Open flat face wheel nuts

Started by moca2cv, November 19, 2020, 20:06

moca2cv

Anyone found a UK source of open wheel nuts for OE wheels? I will have a couple of sets of wheels and want slightly longer studs, but that means when I put on the OE wheels the nuts will bottom out.

Joesson

Quote from: moca2cv on November 19, 2020, 20:06Anyone found a UK source of open wheel nuts for OE wheels? I will have a couple of sets of wheels and want slightly longer studs, but that means when I put on the OE wheels the nuts will bottom out.

Iirc @shnazzle had something to say about this subject not long ago. You may find it if you search his posts or he may notice this mention and call in personally.

moca2cv

Quote from: Joesson on November 19, 2020, 20:16
Quote from: moca2cv on November 19, 2020, 20:06Anyone found a UK source of open wheel nuts for OE wheels? I will have a couple of sets of wheels and want slightly longer studs, but that means when I put on the OE wheels the nuts will bottom out.

Iirc @shnazzle had something to say about this subject not long ago. You may find it if you search his posts or he may notice this mention and call in personally.

Thanks - I had a look but couldn't see anything (apart from people asking for different colour nuts!). I shall look again :)

moca2cv

Quote from: MRSwede on November 23, 2020, 10:23https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LONG-STEEL-EXTENDED-OPEN-WHEEL-NUTS-BLACK-M12-x-1-5-fits-TOYOTA-SUPRA-CELICA-MR2/273771829460?hash=item3fbe1298d4:g:adAAAOSwtnpXobhP
Thanks, but those are tapered. Plenty of choice for tapered nuts, but not flat face nuts.

I've seen some Peugeot ones that look like they might work - guess I'll just have to buy one and test it!

rusty0273

Have you checked that the deeper of the two OEM closed options (the ones designed to go on the back wheels) are not deep enough? The shallower front nuts do fit on the rear so there is definitely room for a slightly longer stud length to be used

gon

I just cut the top of my OEM ones and used a tap to make them threaded all the way ?

moca2cv

Quote from: rusty0273 on November 24, 2020, 13:17Have you checked that the deeper of the two OEM closed options (the ones designed to go on the back wheels) are not deep enough? The shallower front nuts do fit on the rear so there is definitely room for a slightly longer stud length to be used

I have not... but if I'm getting 20mm longer studs, I can't imagine there's that much room in there.

moca2cv

Quote from: gon on November 24, 2020, 15:27I just cut the top of my OEM ones and used a tap to make them threaded all the way ?

I like this idea! Neat, didn't think of that. I don't have the facilities to do that, but I know a man who does...

gon

:)

hacksaw, vice, tap and tap handle is all you need
M12 x 1.5mm tap that is

moca2cv

Quote from: gon on November 26, 2020, 10:16:)

M12 x 1.5mm tap that is
I don't fancy doing all 16 with a hacksaw, they'd be all over the place 😂 I'll see if the guy I know can squeeze them in.
No idea where I saw the Peugeot nut now. Can't find it for the life of me. Found a Toyota specific one in the US, but they're out of stock. Not a popular fitment!

gon

Quote from: moca2cv on December  1, 2020, 23:16

M12 x 1.5mm tap that is
I don't fancy doing all 16 with a hacksaw, they'd be all over the place 😂 I'll see if the guy I know can squeeze them in.
No idea where I saw the Peugeot nut now. Can't find it for the life of me. Found a Toyota specific one in the US, but they're out of stock. Not a popular fitment!

the metal at the round end is really thin and easy to cut and can be made neat with some sand paper and a flat surface, it really is an easy job

moca2cv

Quote from: gon on December  2, 2020, 10:58
Quote from: moca2cv on December  1, 2020, 23:16

M12 x 1.5mm tap that is

the metal at the round end is really thin and easy to cut and can be made neat with some sand paper and a flat surface, it really is an easy job

Thanks - I'll give it a go on my spares then! 👍🏻

Tags: