Front wishbone strip down

Started by Joesson, October 3, 2022, 19:35

Joesson

There are two bushes, one horizontally orientated, the front bush, the smaller diameter, and one vertically orientated, the rear bush the larger diameter. Also a ball joint. To proceed with renovation of the arms these items need to be removed.
I managed this with some basic tools and a length of studding, nuts and washers.
First to remove was the horizontal bush, this I removed with the studding, nuts and washers and a suitable socket sized to fit over the flanged end of the bush. The socket was not deep enough to accept the length of the bush and so I cut the bush with a disc cutter when part way out.

For the larger, vertical bush sockets were not available. I have seen that these have been drilled through the rubber and then the housing sawn through.
Instead I pulled the centre of the bush out as shown:

picture hosting

The exposed rubber was cut with a Stanley knife which was sufficient for the first arm but the second arm I also drilled the rubber

The centre of the bush comes out leaving just a small amount of rubber on the housing.

The housing was then squashed in the vice in two directions to break the contact with the arm.

The flats were then clamped in the vice and the arm pulled back and forth a couple of times and the arm came away from the bush.

Next was the ball joint, as mentioned in my previous post  I cut off the taper fixing to assist pressing out.  There is also a 1mm or so diameter round retaining wire that prevents the ball joint leaving the arm so that was removed also.
I now needed a socket sufficient to accommodate the ball joint. The squared off horizontal bush housing is a perfect fit. Using that as a socket I simply put the lot in the vice and pushed the ball joint out.

Tags: