Body kit fixing

Started by Zxrob, June 3, 2020, 10:03

Zxrob

Guys/Girls

Got some body kit parts to fit, need to trial fit, prime and paint, I will be fixing with double sided tape, tiger seal and self tappers where required, question is, there are loads of tapes about, any recommendations from past experience

Cheers Rob
Adventure before dementia 😁

Joesson

I am aware that 3M produce a range of double sided tapes that are use in the Car manufacturing and other industries:

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/bonding-and-assembly-us/double-sided-tape/

Topdownman

I had a bonnet lip spoiler on my T4 van for a while. The centre section had 3m tape on, the 2 angled ends (that followed the sweep back of the bonnet) had unspecified tape on.

The 3m tape stayed on fine and I actually broke the spoiler pulling it off. The end sections had both come loose though.

There are lots of 3m copies though so make sure you are buying genuine 3m (its expensive!).

My bodykit is held on with just tigerseal and a few tiny self tappers on the ends of the skirts and no problems so far....
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Call the midlife!

I've given up trying to get my new lip to fit where I want it to with enough confidence that it won't pull away and break the Tigerseal.
So I'm going to bolt it on and make a feature of the bolts, as you do...
60% of the time it works everytime...

Zxrob

Cheers folks

Was looking at the 3m, I've used double sided tape on other things over the years, some are ok, most are poor

Rob
Adventure before dementia 😁

Smithy

Quote from: Call the midlife! on June  3, 2020, 11:00I've given up trying to get my new lip to fit where I want it to with enough confidence that it won't pull away and break the Tigerseal.
any pictures available?
03 Astral black MR2 OEM+

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Smithy on June  4, 2020, 14:22
Quote from: Call the midlife! on June  3, 2020, 11:00I've given up trying to get my new lip to fit where I want it to with enough confidence that it won't pull away and break the Tigerseal.
any pictures available?
Not as yet, it's work in progress, or lack of progress the last couple of days. Won't be any movement on it for a while now either due to family commitments but hopefully one day.
60% of the time it works everytime...

Tags: