Alpine CD received

Started by Joesson, June 9, 2020, 14:34

Joesson

Sometimes I read on here about various "Head units" , original and those retro fitted.
My 2002 came with an Alpine CD receiver, CDE 9872 with MP3 facility. I use the radio and the CD player. Not tried the MP3 function although we have an iPod that I believe can be connected to it.
Can some one tell me please, is this an OE option or an aftermarket addition and how near the bottom is this unit in the grand scheme of things audio.

s12vea

It would be aftermarket
Alpine units have a nice sound and the internal amp is pretty powerful
TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

Topdownman

I guess its quite old now?

I imagine the mp3 means that you can record a cd of mp3s thereby getting say 10 albums on one disc rather than 1 album on a cd?

If so, you would need to make your own mp3 discs which would require a cd drive on a laptop/desktop computer?

To plug in an ipod then I think you would need some sort of aux. input?
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Joesson

Thank you @s12vea,
@Topdownman, many of my things are quite old now!
Hadn't thought about "recording" multiple albums on one cd. I do have a pc with cd drive so maybe look into that. Wouldn't have to carry so many cd's and thus "add some lightness".
I did look at auxiliary lead for the iPod / Alpine maybe I'll have another look at that if the basic unit is acknowledged as having a nice sound and is reasonably powerful. That together with my electronically enhanced hearing should be good enough for me.
Thank you both.

s12vea

Quote from: Topdownman on June  9, 2020, 15:56I guess its quite old now?

I imagine the mp3 means that you can record a cd of mp3s thereby getting say 10 albums on one disc rather than 1 album on a cd?

If so, you would need to make your own mp3 discs which would require a cd drive on a laptop/desktop computer?

You should be able to burn many Albums onto a CD or if you have an AUX in (3.5mm jack) you can just plug mobile phone in or as you said iPad adaptor would mean plugging directly in and being able to control from headunit.
Another idea would be a new single din unit with Bluetooth they are sub £50 now and stream from mobile wirelessly.
TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

Joesson

Quote from: s12vea on June  9, 2020, 16:54
Quote from: Topdownman on June  9, 2020, 15:56I guess its quite old now?

You should be able to burn many Albums onto a CD or if you have an AUX in (3.5mm jack) you can just plug mobile phone in or as you said iPad adaptor would mean plugging directly in and being able to control from headunit.
Another idea would be a new single din unit with Bluetooth they are sub £50 now and stream from mobile wirelessly.

Thanks for that info, all a far cry from the 8 track system that someone insisted I try out (many moons ago) he wanted to sell it. After trying it for a weekend I knew why he wanted to sell it!

Tags: