Horrific 2zz Black MR-S bodge work "track car"

Started by Anon, May 30, 2022, 15:05

JB21

Quote from: Anon on February 21, 2023, 16:33

🤣🤣🤣

To busy thinking of the fine details, then leave something big out. I do it all the time

Gaz2405

Quote from: Anon on February 21, 2023, 16:33

Reminds me of forgetting to put the loom extension on the the crank position sensor.....🤦
1zz turbo. Home built and home mapped.

Now 2zz turbo. Home built and home mapped

Build thread https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=67004.0

JB21

Quote from: Anon on February 21, 2023, 23:11I am having a pretty bad day.

Mess is now contained, all cleaned up into sealed safe containers, clothes in the wash, Anon in the shower.

At this moment in time thinking I picked the wrong hobby.

What an absolute nightmare  :o

puma2

>:( fair play you are doing a lot of work on your 2 with some great pictures and write ups.
as you no its a frustrating time the old car spanners and problems happen. you dealt with this in a positive way and got some petrol left to start it up again.

keep going and iam sure when back up on the track it will all be worth that big smile only a 2 can give you :)  :)

AJRFulton

Quote from: Anon on February 25, 2023, 18:35The big push happened, bit the other night, then got up and did 8am till 2pm today. New gearbox is in and working ace. Did a little 10 mile road test, no crunches, grinds, bangs, and it didn't shatt itself halfway across the village  ;D Clutch feels lovely, really glad I ditched the uprated pressure plate as it makes the pedal loads easier to press. Clutch line has been totally flushed out with fresh good quality fluid.

Having knocked the bearings out to do the diff swap, I had to replace both of the drive shaft rotary lip seals.

I found a really nice used fuel tank locally, and did the internal fuel filter at the same time. Tank had a full washout so we are running on clean tank with out the typical crud in the bottom.

The fuel filter also houses the fuel pressure control valve... basically the pump pushes fuel into the filter element, then there are 2 filtered outlets. One goes to the engine feed, and the other to the pressure regulator.

This car is only 55k miles or something, but the filter was filthy. The fuel that came out the filter was black and had loads of water suspended in it. I suspect the filter housing catches the water as its velocity is slow though the filter element. Maybe, I'm only guessing, the water and dirty might interact with the pressure valve as it sloshes about under the mega hard cornering on the track? Just a thought that popped into my noggin to explain @AJRFulton found he got less fuel cut after doing his.

Yeah bud.

I found it largely eliminated my track day fuel starvation problem when changed. As said on the other thread - it was accidental discovery, if COVID hadn't happened I wouldn't have changed the filter.

I dare say it will still happen at low levels, but it was happening at 1/4 tank left!

I also cut the original fuel filter open on change and found similar to you.

AJRFulton

Quote from: Anon on March  8, 2023, 10:59I've been driving Project Horrific about to do errands to get a few miles on it for some shake down to hope prevent another 10am track day shats itself again adventure.

Well, I don't know why or what or who but this thing has found quite a bit more umph. I'd bet it's a solid 5% up on power. Goes like a rocket! And it seems to have a fair bit less transmission/road noise.

Is it the new fuel filter? Is it less drag in the gearbox? Or the fuel tank wash out?

Maybe 6 of one and half a dozen of the other

I'm curious if the fuel filter reduces the fuel starvation issue on your car too.

When do you next have a track day planned?

Alex Knight

I've got an Open Pit Lane day at Blyton park on bank holiday 1st May for £159 which I thought was decent.

AJRFulton

Quote from: Alex Knight on March  8, 2023, 15:25I've got an Open Pit Lane day at Blyton park on bank holiday 1st May for £159 which I thought was decent.

Fair bit down the country for you.

I am jealous of the guys down South how many options they have available for track days. After Knockhill the next closest are Croft (400 mile round trip) and Oulton Park (500 mile round trip). 

Alex Knight

Quote from: AJRFulton on March  9, 2023, 09:48Fair bit down the country for you.

I am jealous of the guys down South how many options they have available for track days. After Knockhill the next closest are Croft (400 mile round trip) and Oulton Park (500 mile round trip).

Yep, I've done most circuits in the UK, but Blyton remains on the to do list. It's a long way, but I love trackdays, and that's one of the compromises I accepted when moving from Bristol to Scotland.

I've managed to find a travel lodge 5 miles away for £23 per night.

AJRFulton

Quote from: Alex Knight on March  9, 2023, 11:46Yep, I've done most circuits in the UK, but Blyton remains on the to do list. It's a long way, but I love trackdays, and that's one of the compromises I accepted when moving from Bristol to Scotland.

I've managed to find a travel lodge 5 miles away for £23 per night.

I would love to do more track days further South but 2 trips to Croft and 1 trip to Anglesey has seen a combined total of about 30 minutes running (Didn't even get to Anglesey thanks to VOSA in full on pedantic mode).

Even Knockhill is a 150 mile round trip for me. However, big difference taking 1.75hrs to tow the trailer there to taking 5-6hrs.

Carolyn

We do try to encourage saving as many cars as possible, BUT.

We also acknowledge that many are beyond help! 

I know I couldn't keep mine in good shape without using breaker parts.

The club has always had an 'affiliated breaker', J-Spec (Andrew Henderson) being our current one.

If a member wishes to advertise parts from a car they are breaking, all they have to do is ask. 
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Anon on March 13, 2023, 09:18Been ordering some little bits to replace any second hand gearbox linkage parts. This is a symptom of messing with old obsolete cars, had a message that another part I've ordered has come back as:-

Toyota 33520-17010 - SHAFT ASSY, FLOOR SHIFT CONTROL
Reason: Production stopped

I've been into messing with older cars, discontinued parts isn't really that helpful. Breaking cars becomes essential to keep the survivors alive.

The attitude round here so against breaking is quite bizarre, if people cannot privately break cars then they will predominantly weighed in for scrap because the big commercial breakers will not have the profit margins they require compared to late model cars.

Private back yard breakers really do provide an essential service to keep the survivors on the road, and are often ran by enthusiasts.
The stigma against breaking has relaxed quite a bit in recent years, the issue was created some years ago when cars were being culled at a rate of knots for fairly minor issues just to cash in on the parts value, with little regard to the long term survival rate of the type.
I would imagine probably 95% or more of the regular contributors and users of this forum have bought recovered parts from the recommended breakers, myself definitely included and will continue to do so as long as it's feasible.
I don't think a lot of the "backyard breakers" that pop up regularly on the social media groups understand what's actually involved in stripping a car for parts and making money out of it.
The amount of space a roadster takes up when you start to dismantle it is greatly disproportionate to the sum of its parts ...
60% of the time it works everytime...

Carolyn

The club can have more than one, but it does need to be someone observing the law, or we could be held liable.

We have had more than one in the past.

Dean at Rutland MR2 used to be on our list, but he gave up the business as cars started getting harder to find and he found it was becoming unprofitable.

Carolyn

Anon :

The club can always change.  We on the committee took over a few years ago in order to keep it alive.

Perhaps it's time for others to step forward and make it into what they'd like to see.

I can tell you from experience, it's getting harder and harder to find active participants.

People say they want events, then not enough folk sign up.  I've organised quite few over the years (even before I was a committee member) and it's just become a thankless task.

We can always hold an election for a new committee and see where that takes the club.

Tags: