Door fuse. Need some quick help

Started by Dev, April 21, 2021, 01:49

Dev

Please remove. Figured it out. 

shnazzle

...neutiquam erro.

Dev

No real wealth. Just a wrong avenue of diagnosis in the moment that had very little to do with the underling issue.  It is a very long story but I will make it fun having you all guess the diagnosis. This is why you shouldn't rush fixing your car immediately when you discover a problem. 

My car was having a difficult time starting with my installed start button that has been working fine for many years. When it was starting with the radio turned on there is a loud electrical pop from the subwoofer. Sometimes it wouldn't start with the clutch depressed. I also noticed that the door open indicator light was not illuminated on the dash when the door was open. In a rush I removed the fuse panel but my mistake is I confused the door fuse for the door switches in the doors as being the circuit but I should have known better because the door fuse is for the power locks.

The original problem was I blew out radio fuse when I was installing my head unit. Mistake number one is remove the harness or disconnect the battery. I thought I could do it because I know what I am dong but by accident the power wire from the harness touched the fame. No worries I exchanged the dome light fuse and thought I no longer need my dome light and it is a liability if its left on by accident draining my lithium battery.
 What I come to realize is the dome light circuit is in line with the door switches and the indicator on the dash. 
   I was worried that I had shorted out a circuit in the system and caused an electrical nightmare with other circuits. Thankfully that is not the case.

After a momentary laps of reason after figuring out the dome light fuse is in line with the door open indicator on the dash everything is fine and I believe I found the issue.

Can anyone guess what it is.

Dev

Since no one wants to guess. The problem is a worn clutch pedal position switch. 

The contacts have worn out and was causing my push button start that I installed not to work. When I bypassed it by turning the key to start I heard large pop coming form my speakers.  This was due to a arcing connection. My push button module did not like the arcing and failed to start.

I removed the switch just now and tested it on the bench and the contacts are inconsistent causing the continuity to go wild as the plunger is being depressed. This is how you get electrical noise in the electrical system and it is bad for your electronics.

I will now test it against the new switch which is arriving today.

Time and use will eventually ware out this switches however the failure mode is generally not inconstant they just go out and will leave you stranded. 

Tags: