Do you find it strange that the 2 dosent..................

Started by TheTigerUK, November 28, 2022, 17:10

TheTigerUK

have a light on the dash to show the side/head lights are on ?
Say it with love, say it with flowers but never, never, say it in writing.

The idea is to die young as late as possible :)

Chilli Girl

You know, I never noticed on any of my last 3 2's and I consider myself observant @TheTigerUK  :o
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

Carolyn

Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Chilli Girl

Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

paulj

The head and side lamp indicators came in when cars started to have instrument panels illuminated at all times.  Before then, as others have said, the illumination was the indication.  I remember the early days of permanent lit instruments and driving around in the dark with lights off....
Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

TheTigerUK

I still would have thought that on a car of this price (£18K+ back in the day) Toyota would have gone the very little extra and included side/head light indicators on the dash, we have high beam and fog so................lazy  :)

Joesson

You really would have something to complain about if you had bought my '56 Beetle, no fuel level gauge!

TheTigerUK

Quote from: Joesson on November 29, 2022, 14:20You really would have something to complain about if you had bought my '56 Beetle, no fuel level gauge!

I had a 54 Beetle that an army officer brought back with him from Germany, I don't think it had a heater but it did have an extension under the front bonnet which allowed you to listen to the radio down the river bank while fishing.

I sold it the early 70s for £30, what would that be worth now ?

Joesson

Quote from: TheTigerUK on November 29, 2022, 14:46I had a 54 Beetle that an army officer brought back with him from Germany, I don't think it had a heater but it did have an extension under the front bonnet which allowed you to listen to the radio down the river bank while fishing.

I sold it the early 70s for £30, what would that be worth now ?

One for sale at around £30k, one sold at auction for £20k, but, like me, you don't really want to know that.

Petrus

Quote from: Joesson on November 29, 2022, 14:20You really would have something to complain about if you had bought my '56 Beetle, no fuel level gauge!
´

Did have a reserve handle.

Owned several cars like that and it was why I had that km-counter thing you adjusted by hand to keep track of distance covered stuck on the dash.

idiotgap

I love that in the two I can look down the bonnet and see if the lights are on!
Dave K
2001 PFL Cape Green

TheTigerUK

Quote from: idiotgap on November 30, 2022, 10:25I love that in the two I can look down the bonnet and see if the lights are on!

In the day time ?

idiotgap

Quote from: TheTigerUK on November 30, 2022, 14:04In the day time ?
Not sure about that, but I tend to use them mostly at night. I really enjoy the look down the bonnet at night and to be able to see the lights for some reason.

I do prefer having a dash display too to know exactly what's going on, it was missing on a 2004 e-class estate I had a while back too (MB added it ina facelift 2006 onwards).
Dave K
2001 PFL Cape Green

Alex Knight

The position of the stalk switch indicates whether or not the lights are on. It's very easy to look at from the drivers seat.

Dev

Quote from: paulj on November 28, 2022, 17:54The head and side lamp indicators came in when cars started to have instrument panels illuminated at all times.  Before then, as others have said, the illumination was the indication.  I remember the early days of permanent lit instruments and driving around in the dark with lights off....

My 2004 Honda was the first car that had that feature and I initially hated it because it felt like I had the lights always turned on. Also the headlight indicator was too small so it was difficult to know if they were off.
  Earlier cars although not as sophisticated as they are now are simple and you need to use some common sense but even back then they had some crazy tech in the 80s where the car would talk to you to tell you the door is ajar.

Tags: