TRD quick shift set

Started by J88TEO, March 29, 2022, 15:46

J88TEO

for sale over at Spyderchat.com
USD700.00 for purists!

Carolyn

Looks like my TRD shifter has increased in value.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Nvy

Wow I do have one under the bed too. Cant believe the prices lately..

TheTigerUK

I now realize I don't need one !! :)
Say it with love, say it with flowers but never, never, say it in writing.

The idea is to die young as late as possible :)

Joesson

Quote from: TheTigerUK on March 29, 2022, 22:47I now realize I don't need one !! :)

John, did you ever "need" any of your many watches?

TheTigerUK

Quote from: Joesson on March 29, 2022, 23:09John, did you ever "need" any of your many watches?

Perhaps 1% :)

Petrus

On the SMT the ´quick shift mod´ is free. Just a tricky hassle. 
When I had the engine out could have done it hassle free but could not find the how to thread on spyderchat  :-*
Did not feel lucky enough to have a go without reference  :'(

The TRD option, well, that has gone collectors value. There is no discussing that because this has no connection whatsoever with function/practical use; it has disconnected from the product itself. Best illustrated by an in all aspects perfect replica being a ´fake´. Again like watches. The value lies in the perception of brand value. It is what the beholder thinks it is.

SV-3

'03 Mk3 Chilli Red (Avon ZV7's: 26F/32R)
Sony WX-920BT
"Hardtop Cognoscenti"
"Stock Cubed"
"AirCon Aficionado"
"Keeper of the Beeper"
Ex '88 Mk1b White (Yokohama A539's: 26F/28R)
"Here we all are, rumours and old toffee abound." John Martyn

fawtytoo

@Petrus I found the thread with photos:
Quick Shift Mod
Whether you cut the tab off or use a spacer, this is the warning given:
QuoteThe tab is attached to the APS and provides a partial mechanical linkage to the throttle in the event the "drive by wire" fails so that you can limp home. This is why I cautioned against using the spacer or cutting of the tab in case you need to get out of traffic; it's not going to move!
"My name is not important" - Slartibartfast

Petrus

Quote from: fawtytoo on March 30, 2022, 13:18@Petrus I found the thread with photos:
Quick Shift Mod
Whether you cut the tab off or use a spacer, this is the warning given:

WOW!!
Much obliged.
I knéw there was a caution, just did not remember as at the time I was not contemplating the mod.
Good thing I did not.
Thanks! Is is after all a road car navigating traffic.

Dev

If I had the TRD shifter I would sell it. It never felt like a short shifter.
 There was a person on this from that showed how to modify a stock shifter relatively easily to make it like the TRD. Problem solved.

Joesson

Quote from: Dev on March 30, 2022, 16:37If I had the TRD shifter I would sell it. It never felt like a short shifter.
 There was a person on this from that showed how to modify a stock shifter relatively easily to make it like the TRD. Problem solved.

@shnazzle found this @jaworjawor thread again recently the short shifter mod is at post #189

https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?msg=660457

Petrus

A 700 USD earning hammer wháck  ;D 
Lóve it!!
Often a hammer whack cósts money   ;)

Dev

Quote from: Petrus on March 30, 2022, 17:44A 700 USD earning hammer wháck  ;D 
Lóve it!!
Often a hammer whack cósts money   ;)

That hammer whack is going to cost someone else $600 once they find out. Its all relative but better than getting slapped by an emotional cuckold at the Academy.

I would however pay a premium for an original NAVPOD just so the dash matches exactly or for the original TRD polyurethane stage 1 kit. Those you cant wack into existence.

Topdownman

I am looking forward to what ropey racing come up with their short shifter which is currently being worked on.
Here is one of their teaser photos.

"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Gibla

Quote from: Dev on March 30, 2022, 18:15That hammer whack is going to cost someone else $600 once they find out. Its all relative but better than getting slapped by an emotional cuckold at the Academy.

I would however pay a premium for an original NAVPOD just so the dash matches exactly or for the original TRD polyurethane stage 1 kit. Those you cant wack into existence.

If the NAVPOD is the Toyota Nav device, I happen to have one fitted into my MY. 2004 black '2' in the locker behind the drivers seat(UK of course!) , I have no use for it as such. Pm me if you want to carry on this dialogue 

stock 2001 Dark Green MR-S (6R4)
stock 2004 Black - repurchased from guy who bought yellow 'un

Dev

Appreciate the offer. I already have the NAVPOD housing  that I purchased from a member in 2010 for $50 new. At the time myself and the seller didn't think they would ever be worth that much. I have now seen them go as high as $400 a few years ago and the item sold very quickly. Its invaluable until you can get one made that is an exact replica.  As far as the NAV system I do not know anyone that would be interested as its outdated but I can see a collector wanting it.

Joesson

Quote from: Topdownman on March 30, 2022, 18:42I am looking forward to what ropey racing come up with their short shifter which is currently being worked on.
Here is one of their teaser photos.

I wonder what it is that ropey racing know about our, at least 16 years old,  2's and the owners that we don't know?
Our cars are not the most common and the prototype has the look of something that some thought/ investment has gone into to make an aesthetically pleasing device.

Topdownman

It will all come down to the price. (Assuming it works well!).

If it is not stupid money I can imagine a lot of interest. Stupid money of course is relative to the kind of money 2 owners are used to spending....
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

J88TEO

https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?msg=660457
That's how I did mine, except I bent the shifter about an inch towards me as I have short hands!

TheTigerUK

I still can't get my head round how a little bend makes it a short shift, in my mind bend or not it is still moving as much ?

J88TEO

It's not the bend but the length after the ball...by entending that by say 1cm, the actual travel when shifting, becomes longer and thereby shorter on the upper side. Make sense?
I only bent the bend a bit ) about an inch towards me.

Petrus

Quote from: J88TEO on March 31, 2022, 12:32It's not the bend but the length after the ball...by entending that by say 1cm, the actual travel when shifting, becomes longer and thereby shorter on the upper side. Make sense?
I only bent the bend a bit ) about an inch towards me.

It is about leverage. The ball is the fulcrum and the lower bit is the side moving the ´load´, moving the cables, shifting the gearbor mechanism. Moving the ball up equals a longer lever at bottom, giving it more movement for less movement of the hand.
The obvious price is a shorter stick. Bending the stick towards the driver compensates for the longer distance only. Does nothing to the lever ratio.
Extending the stick makes for lónger shift distance; your hand needing to travel fúrther for the same change in angle.

J88TEO

Well that's exactly what I did...move the position of the fulcrum up by 1cm.

Dev

An element that is overlooked is compliance. With the OEM shifter the length is designed around the amount of force that is used. When you shorten the length you need to increase the force, some like it and others don't.
With an increase in force at once the shifter cage undergoes more flex and compliance where you can feel more of the mushiness. This can be solved with aluminum base bushings and solid brass bushings on the shifter end. One of the best things about a gated shifter is less compliance and a direct feel of the shifter.

I am now interested in the ropey racing shifter since it will be ridged because of the metal housing instead of plastic. I am also sure the bushings or bearings in the design of the shifter will have a lot less slop in it making it feel like a bolt action riffle. It will not make the car faster but it is what people appreciate with driving cars that have gated shifters or those where the transmission is directly below the shifter. 

Tags: