Alarm

Started by Microgerry, August 21, 2021, 21:02

Microgerry

Hi. Newbie Gerry here.
Just wanted to know if all our cars have an alarm as standard?
I have a 2000 mk3 and can't find any info in the car manual about it. Any tell tale signs I can look for in the car?
Thanks

pauls0212

if its a uk car then yes it came with a factory fitted alarm. the way to tell is under the space saver spare is the sounder for the alarm. If you disconnect the battery you will get a bip bip bip for about 10 seconds.
red 2003 standard so far

Joesson

Quote from: Microgerry on August 21, 2021, 21:02Hi. Newbie Gerry here.
Just wanted to know if all our cars have an alarm as standard?
I have a 2000 mk3 and can't find any info in the car manual about it. Any tell tale signs I can look for in the car?
Thanks

This may be of use:

https://www.toyota-tech.eu/aimuploads/%7B1B61A262-6063-4E19-80F5-01ABC951B6F6%7D/TVSS%20setting%20guide%20for%20TVSS%20IV-S%20%20LHD%20T4SLSET-2-0-F.pdf

And this where it was discussed:
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?msg=825261

Microgerry

Thank you both I will give that a try and check out the pdf

Microgerry

Hi again.

Disconnected the battery and no chirpy chirpy from the sounder.
Have tried locking the car and setting the alarm with the remote button on key then later opening the door by manually unlocking with key in door. Unable to activate the alarm even by waving arms inside the open top of the car.

Any idea where the internal sensors are, so I can check them? Anything else I can look for?

Carolyn

Quote from: Microgerry on August 28, 2021, 17:29Hi again.

Disconnected the battery and no chirpy chirpy from the sounder.
Have tried locking the car and setting the alarm with the remote button on key then later opening the door by manually unlocking with key in door. Unable to activate the alarm even by waving arms inside the open top of the car.

Any idea where the internal sensors are, so I can check them? Anything else I can look for?
The sounder has a small internal capacitor to allow it to 'cheep' when disconnected.  If it isn't 'cheepng' it's probably no good.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Call the midlife!

The alarm control unit is behind the carpet behind the driver's seat where it rises up to the storage bin IF you have one fitted, there should also be a transmitter unit under the centre console.
Do you have a roadster badge on the rear bumper?
It could be that it's a grey import at that age, when availability was  low through "normal" channels some were brought in from other parts of Europe and registered in the UK but didn't get alarms fitted as they were fitted at point of entry for dealership cars.
60% of the time it works everytime...

Microgerry

Well, don't you guys know your stuff???

There is no Roadster badge and when I have looked at the original paperwork I have found the EEC certificate of conformity was issued in Belgium on the 31st May 2000. Subsequently registered in the UK on the 27th November and purchased new by the original owner on the 30th December 2000.

I take it that means I have no alarm then! Looks like it wasn't sold by a Toyota dealer either but by Motorpoint of Derby.

Carolyn

Quote from: Microgerry on August 29, 2021, 11:12Well, don't you guys know your stuff???

There is no Roadster badge and when I have looked at the original paperwork I have found the EEC certificate of conformity was issued in Belgium on the 31st May 2000. Subsequently registered in the UK on the 27th November and purchased new by the original owner on the 30th December 2000.

I take it that means I have no alarm then! Looks like it wasn't sold by a Toyota dealer either but by Motorpoint of Derby.

What side is the indicator stalk on?

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Carolyn on August 29, 2021, 12:18
Quote from: Microgerry on August 29, 2021, 11:12Well, don't you guys know your stuff???

What side is the indicator stalk on?
I only know because mine was the same, everything as it should be for a UK car controls wise but had an aftermarket alarm fitted that didn't work. I looked for the "standard" alarm gubbins to reinstate it and it was all absent, as was the Roadster badge on the rear.

Microgerry

Quote from: Carolyn on August 29, 2021, 12:18What side is the indicator stalk on?

The left

Carolyn

Quote from: Microgerry on August 29, 2021, 13:24
Quote from: Carolyn on August 29, 2021, 12:18What side is the indicator stalk on?

The left
So it's not a JDM car (MR S). I'm surprised it's alarm-less.

so there's no sounder hiding under the spare in the frunk?

paulj

The alarm was fitted at the UK port of entry along with the Sony double din stereo on the prefacelift models.  An outside chance, but does your car have a sony head unit?
Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

Call the midlife!

Another tell tale would be the lack of the "mushroom" plunger switch above the battery.

Microgerry

Quote from: paulj on August 31, 2021, 21:39The alarm was fitted at the UK port of entry along with the Sony double din stereo on the prefacelift models.  An outside chance, but does your car have a sony head unit?
It does now, I fitted one last week. Had a single din Pioneer unit in when I bought it.

Microgerry

Quote from: Call the midlife! on August 31, 2021, 21:40Another tell tale would be the lack of the "mushroom" plunger switch above the battery.
Not sure I understand this one. Do you have a pic of it please?

Microgerry

Quote from: Carolyn on August 29, 2021, 15:50So it's not a JDM car (MR S). I'm surprised it's alarm-less.

I haven't looked yet. Does it involve removing all the plastic frame around the spare wheel holder, or do I remove the frunk itself? Had a look underneath but there are covers under the whole area.

Joesson

Quote from: Microgerry on August 31, 2021, 22:58
Quote from: Carolyn on August 29, 2021, 15:50So it's not a JDM car (MR S). I'm surprised it's alarm-less.

I haven't looked yet. Does it involve removing all the plastic frame around the spare wheel holder, or do I remove the frunk itself? Had a look underneath but there are covers under the whole area.

Just open the front bonnet, open the luggage area flap to see the sparare wheel. Unscrew the retaining screw, lift out the spare, carefully, and the alarm will be under the spare, or not.

Microgerry

Quote from: Joesson on August 31, 2021, 23:04Just open the front bonnet, open the luggage area flap to see the sparare wheel. Unscrew the retaining screw, lift out the spare, carefully, and the alarm will be under the spare, or not.

In that case, not! I have had the wheel out for cleaning and there is no sounder in there.
So no alarm then on my car. Thanks for all your help everyone

Tags: