sideskirt install question

Started by Chriss, March 17, 2020, 12:37

Chriss

For anyone who has done this job what did you do?

I am just getting ready to install my TRD style side skirts, I decided to use 3M molding tape along the body and under the car, I have removed the rubber grommets from under the car.

I will drill a screw into the arch at either end but what do I do with the arch liner that meets the skirt? Should I put it under the skirt,over it or did you just cut that part of the liner off?

Call the midlife!

Couple of things, 3M tape might not be the best option for the fixing, generally folk use tigerseal or similar. If the tape starts to lose adhesion and lets wind behind the skirt there's a chance of it getting ripped off.
I'm fairly confident (but stand to be corrected) that the arch liners should be contained behind the lip of the wheel arch/panel anyway so therefore shouldn't be in contact with the skirt as such?
Hard to say without seeing your installation but I know that the arch liners aren't an issue with mine.
Having said that I made some blanking plates to cover the ends of mine anyway as I didn't like the way they were finished.
60% of the time it works everytime...

Topdownman

CTM has said it all!

If your skirts are fibreglass then they have to go over the wing and the arch liner sits inside that so no clearance issues and I think it would look odd if you tried to have the arch liner on top of the skirt.

I put one end on the car using a screw to check the fit on the other end as mine had to be forced to fit so impossible to do by just offering up to the car. I used tigerseal and made end caps to hide the screws (3 each end once fitted). The screws are there to get it in place and the TS holds then on the car I reckon. I wouldnt trust tape myself. I know some manufacturers do but that is with oem skirts which would fit a lot better than the ones I have!

Of course, if you are talking about oem plastic skirts then you may be alright.....
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Chriss

Great stuff guys, I will go with a combination of screws and tape, I am using molding tape which is extremely strong but I do get your points about if it is not flush it may allow wind to push against it.

Topdownman

There wasnt much overlap for screwing mine on;

I used tigerseal as a filler for any gaps on the top once glued on and then touched up the dried tigerseal with touch up paint. You will have to make sure you dont have any gaps if just using tape though.

This pic shows why we made up end plates!

Good luck.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Chriss

Thanks for the picture, here are my arches, the rear is fine, I was curious about the front, over all not a lot of metal to play with.

Joesson

@Chriss, the lowest section of my PFL front arch liner, where it is fixed with the plastic pop rivets covers the metal flange. The arch liner above this lower section is tucked in behind the metal flange, whereas your photo seems to show this in front of the flange. I believe this should be tucked in above the U shaped cutout in the liner.
Dependent upon how long you intend to keep you car it may be prudent to first remove the arch liners and clean out any accumulated debris and treat any signs of early corrosion on the underside of the arches.

Chriss

Chriss

Anyone any tips to get these out, such a bugger. I damn near almost tore it out using this tool.

But there has to be an easier way as I know I will just damage my paint if I lever against the arch.

shnazzle

It's knackered anywya. 
Get a small screwdriver, put it in the middle and tap it through with a hammer. Won't need much. That should spit the pin out the other end and you can wiggle it out
...neutiquam erro.

Chriss

Just to end this thread with some results.

There were some fitment issues due to them being replicas, when I had one side perfect the other would have a gap and vice versa, I decided to get as close to a balance as possible, I used halfords double sided tape along the skirt and put self tapping screws into the arches and 2 drilled into the bottom of the skirt where it meets the underbody.

Tags: