Part Respray

Started by normanh, May 16, 2022, 14:40

normanh

Just had my bonnet re-sprayed on Friday - a good mobile sprayer at what I thought was a very fair price considering the level of work put in. The Colour is Chilli red although its 3PO its not chilli red. A fair colour match but chatting to the sprayer there's 2 shades a pink and orange versions, he had plumped for the orange version which is a fair match to the O/S wing and front bumper which were done back in 2014. My bonnet suffered badly from stone chips yet the bumper has very few, my sprayer said that there's a simple explanation for that - the lacquer is too thin giving little protection.

Now since Saturday afternoon and lunchtime today some f**king b**tard has keyed my back bumper down to plastic f**king S**t brain dickheads. This has messed up my restoration plans as the engine lid was planned next.

J88TEO

Very annoying and frustrating!

fawtytoo

People who damage other peoples property in that mindless fashion are simply Neanderthals. Morons who are jealous of what other people own.

But if I might ask about your respray, how much did it cost? I want my bonnet resprayed too.
"My name is not important" - Slartibartfast

J88TEO

Mate of mine needs the front bumper done too so would be interesting to know the cost.

normanh

I paid £290 for the bonnet and honestly it was worth every penny of it, the guy was really good, not sure what the going rate is tbh I never looked around. I just saw the quality of his work on a neighbours car that cinched it for me. He started at 9-30 am and didnt finish till about 19-00. This guy has all the gear for panel beating as well. Remember I am South Essex based.

Having the bumper vandalised has buggered up my plans now and this is more urgent.

Norman

Chilli Girl

So sorry @normanh to read about the vandalism to your car. Complete t@ssers. Grrrh! ::)
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

normanh

Managed to recover from this disaster with the exception of the initial strike point that went into the plastic as I didnt want to use filler. Touched it the narrow gauge and will rub it flat taking care not to cut into the original paintwork. Most of the shallow cut didnt penetrate through the lacquer and polished out with T Cut and 2500 wet n dry in soapy water, with the exception of about 30 mm which I have blown in with my modelling air brush. Hopefully in the resprays I can get back on course with the engine lid.

Still very bitter about these b**tards knowing what I would do to them!

Norman

Ardent

complete and utter twunts.

As frustrating as it is, need to direct that frustrated energy into to something positive, whatever that may be. You seem to have made a good start.

Topdownman

Quote from: normanh on May 17, 2022, 18:17Managed to recover from this disaster with the exception of the initial strike point that went into the plastic as I didnt want to use filler. Touched it the narrow gauge and will rub it flat taking care not to cut into the original paintwork. Most of the shallow cut didnt penetrate through the lacquer and polished out with T Cut and 2500 wet n dry in soapy water, with the exception of about 30 mm which I have blown in with my modelling air brush. Hopefully in the resprays I can get back on course with the engine lid.

Still very bitter about these b**tards knowing what I would do to them!

Norman

Good to hear this. If you dont want to use filler, have you thought about plastic welding it? I use a soldering iron and the saved bits cut off cable ties to repair cracks and fill holes. Then just rub it down once cooled.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Topdownman

Quote from: Ardent on May 17, 2022, 22:01complete and utter twunts.

As frustrating as it is, need to direct that frustrated energy into to something positive, whatever that may be. You seem to have made a good start.

Word of the day!
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

fawtytoo

A work colleague of mine, who used to work in body shops, said my poor red paint looks like someone resprayed it too thinly, and the weather and washing is wearing it off.
It might explain why, when I bought the car 3 years ago, the bonnet looked alright.
"My name is not important" - Slartibartfast

Joesson

Quote from: Topdownman on May 18, 2022, 11:11Good to hear this. If you dont want to use filler, have you thought about plastic welding it? I use a soldering iron and the saved bits cut off cable ties to repair cracks and fill holes. Then just rub it down once cooled.

While I have heard of plastic welding I did not realise this could be done in such DIY fashion. Now I know about this I shall be looking for things to repair. Probably need some trial runs though on something of little/ no value to get the method.

normanh

The paint - red on the bumper is micro thin compared other parts of the car as I went through it again today with no effort. I leaving at that now theres a mark where I touched it in manually but I cant afford any more rubbing down. The surprising thing is there appears to be a good lacquer coating but little base coat.

Venting out my energy positively well that could be finding the perp in the act on another car lol! But that's not allowed as its in breach of the little scrots human rights!

Norman

Tags: