Does anyone restore (PFL) headlights ?

Started by TheTigerUK, January 29, 2022, 18:51

TheTigerUK

By restore I don't mean polish the glass I mean strip and reseal them as mine seem to get some condensation at the top.

Are NOS ones available ?
Say it with love, say it with flowers but never, never, say it in writing.

The idea is to die young as late as possible :)

Joesson

Quote from: TheTigerUK on January 29, 2022, 18:51By restore I don't mean polish the glass I mean strip and reseal them as mine seem to get some condensation at the top.

Are NOS ones available ?

My PFL headlights and presumably all others are not totally sealed.
There is a small vent via a tube like orifice from the rear that contains a small piece of, by now partially decayed, foam rubber that I believe acts to prevent ingress by insects.
When working on my lights I replaced said foam with a piece from MrsJ's washing up pads, those with Scotchbrite one side foam on 'tother.

TheTigerUK

Quote from: Joesson on January 29, 2022, 19:04
Quote from: TheTigerUK on January 29, 2022, 18:51By restore I don't mean polish the glass I mean strip and reseal them as mine seem to get some condensation at the top.

Are NOS ones available ?

My PFL headlights and presumably all others are not totally sealed.
There is a small vent via a tube like orifice from the rear that contains a small piece of, by now partially decayed, foam rubber that I believe acts to prevent ingress by insects.
When working on my lights I replaced said foam with a piece from MrsJ's washing up pads, those with Scotchbrite one side foam on 'tother.

I will look at that, thanks, it perhaps needs resealing.

Call the midlife!

You could always try putting them in the oven to soften the adhesive and then manipulate them to push the sealant back into place.
60% of the time it works everytime...

TheTigerUK

Quote from: Call the midlife! on January 29, 2022, 20:06You could always try putting them in the oven to soften the adhesive and then manipulate them to push the sealant back into place.

Thanks, but I am pretty sure I will pass on that :)

Call the midlife!

As long as you follow the instructions in the how to it's fairly safe to try, you could try working around it with a heat gun but it's a bit hit and miss.
60% of the time it works everytime...

Gaz mr-s

Cheapest way to buy new ones is from Toyota's ebay store - when there's a 20% offer on. (£270 pair approx)

TheTigerUK

Quote from: Gaz mr-s on January 29, 2022, 20:38Cheapest way to buy new ones is from Toyota's ebay store - when there's a 20% offer on. (£270 pair approx)

I was just looking, they are £251 each so even with 20% off £400 for the pair ?

Chilli Girl

Sapphire could do with a nearside one but there's no way I'm paying that money I'm afraid. :o
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

Gaz mr-s

Quote from: TheTigerUK on January 29, 2022, 21:38
Quote from: Gaz mr-s on January 29, 2022, 20:38Cheapest way to buy new ones is from Toyota's ebay store - when there's a 20% offer on. (£270 pair approx)

You've looked at the Facelift, not pfl as your post said.

TheTigerUK

Quote from: Gaz mr-s on January 29, 2022, 22:30

Oh yes your correct, thanks, I just read the description and not the part number, there doesent seem to be any in the UK.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323856747216?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

TheTigerUK

Carolyn

I dried mine out by removing the headlamp bulb, using some large diameter rubber hose to act as a duct, and shooting hot air from a hairdryer into the unit.  Took a while.  The condensation hasn't returned in about three years.

When you're done, make sure the rubber seals around the bubs are properly in place.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Gaz mr-s

Quote from: TheTigerUK on January 30, 2022, 10:19
Quote from: Gaz mr-s on January 29, 2022, 22:30

Oh yes your correct, thanks, I just read the description and not the part number, there doesent seem to be any in the UK.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323856747216?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Toyota's shop is crap to navigate, but I couldn't have stated the price if they weren't there.  But bide your time, probably within a month they'll be available 20% off.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224381761944?hash=item343e31f998:g:vVkAAOSwRHxgSevB
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223715259139?hash=item341677f303:g:NeAAAOSwpDBfAvkI

Alex Knight

I bought some brand new PFL headlights. After fitting, I treated them with UV protector and washed the car. The headlights condensated straight away.

Gibla

Quoted £292.80 delivered for a new pair of PFL headlights by Paul Pridham at TCB

https://www.tcbparts.co.uk/
stock 2001 Dark Green MR-S (6R4)
stock 2004 Black - repurchased from guy who bought yellow 'un

TheTigerUK

Quote from: Alex Knight on January 31, 2022, 07:19I bought some brand new PFL headlights. After fitting, I treated them with UV protector and washed the car. The headlights condensated straight away.

Disappointing :(

TheTigerUK

Headlight Restorer Kit.

Any recommendations or are all the kits basically the same ?

When using a power tool/cordless drill to polish them does the revs matter ?

fawtytoo

To get the yellow off, I used lots of T-Cut and elbow grease. If the surface has pitting or scratches/gouges, you may need to sand and apply some sort of plastic resin.
A high speed drill is definitively preferable.

Avoid wipes. It's just an optical illusion and does not last very long.

And lacquer when done.
"My name is not important" - Slartibartfast

No.Lows

For one headlight I used a rainx headlight kit, the other I used wet and dry paper and finished with a machine polisher. Honestly for the £10 the kit cost, you can't argue with it. The machined light obviously came off nicer but for £10 the difference is great

Tags: