Number plate surround question

Started by Mr2paul, October 19, 2020, 20:54

SV-3

Quote from: 1979scotte on October 24, 2020, 18:30@shnazzle can we rename this the anal thread.

We'd get loads of hits.
Nah, we're saving that title for 'Sway bars, anti roll bars' ;D
'03 Mk3 Chilli Red (Avon ZV7's: 26F/32R)
Sony WX-920BT
"Hardtop Cognoscenti"
"Stock Cubed"
"AirCon Aficionado"
"Keeper of the Beeper"
Ex '88 Mk1b White (Yokohama A539's: 26F/28R)
"Here we all are, rumours and old toffee abound." John Martyn

Joesson

@Ardent Sorry Jason, this concern about your rear end is all superfluous, don't worry about what it looks like, with a Turbo on board no one gets near enough to check it out!

Ardent

Quote from: tets on October 24, 2020, 17:45Will the big plate fit behind the inserts and small plate in front?
Good call. Never thought of that, but can see where you are going.
Gut feeling says no. The upstands? that the plate fixes to look as though they could be persuaded to sit a bit further back. But, Mr T had designed a couple of protrusions in the lower section so plate sat flush. But nothing that could not be hacked away.

Ardent

Quote from: Joesson on October 24, 2020, 19:07@Ardent Sorry Jason, this concern about your rear end is all superfluous, don't worry about what it looks like, with a Turbo on board no one gets near enough to check it out!
Which is a shame, as I have very pert gluteus maximus. Dead lifts and Squats have a lot to answer for. ;)

Ardent

Quote from: 1979scotte on October 24, 2020, 18:30@shnazzle can we rename this the anal thread.

We'd get loads of hits.
I was doing my usual Sat night search, and ended up here. :o

tets

Quote from: SV-3 on October 24, 2020, 18:50

We'd get loads of hits.
Nah, we're saving that title for 'Sway bars, anti roll bars' ;D

I'm quite enjoying that one as I have no idea what i'm talking about but attempting to appear to haha

Smithy

I have the same issue and I think I will attempt some kind of back plate. too much yellow but legal I think. I had a stick on front plate, sold as legal but MOT man said no.
03 Astral black MR2 OEM+

Ardent

Plate could do with shaving down. Just like mine.
Interesting on the front plate. I have gone through at least 3 mot, maybe 4. Without issue re stick on plate.
All correct font, size and spacing.
Not like some of the creations out there.

Ardent

I could dig out the part numbers if you are considering getting the little infill panels.

Smithy

That would be helpful Jason yes please.
03 Astral black MR2 OEM+

Ardent

@Smithy
Sorry chap, completely forgot.

52163-17020 and 52164-17020

Hope you can source them cheaper than I did. I got mine Oct 15. £13.45ea :o

Smithy

Oh thanks Jason. I take it that's Mr T part numbers?
03 Astral black MR2 OEM+

Ardent

Quote from: Smithy on October 29, 2020, 10:14Oh thanks Jason. I take it that's Mr T part numbers?
Yep Mr t part numbers for face lift rear.

Smithy

03 Astral black MR2 OEM+

Ardent

Apologies for double post. But just in case.

Ordered a 3rd rear number plate.

The second plate is the mutts nutts, in terms of size and style.
Sadly, that is until it is offered up to the car. And gap between plates edges and infill panel edges becomes blindingly apparent. So plate 2 will go in the bin having never been attached to a car. Tw@.

Plate 3 is the same Size font as plate 2. But being wider, I will be able to trim down the width to suit. Still wider than I would like. But as an aesthetic compromise, will look better than 2 chuffing big gaps.

Ardent

As it was.
You cannot view this attachment.
New plate trimmed down to edges of infill panels. Still too much yellow, but better. May try with some black vinyl 10mm strips down each side just Square the plate up a bit.
You cannot view this attachment.

LeRich

Looks really good. I'm going to try something similar with my car which has short number plates because its 5-digit reg mumber.

Ardent

Short digit plate or a plate with a 1 in it helps a lot. Esp if going stick on, on the front.
Still considering running some black tape/vinyl down the edges to lose some more yellow.

LeRich

Quote from: Ardent on November 25, 2020, 23:30Short digit plate or a plate with a 1 in it helps a lot. Esp if going stick on, on the front.
Still considering running some black tape/vinyl down the edges to lose some more yellow.

Cheap and easy to try and almost instant to reverse so worth trying. Insulation tape would work well.

Ardent

My thoughts exactly.
Much happier with this arrangement than previous. So if the tape does not work. No so much an issues.

Tags: