FL Vs PFL rear brake calipers

Started by ihs61, June 2, 2023, 08:18

ihs61

Hi

I have a facelift MR2 (July 2005) and have an issues with the rear calipers, the well documented poor hand brake issue. I have fitted re-build kit from big red but I have never been 100% happy so I have decided to buy two new calipers.

After looking on the net I have noticed that many companys list the calipers to fit - 1999 to 2007, thus implying that the PFL and FL calipers are the same.
However only Brakes international list 1999/2002 (5 speed) and 2003/2007 (6 speed) as differant parts,typcally the FL ones are more expensive.

Can anyone clarify if the calipers are interchangable between the years ?

Many thanks Ian

Topdownman

I cant answer your question but I have had brakeparts international calipers on 2 FL cars and have been happy with them (and the price of them) so would tend to trust them over firms that just sell one part for all.

The handbrake cables are different though so this does suggest something changed.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Call the midlife!

They're interchangeable across the production range, I get the same part coming back if I search for my 2000 or my 06.
There was a point in time where Toyota discontinued a lot of parts and re coded others so that could be a reason, same part but manufactured as a pattern part with a different code.
I'm not even sure one of the mk2s doesn't use the same rear caliper but might be misremembering that one.
60% of the time it works everytime...

ihs61

Thank you guys for your replys,

If the calipers are the same as stated by 'call the midlife', why are the handbrake cables different (sligtly different lengths)
I do recal reading somewhere that the rear cross members are interchangeable but the FL version does has an extra clip/s for the brake cable, so maybe a tad more length was needed  - 'Oh er madam'

Ian

Gaz mr-s

Quote from: ihs61 on June  2, 2023, 09:21Thank you guys for your replys,

If the calipers are the same as stated by 'call the midlife', why are the handbrake cables different (sligtly different lengths)
I do recal reading somewhere that the rear cross members are interchangeable but the FL version does has an extra clip/s for the brake cable, so maybe a tad more length was needed  - 'Oh er madam'

Ian

Yep, it's because of the extra FL bracing.

Ardent

Quote from: Topdownman on June  2, 2023, 08:23I cant answer your question but I have had brakeparts international calipers on 2 FL cars and have been happy with them (and the price of them) so would tend to trust them over firms that just sell one part for all.
+1

Topdownman

You could ring BI and ask them what the difference is?
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Petrus

Quote from: Topdownman on June  2, 2023, 08:23The handbrake cables are different though so this does suggest something changed.

On my PFL the OEM cable could do with a few cm more to better clear the TRD lower arm braces I added.
Perhaps Toyota thought so too?

Ardent

Quote from: ihs61 on June  2, 2023, 09:21I do recal reading somewhere that the rear cross members are interchangeable but the FL version does has an extra clip/s for the brake cable, so maybe a tad more length was needed  - 'Oh er madam'

Ian
You can use an FL subframe on a PFL but not vice versa.

ihs61

Many thanks to all for your words of wisdom, so the answer to my quesion is PFL & FL calipers are the same ! In which case has anyone fitted a calipers assigned as suitable for 1999 to 2007 (as most are) to specifically a FL.

The reason why I am double checking is that my MR2 is at my holiday home in France.

Thanks Ian

Tags: