Bespoke body kit

Started by Joesson, November 11, 2020, 13:23

Joesson

Elsewhere on our Forum there was discussion about the availability of Hard Tops. This led to my asking if it was cost effective to manufacture new tops, this then led to the manufacture of sills, and perhaps other custom parts. Post repeated here:

It occurred to me that with the escalating price of the HT there might be some mileage in getting reproduction tops made.
Without a lot of research I found a company offering bespoke glass fibre products for automotive and asked the question.
This morning I received the reply:

Thank you for your email, we could build some sort of hard top but would need something to go by, we can't make it the same as the original one as it would cost more than a second hand one

Thank you
Adrian Hall
AG Fiberglass
www.ag_fiberglass.co.uk
07794 629810

That probably knocks that idea on the head but I would add that in their "gallery" they show sill mouldings for a Supra.

PS
I asked Adrian about sill mouldings for the 2 and he replied:

"Thats great thank you, how i do new kits is if someone let's me use there car to build it on so I know it all fits and looks right they get it at cost price then I keep the moulds and reproduce the parts "

He is located in :
Chipping Norton
Oxon
OX7 5XL

So if any one is interested in a body kit contact him directly.

Chilli Girl

Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

scm2004red

These guys have been producing f/g classic car panels for years, all of their hardtops are £800 plus, and you often need to remove hood fasteners to re use on the hardtop, not really sure whether it would be  economic sense to produce MR2 versions?

https://honeybournemouldings.co.uk/price_list_hardtops.html
MR2 Red Edition 2004
Porsche 924 1984

Joesson

Quote from: scm2004red on November 11, 2020, 14:18These guys have been producing f/g classic car panels for years, all of their hardtops are £800 plus, and you often need to remove hood fasteners to re use on the hardtop, not really sure whether it would be  economic sense to produce MR2 versions?

https://honeybournemouldings.co.uk/price_list_hardtops.html

I told AG what second hand tops were fetching and his response was that a copy would cost more than second hand. Maybe that means he could produce " some sort of top " for less but I doubt many would want something that wasn't right.

I have no interest in adding bits to my car, but am aware that others like to customise their cars so if they see these posts they can enquire further.
As someone on here says from time to time
" Every day is a school day"
Honeybourne Mouldings are very close to home. I know of various car associated companies in that area but not heard of that one.

Petrus

Hmmm. You´d think they could reproduce bonnets and rear lids in lighweight version....

scm2004red

Like all of these places they want to make something with a decent run of units to cover initial pre production mould and trial costs.
MR2 Red Edition 2004
Porsche 924 1984

Joesson

Quote from: Petrus on November 11, 2020, 17:07Hmmm. You´d think they could reproduce bonnets and rear lids in lighweight version....

According to Honeybourne Mouldings web site they make bonnets and lids for, amongst others, the MGF so it certainly can be done, they have a "Spanish" language paragraph or two about delivery.
The biggest question is cost, hard top is upwards of £800, but that is the sort of price level for pre owned on eBay.
PS they also refer to Racing weight to be specified for light weight product.

Petrus

Quote from: scm2004red on November 11, 2020, 17:48Like all of these places they want to make something with a decent run of units to cover initial pre production mould and trial costs.

Sure, though I noticed DAF44/55 and 66 panels!!

´Racing weight´ sounds promising! Joesson!!

Do you happen to have a spare bonnet/rear lid?
I suppose Adam28 does :-)

Tags: