Does this sort of radio exist .... ?

Started by SoloNomad, March 18, 2021, 10:17

SoloNomad

Double din unit, knobs and buttons to select stuff, screen that can be used for reversing camera?

I like to have knobs to turn, oo'er  ;) , and buttons to push rather than trying to find something on a touch screen, especially considering the location of the radio in these cars. I'd like to be able to have a reversing camera, I'm used to driving a mwb van so have good vision all round compared to the small low MR2 and my contortionist days are over so there's a few times when with the roof up that small rear window and blind spots are a bit tricky. And of course having an aux input and Bluetooth would be great.

I've seen something close from a company called xtrons, but reviews don't look good. Kenwood have something but the aux is in the back of the unit (why!), an older model that looks ideal isn't available (I'm looking out on ebay for one). There's cheap stuff on amazon, Chinese brands I've never heard of but think they might be a bit of a gamble - anyone purchased one of these? I'd prefer a known brand I've heard of really.

Is there anything else out there, anyone found something like what I'm looking for?

And then one day you find, ten years have got behind you ...

shnazzle

Quote from: SoloNomad on March 18, 2021, 10:17Double din unit, knobs and buttons to select stuff, screen that can be used for reversing camera?

I like to have knobs to turn, oo'er  ;) , and buttons to push rather than trying to find something on a touch screen, especially considering the location of the radio in these cars. I'd like to be able to have a reversing camera, I'm used to driving a mwb van so have good vision all round compared to the small low MR2 and my contortionist days are over so there's a few times when with the roof up that small rear window and blind spots are a bit tricky. And of course having an aux input and Bluetooth would be great.

I've seen something close from a company called xtrons, but reviews don't look good. Kenwood have something but the aux is in the back of the unit (why!), an older model that looks ideal isn't available (I'm looking out on ebay for one). There's cheap stuff on amazon, Chinese brands I've never heard of but think they might be a bit of a gamble - anyone purchased one of these? I'd prefer a known brand I've heard of really.

Is there anything else out there, anyone found something like what I'm looking for?

I've definitely seen a few units that have like an iDrive wheel approach as an alternative to touching the screen. But still very fiddly and generally on the left of the screen. So you have to reach over and then twist and push to go through the menu.

In the end probably just as easy to touch the screen.
...neutiquam erro.

Dev

There is only three that I know of and they are all Kenwood

The cheapest of the bunch is the DMX 1037X and the other two are the XR reference versions.
 I came very close to buying one of the XR versions but I ended up buying last years JVC model that has the same audio guts for less than 1/3 the cost.

Tags: