Watching the ( zinc) paint dry on the wishbones

Started by Joesson, October 3, 2022, 20:18

Joesson

After a wire brushing with my new/ish Makita grinder that removed the rust/ paint and a wipe down with some solvent(a shortage of thinners so used brake cleaner) I gave the arms a couple of coats of zinc spray paint.

MrChris

Topdownman

I would also pop them in a hot (but switched off) oven to cure the paint before you try to get the bushes in.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Joesson

While watching the paint drying I've been considering how best to put things back together.
I notice that the vertical bolt, for the large bush, seems to gave a captive washer, similarly for the horizontal bolt for the smaller bush.
I wondered if this is intentionally captive or otherwise as the washer, for the horizontal bolt is offered as a separate item by a supplier, to go with the nut at the nut end of the assembly. But I am  very sure that was not how it was originally fitted, the washer is under the bolt head in each case.

I ask because after a good looking at and wire brushing one vertical and one horizontal bolt have lost their plating and are quite pitted.
Such items are seldom mentioned in these reports, maybe because sometimes they are cut off and so replacement is obviously necessary.

Any comment appreciated.

Beachbum957

Just get new OEM bolts (90119-12333). They are not that expensive and come with a captive washer under the head of the bolt. Corrosion is very common, and it is a good idea to just replace the rear bolts any time the arm is off if they show any pitting or corrosion.

A trick from the marine industry to prevent thread corrosion is to coat the threads with a non-hardening gasket sealer like some Permatex.  It won't effect the tightening torque much and will keep any moisture out of the threads.  Being non-hardening, the bolt will still come out normally if it needs to be removed later.

J88TEO

I got a pair from a 6km MR-S from Japan...

Joesson

That's a good find if the price was right.
I wonder what happened to the rest of the car?

Ardent

Quote from: J88TEO on October 14, 2022, 15:32I got a pair from a 6km MR-S from Japan...

Excellent find.
May I ask where, and same as handbrake cables no surprises via UK customs duty?

J88TEO

Quote from: Joesson on October 14, 2022, 16:36That's a good find if the price was right.
The pair for the price of replacement ones on fleabay. Postage was just under £30.00 ( no custom duties ).
No idea what happened to the car. The engine is listed at under £1k - looks pristine!

J88TEO

Quote from: Ardent on October 14, 2022, 19:44May I ask where, and same as handbrake cables no surprises via UK customs duty?
Japan Yahoo auction site.
No duties....

J88TEO

Joesson

Quote from: J88TEO on October 14, 2022, 22:01@Joesson
Apologies for hijacking your post.

Such distractions are welcome when watching paint dry.

Joesson

I shall tack this onto the end of this paint drying thread, today saw a couple of coats of satin black atop the well dried silver/ zinc primer coat.
As @Topdownman suggested curing the paint, although I could not identify any illness, I have taken his suggestion one step further and have placed the now colour coated items in Mrs J's green house where the Autumn sun can reach elevated temperatures at no cost or usage directly, or indirectly, of fossil fuel.

Tags: