Retrofitting oil squirters?

Started by Nvy, June 25, 2022, 12:39

Nvy

Anybody tried the above? @Carolyn maybe? Saw it done on couple of other engines so why not 1zz too :) have no idea where the oil galleries are..

Before anybody mentions 2zz I cant make it road legal here. If I keep the car ill build the engine myself and this mod will be worthwhile.

Carolyn

Quote from: Nvy on June 25, 2022, 12:39Anybody tried the above? @Carolyn maybe? Saw it done on couple of other engines so why not 1zz too :) have no idea where the oil galleries are..

Before anybody mentions 2zz I cant make it road legal here. If I keep the car ill build the engine myself and this mod will be worthwhile.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'oil squirters'.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Nvy

Quote from: Carolyn on June 25, 2022, 12:48I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'oil squirters'.

The oil jets that spray oil at the bottom of the pistons to cooldown them down

Nvy

Seems like it can be done but have to find useless block so that I can drill it to find the galleries. Seen some schematics and it seems that the block can be drilled. Will have to increase the oil pressure but the pump can be shimmed.

McMr2

Quote from: Nvy on June 25, 2022, 13:08The oil jets that spray oil at the bottom of the pistons to cooldown them down

Is it necessary on a 1zz? Seems like a lot of work unless there is a known issue or performance gain to be had.

I think the engine in the first suzuki swift sport (~2006) had something like this, perhaps for homologation reasons.
2004 Silver. Stock(ish).

shnazzle

I'd sooner look at a dry sump system. By the time you had the block machined, drilled, squirters fitted, etc etc. Might as well do dry sump.

Needless to say, stupid money either way for a 1zz
...neutiquam erro.

Nvy

Dry sumps are crazy expensive tbh, never saw one under 3k. Ill go with oil accumulator and wanted to retrofit jets to aid cooling.

jonbill

The rods have squirt holes built in You cannot view this attachment.

Nvy

Quote from: jonbill on July 23, 2022, 19:31The rods have squirt holes built in You cannot view this attachment.

No idea how this works tbh, ill read on it

shnazzle

Quote from: Nvy on July 23, 2022, 20:25No idea how this works tbh, ill read on it
https://youtu.be/IMkxjd-YZAI

One of the better clips out there
...neutiquam erro.

Nvy

Just happened to find my forged rods, they do not have this hole. I read that it happens with lots of rods, do you think I should drill them? :D

stupink

I've installed squirters on an engine before, not toyota, as above the toyota rods have them, but if you go steel rods they often dont. I wouldnt think a small hole would be a problem but not sure i'd like to try it,
on my old engine i drilled the hole in the block through where the mains bearing sits, and then a matching hole in the bearing. i fitted actual pressure regulating squirters not just a hole, that way oil pressure can build as normal.
2001 1ZZ turbo. 293hp home build all the way

Nvy

Quote from: stupink on October 25, 2022, 17:59I've installed squirters on an engine before, not toyota, as above the toyota rods have them, but if you go steel rods they often dont. I wouldnt think a small hole would be a problem but not sure i'd like to try it,
on my old engine i drilled the hole in the block through where the mains bearing sits, and then a matching hole in the bearing. i fitted actual pressure regulating squirters not just a hole, that way oil pressure can build as normal.

My forged rods do not have holes and in intend to fit crank scraper. Id also retrofit some squirters from a 2zz for example. Just want some proper cooling for the pistons

Tags: