2000 Spyder Chrome Headlight Bulb shield

Started by Ian Gray, May 30, 2023, 05:08

Ian Gray

Hi Guys,
I recently purchased 2 new "complete" headlights for my 2000 Spyder, from MR Ben UK.  The only issue is that the headlights didn't come with the chrome bulb shields that sit in front of the bulbs.  Does anyone know if I can remove the bulb shields from my old lights and squeeze them through the bulb assembly opening or should the bulb shields have come with my new lights. They seem to be the correct black surround lights for the 2000-2002 model as the screw hole for the bulb shield is there but no bulb shield.   Any advice would be appreciated.
Many thanks.
Ian Gray

Carolyn

My original MR-S headlights did not have the bulb shield.  It didn't seem to cause any problems. The car always passed MOT.

What the deal is in Australia, I can't say, of course.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Petrus

Quote from: Ian Gray on May 30, 2023, 05:08Hi Guys,
I recently purchased 2 new "complete" headlights for my 2000 Spyder, from MR Ben UK.  The only issue is that the headlights didn't come with the chrome bulb shields that sit in front of the bulbs.  Does anyone know if I can remove the bulb shields from my old lights and squeeze them through the bulb assembly opening or should the bulb shields have come with my new lights. They seem to be the correct black surround lights for the 2000-2002 model as the screw hole for the bulb shield is there but no bulb shield.   Any advice would be appreciated.
Many thanks.
Ian Gray

First time I read about this but yes it is correct. I had óne replaced and it came with the bulb shield but if not it would have needed to be because it is strikingly obvious otherwise.
Now you are changing both so this does not apply but it still seems logical to fit them as Toyota did so for a reason probably.
Why not just trý swap them over? If you can´t you are no worse off.

Petrus

Quote from: Carolyn on May 30, 2023, 08:18My original MR-S headlights did not have the bulb shield.  It didn't seem to cause any problems. The car always passed MOT.

What the deal is in Australia, I can't say, of course.

Can this be a LHD <-> RHD conversion? Would explain why you don´t have them nor an MoT issue.
If so, we have tripped over a way to use either.
Oz though is left side driving..... Hm.

Carolyn

Quote from: Petrus on May 30, 2023, 12:21Can this be a LHD <-> RHD conversion?
If so, we have tripped over a way to use either.

My car is a Japanese Domestic Market car. Japan, UK and Australia all drive on the left, so LHD/RHD should not be an issue. 
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Petrus

Quote from: Carolyn on May 30, 2023, 12:24My car is a Japanese Domestic Market car. Japan, UK and Australia all drive on the left, so LHD/RHD should not be an issue. 

Realised that while you wrote   :)) apparently not for LHR/RHD.
Still a bit of a thing as to why they are there.
They wíll likely make a difference in light beam intensity. Any light directly beamed out is not focused/intensified by the parabolic reflector. 

Joesson

@Ian Gray
My 2002/ PFL has "bulb shields", these shields seem to be fixed through the reflector via a stalk of similar material to the shield positioned below the headlamp bulb and between this bulb orifice and the side light bulb orifice.
If the shield can be removed from the OE light and there is a fixing hole in the new light then it could be that these are intended to be removed/ replaceable.
Unless there is clearly a fixing point / opening on the reflector of the new lights to accept this stalk then I would  think that using the bulb shields from your original lights would not be practical/ possible.

PS
From Mr2Ben web site :
1/
Front Light Unit Complete with lense.
Suitable for: Right hand drive Toyota MR-S MR2 mk3 1999-07/2002 (pre face lift)
New Genuine Toyota Part
Suitable for Right hand drive cars (Country's including UK & Japan)
Available Left, Right, or as a pair
* These are from the Japanese import MR2 and will fit all right hand drive Toyota MR2 MK3 1999-07/2002 (pre face lift)
* Note these are the type without the small internal cover in front of the headlamp bulb.

2/
** Left side now discontinued and limited stock of Right side **
** Replacement RHD Sets now available HERE https://mr2-ben.co.uk/products/1625 **

Front Light Unit Complete with lense.
Suitable for: Right hand drive Toyota MR-S MR2 mk3 1999-07/2002 (pre face lift)
New Genuine Toyota Part
Suitable for Right hand drive cars (Country's including UK & Japan)
These are the type with the cap in front of the bulb  as pictured.

The answer to your question is likely in those extracts.

PPS
The above is copied and pasted from MR2 Ben website.
Lense is a misspelling of the  word lens, referring to a singular item. When referring to multiple lenses the letter e is used twice.

Ian Gray

These is a fixing point in the new  headlights for the chrome "bulb shield" the shield appears to be able to fold in a bit like an umbrella so I may be able to insert the old ones however they will be difficult to remove through the globe assembly hole on my old lights, maybe I need to wreck the old lights to get them out.   When I purchased the pair of these new lights there was no such mention of the "Bulb Shields" being missing, the lights were clearly described as "complete" for the 2000-2002 Series 1 MR2 Spyder.  After 3 emails seeking clarification from MR2 Ben, no reply !!! The attachment screw hole for the"Bulb Shields" is clearly there in the new headlights so they are simply NOT Complete without the"Bulb Shields" as detailed by MR2 BEN.

Ian Gray

This is how I purchased these lights as a pair Mr2 Ben says "Suitable for Right hand drive cars (Country's including UK & Japan)
These are the type with the cap in front of the bulb as pictured."
Obviously I'm not happy.

Joesson

Quote from: Ian Gray on May 31, 2023, 13:40This is how I purchased these lights as a pair Mr2 Ben says "Suitable for Right hand drive cars (Country's including UK & Japan)
These are the type with the cap in front of the bulb as pictured."
Obviously I'm not happy.

Your complaint is with MR2 Ben as the supplier who has not delivered what was offered.
If resident in the UK, and the purchase was made via a credit card, then the credit card company would reimburse the purchaser and act against the supplier.
You are not in the UK and I am not aware of the legal situation with international credit card transactions. I am aware that credit cards are valid internationally,
I am also aware that the card co will require  that you have sought to resolve the situation with the supplier.
I would again contact MR2 Ben telling them that the goods are not as described and asking them to respond within ( you decide considering time difference) days.
I would then put your complaint to the credit card co.
Please let us know what happens.
I am sure others will be interested to know of MR2 Ben's customer service and the working of international credit card transactions.

NB.
Any attempt to modify what they have sent you would be deemed as acceptance.

PS .
My recent  dealing with Auto doc , based in Germany, when  I simply changed my mind was resolved by their terms of business that  offered me an insurance cover to return incorrect or unwanted goods.

Tags: