New body kit and the insurance company

Started by ade1971, August 18, 2020, 06:42

ade1971

Hello just a quick I have bought myself a new spoiler ( it's a GT) for my Mk3 Toyota mr2 and wondering about weather I need to tell the insurance company or any thing . As I planning to do the whole car eventually and was just like I say wondering
Any suggestions
Ade71

J88TEO

Bought - no need.
Installed - yes!
Any addition to the standard car is considered "modification".

Jay

Declare everything.

Flux even wanted to know if I had added any decals.

shnazzle

I literally have the sticker on my rear windshield declared. Whcih reminds me...I need to un-declare that as I got a different soft top...  

Seriously, don't give these insurance guys an inch. 
It's tempting to not declare things to save a penny or two but in the end it COULD end very badly.

Insurers like Greenlight are better for us because their quote only goes up if you increase your power, or go above the agreed power threshold. I'm capped at 190 (in case I went 2zz at the time) so my quote doesn't go up unless I go over that.

Other insurers can be utter pains with mods
...neutiquam erro.

househead

My insurer (elephant, admiral group) have always been good about this stuff. Under modifications (after telling them about some simple cosmetic mods) they've added...

Exterior decorative changes
Interior changes

So I've not told them about each and every single one of the subsequent changes that IMO fit in these categories.

They've never added money onto the premium when I have told them about cosmetic changes.

If you paint any stripes on your vehicle though, you'll need to let them know as each stripe adds at least 10hp
2004 Sable Red Edition, TTE Twin Exhaust, Toyosports Manifold

J88TEO

If you paint any stripes on your vehicle though, you'll need to let them know as each stripe adds at least 10hp

I should paint 10 stripes on each side  :))  :))  :))

househead

Quote from: J88TEO on August 18, 2020, 15:10I should paint 10 stripes on each side  :))  :))  :))

In that case I also recommend a suspension upgrade and a new clutch :D
2004 Sable Red Edition, TTE Twin Exhaust, Toyosports Manifold

Zxrob

I have just renewed my insurance on the MR2 and declared the bodykit and exhaust mods I have done this year, cost me £15 extra :)

Rob
Adventure before dementia 😁

BahnStormer

greenlight don't change a penny extra unless it adds power... but you still have to declare EVERYTHING...
Black 2006: AC & heated leather: 4x Megillian braces, Koni/Tein custom suspension, MTEC+YS+braided brakes, Toyosports manifold, TTE exhaust, Conti PremiumContact2(summer)/ Conti TS860S(winter) / YokoAD08RS (track/summer), Pioneer MVH-390BT + TS-E171ci, FBSW, Robbins mohair hood.

Tags: