Warning Windscreen Replacement

Started by normanh, October 30, 2021, 21:15

normanh

I had to have a new screen fitted last week due to a collision with a large stone from a gravel lorry on the M25. Cost to me was £75 excess. The big issue the company that fitted it used a orange S/A tape to fix the screen in place to the body over the screen whilst the adhesive cured. Fine until \i removed it when it took of the lacquer and some paint. The company in question have basically tipped me b-llocks and said its due to the age of the car and its had some repainting. Well that area in place is virgin, the bonnet does need attention due to stone chips. So warning beware my colour is 3PO Chilli Red, has anyone else having issues with lacquer peel?
The company in question gave no warning this might happen at the installation and this tape is as sticky as gaffa tape. I'll name and shame the buggers if I am allowed on the forum so as the word can be spread as all our cars are getting older now.

Norman

Call the midlife!

The red is notorious for lacquer peel to be honest, that said there's plenty of low tack tapes available so you'd expect them to be more savvy with older cars.
60% of the time it works everytime...

McMr2

What a pain.

On the topic of the car s getting older - did they have any trouble finding a replacement windscreen?
2004 Silver. Stock(ish).

normanh

No issues in finding the screen as far as I am aware.

I wondered if red was iffy on lacquer to be honest. They have blanked me totally now and wont respond to emails, I still think the tape is of to higher tack for older cars, I reckon its any old tape they picked up. I am going to have to live with it now. I have a bonnet that is in dire need for a respray now due to stone chips etc so will have to lump this in as well I expect.

Norman

Joesson

They obviously don't want to play nicely @normanh so why not name and shame them on here so that we are aware of that company's capacity for doing damage to our cars?

Call the midlife!

If I remember correctly there are different screens for PFL/FL but I can't remember why.
If it was replaced via your insurance then do you not have a route for complaint/compensation through them if the fitters were subcontracted by the insurance company?
60% of the time it works everytime...

normanh

Insurance paid I just the excess of £75 - Windscreen company was National Windscreens so if you belong to any other forums pass the word around. Will inform the brokers.

Norman

Tags: