Air compressor painting basics- any tips?

Started by jvanzyl, August 8, 2020, 10:47

jvanzyl

Hi Folks,
Is there a decent resource that anyone can point me to on how to use a paint gun, mix paints, nozzle basics etc that you trust?

There's loads of info out there and it's a bit like trying to get a quick answer out of mumsnet- 8 pages of backstory and no real answer.

The stage I'm at is prepping a fibreglass body kit, so I'm expecting to have to apply filler, and high build primer, followed by normal primer and base coat and then lacquer.

Thanks very much!

jvanzyl

I've found the following shop to supply paint:
https://www.carcolourservices.co.uk

There are a lot of options with brands primer and clear coats... I'm planning on trying out the following for primer:

https://www.carcolourservices.co.uk/product/mipa-2k-highbuild-primer-41-5lt-kit/

And this one for the clear coat:

https://www.carcolourservices.co.uk/product/max-meyer-0200-hs-clear-coat-kit/

The base coat is something they mix for you... so it could be quite wrong..

Still need to go though all the tips and the guns that came with the compressor and see what I have and even if they are matched to what I need. That website sold some shockingly expensive spray guns.

Topdownman

I would think your first coat would need to be fibreglass primer?
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

jvanzyl

Quote from: Topdownman on August 12, 2020, 07:28I would think your first coat would need to be fibreglass primer?

Ah I've been reading about how you have to prevent the micro bubbles... right so a different primer then!

Joesson

@jvanzyl
I posted this in chit chat a little while back
How to paint your car at home
Maybe it will be of some help to you, 23 viewers on here and no adverse comments.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=Lw0ObOdWnRE

jvanzyl

Quote from: Joesson on August 12, 2020, 09:02@jvanzyl
I posted this in chit chat a little while back
How to paint your car at home
Maybe it will be of some help to you, 23 viewers on here and no adverse comments.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=Lw0ObOdWnRE

Ah thanks for this I did watch it.
Not sure how to get hold of Eastwood stuff here? Haven't looked too hard I must admit, but I suspect it's a US only thing.

jvanzyl

Quote from: jvanzyl on August 12, 2020, 08:57
Quote from: Topdownman on August 12, 2020, 07:28I would think your first coat would need to be fibreglass primer?

Ah I've been reading about how you have to prevent the micro bubbles... right so a different primer then!

Found this one which at least mentions it..

https://www.carcolourservices.co.uk/product/upoxy-super-etch-primer-kit/

Looking at the spec sheet of the compressor I got, it is borderline able to produce enough flow so my first attempts will definitely be in the lower/cheaper volumes!

scm2004red

MR2 Red Edition 2004
Porsche 924 1984

Zxrob

Quote from: jvanzyl on August  8, 2020, 10:47Hi Folks,
Is there a decent resource that anyone can point me to on how to use a paint gun, mix paints, nozzle basics etc that you trust?

There's loads of info out there and it's a bit like trying to get a quick answer out of mumsnet- 8 pages of backstory and no real answer.

The stage I'm at is prepping a fibreglass body kit, so I'm expecting to have to apply filler, and high build primer, followed by normal primer and base coat and then lacquer.

Thanks very much!

I can show you the tools/info I use for home painting, I am back home Friday evening so could post up the weekend if you want

Cheers Rob
Adventure before dementia 😁

jvanzyl

jvanzyl

Quote from: Zxrob on August 13, 2020, 15:22
Quote from: jvanzyl on August  8, 2020, 10:47Hi Folks,

Thanks very much!

I can show you the tools/info I use for home painting, I am back home Friday evening so could post up the weekend if you want

Cheers Rob

That'd be terrific, thanks so much!

lukeydoo

Hello! Are you prepping some side skirts which you bought from eBay maybe?! :)

Sand with 320 after filling using a block as much as possible, spray a few coats of Lechlar epoxy with a LVHP gun, a 1.3 tip and using a reasonably sized compressor e.g. 3hp, sand with 600/800 and then take it somewhere for topcoat.

2k paint is very toxic and the setup to spray it is very expensive, so you are best getting a bodyshop to do base and clear. 1k paint is hobby use but is rubbish compared to 2k.

lukeydoo

Mig welding forum is super helpful for painting and reading the health warning of using 2k paint.

The company pointed you to 2 pack paint but this can be deadly! Jot and do non-isocyanate 2k clear if you do want to paint it yourself and I can recommend it as I've used it before.

Zxrob

I recently painted my bodykit for the MR2, I hae done quite a bit of painting over the years and get some decent results, I am certainly not a pro and dont profess to be one, this is how I did mine

Prep
Rub them down staring off with 120 grit, use a sanding block where you can, fill any imperfections (I use upol smooth filler), then rub them down again using 180 grit, I never go above 240 for priming, the primer needs a good "abrasion" surface to adhere to

Priming
I always use a two pack high build primer applied with a 1.8 needle tip, pressure wise, 25-30 psi, mist the first coat on with a fast application, 2nd and third coats put on wet with a slower application, dont rush the primer stage, give each coat 10-15 minutes to dry, but above all, dont put it on to thick, this can cause you problems the top and clear coat

Colour coat
Sand your primer down progressively, start with 400 grit and finish off with 600 grit (go to 800 grit if you are painting with metalics. Make sure you degrease all surfaces and wipe over with a tack rag, mix your basecoat, filter the paint into your spay pot, I use a 1.3mm tip for paint and clear, pressure wise around 25 psi, apply the first coat , mist again, let it dry, tack rag off and apply a wet coat, you will probably get away with 2 wet coats, again, dont put to much on, you are looking to completely cover with the colour but thats all, its the clear coat that provides the end finish and protection

Clear coat
If you can, apply your clear coat after about an hour of applying the colour coat, leave it to late, a week for example and you will have to prep the colour for clear, apply first mist coat, pressure up a bit, 27-30 psi, apply 2-3 further wet coats but when the clear is tacky, not dry

As you will be painting at home you will inevitably get imperfections in the clear, flies etc, wait at least a week before coulour sanding to get a lovely finish

Notes and tips
2 pack paints and clear are not good for you health, the proper way to spray with these is to use an air fed mask system, I use a Gerson respirator with disposable filters, it is  very good (you see the pros using them) and will protect you on small jobs

Try not to paint below 20 deg
Take your time
Expect to make mistakes
Get your preparation right
Take your car or a panel to a paint shop, they will scan itand mix the colour up correctly
Set the spay pressure at the gun using a regulator, the pressure on the compressor will be different
Use a water trap between the compressor and the gun

Below is a selection of the tools/consumables I use

Hope this helps

Rob
You cannot view this attachment.

jvanzyl

This is excellent!
Thank you so much!
I shall be using this as a reference guide, very much appreciated!

Zxrob

Quote from: jvanzyl on August 16, 2020, 22:12This is excellent!
Thank you so much!
I shall be using this as a reference guide, very much appreciated!

No Problem

Again, I am not a painter, its just experience I've picked up over the years, if you want a 100% professional finish then get it done by the pros, if you want to try yourself you can achieve good results

Once you have some half decent equipment you are ready to go, you will make mistakes, you will cock it up but you will learn as well, number one thing is to get the prep correct, take you time, dont rush it

Rob

Tags: