The nearly an Elise Project

Started by Danny Scarbro, February 22, 2022, 14:47

Danny Scarbro

Another little update, had an afternoon free and it was a nice day so I degreased and sanded down the subframe. I was pleased to see its in pretty good condition. 

I rust treated any areas that were just showing signs of rust starting then gave it a few coats of hammerite.

Another job on the list was to give the engine bay abit of a tidy up and paint whilst the engine is out.

So again I dregreased, sanded down and painted it. I've always not liked it when engine bays are a dull finish compared to the rest of the paint on the car so I matched it up to the outside.

Then put the subframe and wheels back on so I can push it in and out the garage till the engine goes back in.

Am going to get the engine degreased and painted today and fingers crossed the ITBs should be arriving so I'll post some pics up later!

Dan

fawtytoo

Quote from: Danny Scarbro on April  6, 2022, 09:45I've always not liked it when engine bays are a dull finish compared to the rest of the paint on the car so I matched it up to the outside.

The paintwork on the outside of mine is becoming dull, and soon it'll match the finish in the engine bay. Then nobody will notice the engine bay looking bad.
"My name is not important" - Slartibartfast

FredyCro

What a lovely read and effort,looking forward seeing new posts in this thread!
IG: optimal_zzw30

ucb

Quote from: Danny Scarbro on April  6, 2022, 09:45Another little update, had an afternoon free and it was a nice day so I degreased and sanded down the subframe. I was pleased to see its in pretty good condition. 

I rust treated any areas that were just showing signs of rust starting then gave it a few coats of hammerite.

Another job on the list was to give the engine bay abit of a tidy up and paint whilst the engine is out.

So again I dregreased, sanded down and painted it. I've always not liked it when engine bays are a dull finish compared to the rest of the paint on the car so I matched it up to the outside.

Then put the subframe and wheels back on so I can push it in and out the garage till the engine goes back in.

Am going to get the engine degreased and painted today and fingers crossed the ITBs should be arriving so I'll post some pics up later!

Dan

And to think it takes me all afternoon to change over some wheels....
Wished I had the experience and skills for this sort of job!!

Mark A

Danny Scarbro

Quote from: ucb on April  7, 2022, 21:39And to think it takes me all afternoon to change over some wheels....
Wished I had the experience and skills for this sort of job!!

:))  :))  I started there mate! I'm no professional but its amazing what your capable of it you try.

@Mark - The shifter was circa £500/600 delivered.

Thanks

moca2cv

Quote from: Danny Scarbro on April  5, 2022, 12:54I've just had a look at the Job you did on your, looks really good. If you could dig them out that would be brilliant!

Thanks

Sent you a message - sorry for the delay!

Danny Scarbro

Got another couple of days on the MR2 so made abit more progress.

The Gearbox was inspected and much to my relief just needed new bearings, so I had this rebuilt.

I then stripped down, cleaned and painted the engine and ancillaries ready to put back in.

And then put them back together and back into the car, really pleased with how it all looks all fresh and painted.

I had put a new passenger Driveshaft in before the last track day so I also put the new one onto the drivers side too so they are matching.

I also have a refurbished Wrinkle red oem rocker cover to go on and new gaskets but am waiting till its all back together in case I mark it...been there and made that mistake before!

For the time been Im abit up in the air about the ITBs so for the time been I have purchased some larger bore intake tubing and will be making a better intake for it.

Next up is getting the exhaust back on and then I can take it for a MOT renewal, then I shall be putting my attention to the front engine bay and giving it the same refreshment treatment.

Dan

Chilli Girl

Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

Danny Scarbro

Not much of an update as I've been getting some bits on the Elise done.

Did however do a couple of bits, I've made a different intake set up with a larger diameter pipe and HKS filter(these sound so good!).

I've heard that the K20's like a shorter and larger pipe so maybe will be happier too.

Then I also got the rocker cocker refurbished in oem colours to go with the rest of the silver/red theme on the car.

Will be off at the weekend so want to get the rest of the ancillaries back on and it back on its wheels for use.

Dan

Hammond

Love this project, keep up the good work :)
05' silver

Topdownman

That looks too good to use!
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

JB21

Looking good Dan. Cant believe how far right the engine sits in the bay compared to my 2ZZ. You gonna get it corner weighted once complete?

Danny Scarbro

Quote from: JB21 on May 10, 2022, 07:38Looking good Dan. Cant believe how far right the engine sits in the bay compared to my 2ZZ. You gonna get it corner weighted once complete?

Sorry for the late reply! I sure will be yes, planning on trying to get rid of some weight too so will try and even it up abit. Its not too bad currently though.

Danny Scarbro

Time for a very long overdue update!!!

So the MR2 has taken abit of a backseat over the last 4/5 months. I got the Elise all finished and started tracking it and enjoying it....Then the engine spun a bearing at Cadwell so I turned my attention to building another engine up for it.

So what's happened with the MR2...in brief not alot!

I've got everything pretty much back together and have re-routed and changed all the coolant hoses to silicone/pipes which looks alot neater IMO.

So what's next? Lots to be fair!

Over winter I just want to try and enjoy the car as much as possible, get some seat time and used to the car.

With the plan to fit the ITBs I have I also want to work on making a larger more open area around the back of the engine and bulkhead, so going to cut the bulkhead open more and have a box fabricated with removable panels to help with air feed to the ITB's and hopefully make it a lot easier to work on.

I have also left myself with a spare K20 head from the Elise, So I am going to get this ported/polished/skimmed and build it back up with upgraded valve train and some more spicy cams. I'll then fit this at the same time as the ITBs and book it in for a new map and hopefully some more horses!

I was considering putting a K24 bottom end in however at the moment want to just stick with the K20 and the whole idea is to make it as enjoyable driving experience as possible. So the additional revs accompanied to the short box and ITB's should deliver a really special feel albeit maybe not as fast as the torquey K24.

When this is done I will be taking the car back to JP Cages to get the rear cage converted into a full one, then turning me attention to getting rid of some weight in the car to counteract this along with getting the dash flocked.

And finally I would like to treat the bodywork to abit of love and tidy the car up so I think I will paint the car, I have always liked white cars and quite like the link with Honda Type R cars been white with red compliments so think that's the way I will go but will see nearer the time.

So as you can see there is LOADS I have planned for the car but am really excited about it and cant wait to get see how it progresses.

Dan

puma2

:) there is some work to do keep going it be worth it in the end.
I love a Elise 8)

Danny Scarbro

*Holy thread revival batman*

Long story short I still own the MR2 but it has sat in the garage and just been tinkered with over the last 18months (how its been 19months I have no idea).

Had a year without much car action and more holidays and trips instead which was a nice change.

The Elise took front seat with the time I did have but I have now got that finished and sold to a great new owner...Hope I don't miss it too much. (Picture in its finished state).

So what's changed with the MR2, not loads.

I have stripped the interior to loose some weight, removed speakers, airbag etc then painted and cleaned the interior up.

The Corbeau seats have been replaced with my old Bride replica seats I've had in storage for decades which are abit tighter and offer some more support.

The custom made exhaust system has been sold and I've fitted a PPE header which has been modified to a 3" collector and system, Only has 1 box currently but I have a smaller box to add too to make it track day friendly.

The RBC inlet manifold has been removed and a Skunk2 Ultra Inlet added (still have the ITBs to fit at some point).

I've spent too much time messing about with a spare bonnet putting the Elise Scoop in it.

Also spent far too much time making brackets up and cleaning up a spoiler I purchased for the car (Collected it and it was an absolute mess and should have walked away but felt committed after traveling to pick it up.

Relocated the battery to behind the passenger seat so its further forward and lower down and fitted a uprated Expansion tank.

Purchased and fitted Konig Hypergram wheels with Accelera 651 Sport extra for road occasional track, and some Rota slipstreams with some Dunlop Direzza's for summer trackdays.

Sold the oem hardtop and purchased a Rogue motorsport lightweight one and fitted the Poly rear window. This still needs painting and going to get the underside flocked to make it look abit neater.

The car is now on its wheels, engine running (albeit hunting quite badly so imagine one of the sensors needs replacing) and ready to go for an MOT.

Its booked in to have the Exhaust modifications done back at GIZ motorsport in a few weeks and so they can have a general check over things too.

So that's where we are up to currently, what's the future look like?

LOTS of trackdays..Now its running I just want to enjoy it as it is then do little bits here and there but without taking it off the road.

Future fettling includes getting the access panel on the bulkhead enlarged with access from the front and top, really want to open it up as much as possible to make working on it easy and with the ITBs to fit so we can create some ducting etc.

Then have the ITB's to fit, along with some Skunk2 Ultra 1 cams, with uprated springs and retainers. Should hopefully see power to circa 260-270hp which will be exciting.

Then all attention will be onto getting the suspension set up right and losing some weight where possible. We have got hold of some corner weights which is handy so should be able to monitor the progress easily!

Will upload some more recent pictures of the bits done and current state when I get the chance and most importantly some track footage in the not so distant future.

Dan

puma2

:)  :)  long time back good to hear your still on it and work is now taking place  8)  8)

Danny Scarbro

Car is going to have an extra exhaust box and exit fitted this week along with MOT. Then will put a few road miles on to make sure all is well before booking a trackday.

Certainly excited for a drive, its been too long!

Few quick pictures of current state.

Dan

SuperArt

Mechanically one of the cleaner builds I've seen, nice job.
I don't like cut bumpers, so aesthetically only the back doesn't sit right with me until two big snails are on display.

Still surprised you went away from lotus ownership, shouldn't they rise in value faster than these cars thus making them worth maintaining? Especially compared to a modded roadster.
Or am I missing something.
Best regards,
Arthur
Essex - "Always happy to meet up for a weekend drive"
Making demented squirrel noises since 2014
TTE "Turbo Dodo" - https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?msg=797148
TTE Turbo "Friday" - https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=73711.0

JB21

Hopefully see you out on track this year 👌

KRAMSNEHPETS

Quote from: Danny Scarbro on February 22, 2022, 21:38Over the next few weeks we got the driveshafts swapped over and I also received a new gear shifter set up I had ordered.

It's a work of art and feels really nice albeit I do need to spend some time fiddling with the set up to get it right.

We were then booked onto Blyton for a trackday between Christmas and new year, we always book on these as it's pretty much guaranteed to be cold wet slippy and lots of fun with Blyton been perfect to get some car control practice in!

Needless to say the weather didn't disappoint and neither did the car, was great fun all day and the Marshall's were really good and allowed for some sideways action.

And a good mid corner moment captured from behind;

And of course the obligatory moment when ambition out weighed capabilities....

What did I say earlier about them not been too bad on the limit 😂

Dan

Think thats me in photo behind you, Silver 2 with red roof, 29th dec!
2004 Red edition. 2ZZ engine with Rotrex 30 94 supercharger,90mm pulley. Link Storm ECU. Charge cooler. Custom Meggalian exhaust.Uprated fuel pump, regulator and rail.840 injectors.323 BHP at the hubs. Meistier coil overs. Matt under body brace. Front and rear, upper and lower braces,list goes on...

Danny Scarbro

Quote from: SuperArt on February 11, 2024, 11:32Mechanically one of the cleaner builds I've seen, nice job.
I don't like cut bumpers, so aesthetically only the back doesn't sit right with me until two big snails are on display.

Still surprised you went away from lotus ownership, shouldn't they rise in value faster than these cars thus making them worth maintaining? Especially compared to a modded roadster.
Or am I missing something.

Thanks for the kind words! I'm in two minds on the rear bumper, will probably get a second, fit back to back and see which I prefer.

I do have a fear the that the Elise's will do exactly that and rocket up in price however I just cant justify having a £20-£25k track car when I can have one at £10-£15 that will provide just as much enjoyment and be alot easier to maintain. Bolt on panels compared to a clam if and when there's any offs been a big consideration.

Dan

Danny Scarbro

Quote from: KRAMSNEHPETS on February 11, 2024, 19:29Think thats me in photo behind you, Silver 2 with red roof, 29th dec!

That's the one, that was such a great day out. Love a wet cold slippery Blyton over winter.

Dan

Danny Scarbro

Car is back now with additional exhaust box and few other bits done. Seems to be lots of trouble with noise limits at track days this year so hopefully shouldn't have any problems.

New exhaust set-up;

Also got the shifter plumbed in and working;

A new expansion tank;

I have also used the spare garage as a parts collection storage unit...

So what do we have ready to fit;

-Mishimoto Aluminium radiator
-Rota Slipstreams with Dunlop Direzza's
-Spare set of panels and bumpers

Plan with the spare panels is to wrap them in Gloss white, I've always really liked White cars so was the natural progression. I've never tried wrapping a car or anything. Heard its very tough, annoying and time consuming so with having the panels spare and off I can just take my time and do it as a little side project!

Last but not least said I would put a final picture of the Elise but forgot, so here is what the MR2 has replaced, needless to say it has big but really light shoes to fill!

Next up is finally a trackday!

Then some opening up on the bulkhead ITB's and cams :)

Dan

Tags: