New Centre Console (Rexypow)

Started by onion86, May 9, 2020, 18:55

onion86

I bought this 2/3 years back and it's been sitting in the garage along with a bunch of other things... However, I told @StuC at Ding Day 2019 that I'd get this fitted before Ding Day 2020... obviously Ding Day won't be happening, but I've decided to keep to my word and started getting the console ready the bank holiday weekend.

Wasn't sure what to do, all black, or something a bit different. In the end I've gone for making the centre part Sable, which will go nicely to accent my steering wheel and once I've fitted my Celica seats, but also gives a bit more matching with the outer car. Also added a dual USB and relocated with smaller heated seat switches; I've got a new softer Audi armrest to fit.

Need to get hold of a gear stick surround to finish it off! Now to let the paint cure, then will hopefully fit next weekend! Pretty chuffed with the finish for rattle cans.

Test fit (April 2019!) :)

Spraying this weekend:

Not used any lacquer as I'm worried it'll make it all shiny, but may be that it's not going to be very hard wearing?

Let me know what you think. Hope everyone else has had a productive couple of days.
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

wotugonado

The 2 tone looks the part. I don't know why this style one piece console wasn't a factory fit as it finishes/modernises the interior no end.
---------------Tte turbo----------------
      Graced the tarmac from 2014-2019

Ardent

Like that.
And the bum warmer seat switches sensibly placed. Praise be.

Tomo70

Think that's the one you bought from me. Looks great I think I would be tempted to do lacquer. Satin Finnish does look good.
🚘Just a pass time to break the monotony

Ardent

@onion86

I like the finish. Last thing you want is annoying reflections or glare on those lidless drives.

shnazzle

Do NOT do lacquer. 

I know I did mine badly and it was thr subject of much laughter at Ding Day... But even if it was flawless, a glossy black center console in an otherwise matt interior does not work.
...neutiquam erro.

Topdownman

It is hard to get lacquer to stay on. I have the back half on my centre console in gloss black rattle can. When I first did it, the lacquer started to come off after a while so I re did it but with no lacquer.

That is wearing through now though.

I dont personally have any issues with it being gloss although mine isnt as long as yours (fnarr,fnarr).

If you want gloss, I would suggest just going over it with a gloss spray rather than lacquer.

I think you will just have to be prepared to give the occasional respray as it wears (whichever way you go).
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

shnazzle

Dougie put me onto this stuff. 
I haven't used it yet but he used it on his gauge pod and it looks great. 
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191961414872
...neutiquam erro.

onion86

Quote from: Tomo70 on May  9, 2020, 20:19Think that's the one you bought from me.
It is indeed, back in September 2017, I'm always in a rush to fit the things I buy!

I think I'll leave as-is for now, I really don't want a gloss look on it. Will just be careful and try to avoid any damage.

Quote from: shnazzle on May  9, 2020, 21:50Dougie put me onto this stuff.
I haven't used it yet but he used it on his gauge pod and it looks great.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191961414872
Will keep an eye out for that stuff if this wears off, on my watch list now...
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

Rushy67

Quote from: onion86 on May  9, 2020, 18:55I bought this 2/3 years back and it's been sitting in the garage along with a bunch of other things... However, I told @StuC at Ding Day 2019 that I'd get this fitted before Ding Day 2020... obviously Ding Day won't be happening, but I've decided to keep to my word and started getting the console ready the bank holiday weekend.

Wasn't sure what to do, all black, or something a bit different. In the end I've gone for making the centre part Sable, which will go nicely to accent my steering wheel and once I've fitted my Celica seats, but also gives a bit more matching with the outer car. Also added a dual USB and relocated with smaller heated seat switches; I've got a new softer Audi armrest to fit.

Need to get hold of a gear stick surround to finish it off! Now to let the paint cure, then will hopefully fit next weekend! Pretty chuffed with the finish for rattle cans.

Test fit (April 2019!) :)

Spraying this weekend:

Not used any lacquer as I'm worried it'll make it all shiny, but may be that it's not going to be very hard wearing?

Let me know what you think. Hope everyone else has had a productive couple of days.
Looks fantastic, as has been said why this wasn't a standard Toyota fit beggars belief.

Ardent

Just for my clarity.

Is this something  someone has made up? An actual Toyota item? A bit of both.

I get you have added the usb and seat switches.  But the main body us more my question.

shnazzle

Quote from: Ardent on May 10, 2020, 09:06Just for my clarity.

I get you have added the usb and seat switches.  But the main body us more my question.
Aftermarket. 

And very expensive aftermarket at that. 
400+ in primer. 
I think Patrick Chambers made a few as well.
...neutiquam erro.

onion86

Quote from: shnazzle on May 10, 2020, 10:11

Aftermarket.

400+ in primer.
Aye, they were around the $300 mark delivered to the UK I believe (about 1/2 item 1/2 shipping) + UK duty on top. Were on SC or eBay - https://www.spyderchat.com/threads/gb-dwm-spyda-centre-console-frp-fiberglass.30847/

I always wanted one after seeing one in the flesh, but never bit the bullet, bought this from Tom in the end about 5/6 years later. Patrick was making copies of them for around the £200 mark, he sold quite a few through Facebook.

Call the midlife!

They're a lovely thing, I know when I transported it from that London I was tempted myself but they still don't make the best use of the available space for me.
Could've made the top tray/dish deeper than standard for one thing, increase the carrying capacity 😂.
60% of the time it works everytime...

onion86

Quote from: Call the midlife! on May 10, 2020, 11:06They're a lovely thing, I know when I transported it from that London I was tempted myself but they still don't make the best use of the available space for me.
Could've made the top tray/dish deeper than standard for one thing, increase the carrying capacity 😂.
I know what you mean, with my armrest on it could've had a huge space underneath. I think there's not a huge amount of extra room that can be used though due to the handbrake cables.

Call the midlife!

No, there's not much more room I agree, a bit wider and deeper but that's all. But big enough to be more useful 🤓
60% of the time it works everytime...

Ardent

Quote from: onion86 on May 10, 2020, 10:49
Quote from: shnazzle on May 10, 2020, 10:11

Aftermarket.

400+ in primer.
Aye, they were around the $300 mark delivered to the UK I believe (about 1/2 item 1/2 shipping) + UK duty on top. Were on SC or eBay - https://www.spyderchat.com/threads/gb-dwm-spyda-centre-console-frp-fiberglass.30847/

I always wanted one after seeing one in the flesh, but never bit the bullet, bought this from Tom in the end about 5/6 years later. Patrick was making copies of them for around the £200 mark, he sold quite a few through Facebook.
That's killed that.
I like it but not that much

Topdownman

I agree that for the money these things cost, they should have lowered the cupholder and tray area, even if it was only 1-2 cms as you want it to look different from the stock one.

Thats a great looking armrest you have there. Really makes it look more upmarket and not too tall either. Having that should reduce the paint wear that you would have got from your elbow.

Which car is that from?
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

onion86

Quote from: Topdownman on May 10, 2020, 14:30I agree that for the money these things cost, they should have lowered the cupholder and tray area, even if it was only 1-2 cms as you want it to look different from the stock one.

Thats a great looking armrest you have there. Really makes it look more upmarket and not too tall either. Having that should reduce the paint wear that you would have got from your elbow.

Which car is that from?
It's an Audi A4 type one like below I bought a while back and cut the hinge off. I like my current Rover one but it's hard plastic with just a leather cover, wanted something a bit softer, this one is padded.

Topdownman

Looks much better than the rover ones and I didnt find them comfortable either.

Probably a reasonable chance of finding one in a scrapyard too.

Good find!
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

StuC

@onion86
Stu, it looks spot on mate. Lovin the 2 tone.
Looking forward to the finished pic in the car now.
Happy to have encouraged you to get it fitted. Good result I reckon.

What's next?
Btw, how are the kick panels holding up for you?
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Topdownman

Quote from: StuC on May 11, 2020, 22:44@onion86
Stu, it looks spot on mate. Lovin the 2 tone.
Looking forward to the finished pic in the car now.
Happy to have encouraged you to get it fitted. Good result I reckon.

What's next?

Washing his car I hope!
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

onion86

Got the console in.... not quite finished with the wiring yet, but here's a before and after :) Really love it, especially with the 'Sable' 2 tone effect. I've just bought some of the paint @shnazzle mentioned because it doesn't look quite perfect how it it, sounds like that might also be a little more hard wearing.

onion86

Quote from: StuC on May 11, 2020, 22:44@onion86 What's next?

Next I've got some new Focal speakers to fit. Still also need to wire in my DRLs that I installed... also need to wash the car, but no point until I get on the roof and get bird spikes back in the TV aerial.

Kick panels still look great! I had them out today to fit this and some of the carpet had come away from the double sided tape, just stuck it back down again. It was completely unnoticeable from the outside, likely to happen from the heat over time I guess.

shnazzle

Quote from: onion86 on May 16, 2020, 20:50Got the console in.... not quite finished with the wiring yet, but here's a before and after :) Really love it, especially with the 'Sable' 2 tone effect. I've just bought some of the paint @shnazzle mentioned because it doesn't look quite perfect how it it, sounds like that might also be a little more hard wearing.
For laughs I just took my old center console, sanded a piece down very roughly to get the crap gloss black off (120grit,way too harsh), and quickly sprayed some of that K2 stuff on. 

I'm impressed. I think you'll like it. Make sure to get a few primer sprays out on a scrap somewhere and go easy on it. It's dead thick and dries quickly. 
The finish is textured and matt. 

I'm going to sand down the rest of the console and give it a spray with this to revive it.
...neutiquam erro.

Tags: