Side skirt refurb

Started by CB 1971, October 23, 2020, 17:53

CB 1971

hi all,
Just bought a set of genuine tte skirts not in the best condition need to be stripped and sprayed,could anybody tell me the best way to strip paint off without damaging plastic,also still has sealant where they where fitted previously tried warming and scraping off no success though any ideas what to use to,

Topdownman

Are you having them professionally painted? If so, you can let the professional do it and just pay a bit more prep time. This will give the best job.

If you have some cellulose thinners, that will take off rattle can paint if that has been used and it would be worth getting that off before taking to a professional as its very messy and time consuming and they wont thank you for that. They cant paint on top of rattle can paint. You could try the thinners on the residue too. Otherwise, white spirit or petrol maybe?

If you were thinking of using rattle cans yourself, I would say get a quote first from a professional as by the time you have bought everything, its not cheap doing it yourself and no guarantee about the quality and match you will end up with.

Depending on what paint is on there, you dont need to remove all the paint but just need to get it level and inert.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

CB 1971

Managed to strip paint off with paint stripper and wire wool,the skirts need primer and painting could anybody give me a rough price how much to get sprayed by a body shop,also anyone know how the skirts are best fixed ,

Joesson

Quote from: CB 1971 on October 28, 2020, 19:51Managed to strip paint off with paint stripper and wire wool,the skirts need primer and painting could anybody give me a rough price how much to get sprayed by a body shop,also anyone know how the skirts are best fixed ,

@Topdownman has answered this very question in one of his posts. You could try "Search" for his posts or he may notice this and come along and link it for you.

CB 1971

hi again can anybody tell  me what is the purpose of the holes in underside of the sills with the rubber grommets in them ,are theses easy to take out ?

Tags: