TRD quick shift set

Started by J88TEO, March 29, 2022, 15:46

Petrus

Quote from: Dev on March 31, 2022, 17:52An element that is overlooked is compliance. With the OEM shifter the length is designed around the amount of force that is used. When you shorten the length you need to increase the force, some like it and others don't.
With an increase in force at once the shifter cage undergoes more flex and compliance where you can feel more of the mushiness. This can be solved with aluminum base bushings and solid brass bushings on the shifter end. One of the best things about a gated shifter is less compliance and a direct feel of the shifter.

Yes, the force rátio changes but the force on the fulcrum/bearings et al does not.
The crux is taht force needed to shift the gears is the same. By shortening the lever arm at the hand side the fórce is incremented in the same measure but the rotational moment is the sáme.
In other words: you only need to push/pull a bit more deliberately because you have a shorter lever. That´s all. No beefing up needed. Well, biceps perhaps  ;D

Dev

Quote from: Petrus on March 31, 2022, 18:20Yes, the force rátio changes but the force on the fulcrum/bearings et al does not.
The crux is taht force needed to shift the gears is the same. By shortening the lever arm at the hand side the fórce is incremented in the same measure but the rotational moment is the sáme.
In other words: you only need to push/pull a bit more deliberately because you have a shorter lever. That´s all. No beefing up needed. Well, biceps perhaps  ;D

Ofcourse however the slop and compliance is magnified and felt with the shorter lever and throw with more effort to move. Although on the other end the effort is the same it is the flex of plastic housing as you push on the lever that is the source of compliance where the shifter wasn't designed for. Anything to strengthen it could yield good results for a short shifter as far as feel.

I was looking up details of the Ropey Racing Shifter and it would appear that its going to be one of those high shifters they use for racing with only a 25% reduction in throw.
 Not what I am looking for. I feel the my B&M shifter copy has a much shorter throw than 25%. I would be interested in an aluminum shifter cage that is a replica of the plastic with a solid mount to the floor.

https://www.ropeyracing.com/the-shifter

Petrus

Quote from: Dev on March 31, 2022, 18:34I would be interested in an aluminum shifter cage that is a replica of the plastic with a solid mount to the floor.

There used to be Spanish bloke in Cataluña or the Baleares who made exquisite cages incl. for the ZZW30. Forgot his name/detail but I am sure sómeone here will remember. Exquisite price too  ::)

Dev

Quote from: Petrus on March 31, 2022, 18:43There used to be Spanish bloke in Cataluña or the Baleares who made exquisite cages incl. for the ZZW30. Forgot his name/detail but I am sure sómeone here will remember. Exquisite price too  ::)

That is one of the problems with rice and posers. Some people want the look and don't really care about the functionality. I just want something that will not be seen under the plastic.
The most puzzling things I have seen are those aluminum anodized tow hooks that are not functional.

Petrus

Quote from: Dev on March 31, 2022, 18:52That is one of the problems with rice and posers. Some people want the look and don't really care about the functionality. I just want something that will not be seen under the plastic.

You don´t háve to put the none too nice plastic centre console over.
I would happily delete the prone-to-cracking-from-the-handbrake-opening-thing.

Dev

Quote from: Petrus on March 31, 2022, 18:57You don´t háve to put the none too nice plastic centre console over.
I would happily delete the prone-to-cracking-from-the-handbrake-opening-thing.

I never seen one cracked and if mine did I would locate another one and reinforce it. I particularly don't like the stripped out car look for a road car because it looks shabby like I can afford to fix it. I have modified my interior but its only in a way that makes it look higher quality but realistic like it came that way from the factory.There are some cost cutting measures for the interior to keep the price down but it doesn't have to be that way with a little help with higher quality replacement additions to keep it contemporary.

Petrus

Quote from: Dev on March 31, 2022, 19:13I never seen one cracked and if mine did I would locate another one and reinforce it.

Mine cracked and I did same.

I lóve the stripped look  O:-)

Joesson

Quote from: Petrus on March 31, 2022, 19:23Mine cracked and I did same.

I lóve the stripped look  O:-)

Malaga likely has more sunshine/ UV light than Washington DC.

Dev

I have seen some rough ones where the paint was faded and chipped form constant sun exposure and the interior plastics has chalked up to where it looks terrible but no cracks. Toyota makes very durable interiors even if they look utilitarian but the same cant be said with other makes where the entire dash cracks in half. I am sure there are examples of these interiors with cracks but for the most part they have held up well except for the plastic tabs that tend to go brittle and break off. If there was a known issue I would still replace the part.

TheTigerUK

Quote from: SV-3 on March 30, 2022, 13:151% of Time?

1% total, at one time I had 300+ watches but really three is enough, a dress watch, a sports watch and a beater.
Say it with love, say it with flowers but never, never, say it in writing.

The idea is to die young as late as possible :)

J88TEO

Quote from: Dev on March 31, 2022, 18:34I would be interested in an aluminum shifter cage that is a replica of the plastic with a solid mount to the floor.
Me too, if some one can make a batch.

Tags: