Glove box damper

Started by steveash, June 14, 2023, 10:54

steveash

When opened my glovebox drops like a stone with a plasticy clonk. Is this normal or should there be a damper?

Carolyn

Plasticy clonk is OEM.  You could put rubber pads on the stops?
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

J88TEO

Cheap and cheerful plastic...
On my Lexus, it drops slowly. On the 2...like yours  ;D

steveash

Thanks! Right I'm going to have a look if I can cushion it a bit. I'm also thinking of getting all fancy and lining the inside of the glove box. Flocking is probably the easiest and a great excuse to use the word in conversation.

Topdownman

Quote from: steveash on June 14, 2023, 12:34Thanks! Right I'm going to have a look if I can cushion it a bit. I'm also thinking of getting all fancy and lining the inside of the glove box. Flocking is probably the easiest and a great excuse to use the word in conversation.

Be careful how you apply it, we wouldnt want you to have to flock off....
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

McMr2

Quote from: steveash on June 14, 2023, 12:34Thanks! Right I'm going to have a look if I can cushion it a bit. I'm also thinking of getting all fancy and lining the inside of the glove box. Flocking is probably the easiest and a great excuse to use the word in conversation.

I haven't looked at it in detail, but I wondered if one of those kitchen drawer dampers could be rigged up behind the glovebox? Probably not optimised for the weight of it but just a thought.
2004 Silver. Stock(ish).

Petrus

I simply hold it in, lower it with my hand and thus ´dampen´ the movement.
There is only  bare minimum in it so not a lot to make it crash down.

The ´stop´ is not much so apart from a self adhesive rubber strip of good old window draft stopper can´t see much working reliably.

steveash

Quote from: McMr2 on June 14, 2023, 18:18I haven't looked at it in detail, but I wondered if one of those kitchen drawer dampers could be rigged up behind the glovebox? Probably not optimised for the weight of it but just a thought.

Nice idea but probably a bit of foam will do a good enough job. I've changed the plastic glove box dampers on a couple of cars before. They don't seem to last very well before they stick and something snaps.

Dev

You have given me an idea. I refinished a whole set of kitchen cabinets a few months ago where I replaced the worn out tiny felt pads dots that cushion the doors with little gel adhesive pads that I assume are a newer style. I think If I apply them where it makes contact it will not make the hard crashing noise.

Dev

I found where the glove box makes contact. It is basically a nub that contacts a ledge on both sides.
 The cabinet bumper did not work as it kept falling off. I have flocking material that I can add on the ledge but I don't think it will be of any benefit as it needs cushioning. 
 There is a place on the top of the glove box that could accommodate one of those fancy cabinet hinges that is dampened to make the door close quietly. 

Joesson

Quote from: steveash on June 14, 2023, 10:54When opened my glovebox drops like a stone with a plasticy clonk. Is this normal or should there be a damper?

When the glove box clonk reaches the top of your "To do" list you can sleep easy!

Dev

I think I found a viable solution.
My Lexus has a box that opens smoothly so I checked out how it works and there is a damper.

I looked it up and it appears it is a common Toyota part that was on most Toyota cars even the economy ones like the Corolla. We probably did not get one because of cost, weight savings or both even though I don't think it adds much weight.

With a little fabrication with drilling a new a small hole though the box you can use a bolt, nut and some washers to mount his damper on one side and do the same for the corresponding two you can mount on inside of the dash. Easy.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175650162608?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&mkscid=101&itemid=175650162608&targetid=1645685073328&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9051750&poi=&campaignid=20133407470&mkgroupid=147476396765&rlsatarget=pla-1645685073328&abcId=9312979&merchantid=6296724&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIz4LotufP_wIVBKjICh2r0wmoEAQYASABEgKTYvD_BwE

Alex Knight

This is indeed a thread of utmost nerdiness  8)

Dev

Quote from: Alex Knight on June 19, 2023, 20:31This is indeed a thread of utmost nerdiness  8)

I wouldn't do it myself regarding the damper but I tried to add some gel cabinet stoppers for fun. My curiosity got the best of me which led to an interesting discovery. With the glove box open on the side closest to the door you can reach your hand into the dash and there is a large enough cavity that can be a secret compartment.
 I will just say briefly that it is large enough to fit things that are easy to access and will not be found if the car is searched.

steveash

I have put a little cube of foam on the stopper which prevents it from being so clattery. I also have a roll of adhesive flocking material arriving tomorrow which should be enough to keep me glued to the inside of my car for some time.

By the way, the glovebox is very easy to remove. You just squeeze the side walls past the stops and then pull to unclip it from its hinges.

Petrus

as I wrote; rubber window strip and cross fingers.

Anyway, mine is near empty and I don´t let it drop; nooooooo issue  :D

SuperArt

We're going to be asking about lambs wool interior carpeting, starlight headliner and scented HVAC next!!!
Best regards,
Arthur
Essex - "Always happy to meet up for a weekend drive"
Making demented squirrel noises since 2014
TTE "Turbo Dodo" - https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?msg=797148
TTE Turbo "Friday" - https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=73711.0

Petrus

Quote from: SuperArt on June 20, 2023, 16:52We're going to be asking about lambs wool interior carpeting,

Solved that  8)

ucb

Quote from: SuperArt on June 20, 2023, 16:52We're going to be asking about lambs wool interior carpeting, starlight headliner and scented HVAC next!!!

Oh, do you know somewhere that might offer such services??
Asking for a friend obviously 😉

steveash

Quote from: SuperArt on June 20, 2023, 16:52We're going to be asking about lambs wool interior carpeting, starlight headliner and scented HVAC next!!!

To be honest, the interior of the MR2 is the one thing that bugs me. I appreciate it is purposely low rent in a Colin Chapmen style, less is more way. However, the design is a messy mixture of styles and hard, scratchy materials. While I wouldn't want to blunt my car's performance with heavy electrical gizmos or full leather trim I would like it to look and feel nicer. Eliminating rattles and making things operate in a more pleasing way make for a car that is more enjoyable to spend time in. People spend fortunes on ripping out the vinyl and nylon interior of 1970s Porsches to replace it with higher quality materials so why not give the Two some love?

Dev

Quote from: steveash on June 20, 2023, 21:36To be honest, the interior of the MR2 is the one thing that bugs me. I appreciate it is purposely low rent in a Colin Chapmen style, less is more way. However, the design is a messy mixture of styles and hard, scratchy materials. While I wouldn't want to blunt my car's performance with heavy electrical gizmos or full leather trim I would like it to look and feel nicer. Eliminating rattles and making things operate in a more pleasing way make for a car that is more enjoyable to spend time in. People spend fortunes on ripping out the vinyl and nylon interior of 1970s Porsches to replace it with higher quality materials so why not give the Two some love?

I agree. This is a road car not a race car with a stripped interior. The OEM interior is cheap looking and ugly which ruins the over all experience not just for me but others that see it. Other cars including the last two generations of the Miata came with nice interiors.
I fixed it to my taste using high quality materials.

SuperArt

You guys are going to like this then...

This was many years ago. Someone built this showcar in Japan and had all the plastic pieces taken out and fully trimmed in leather/suede. I saw the in progress photos showing the material being cut out and carefully adhered to the panels.
You cannot view this attachment.

Best regards,
Arthur
Essex - "Always happy to meet up for a weekend drive"
Making demented squirrel noises since 2014
TTE "Turbo Dodo" - https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?msg=797148
TTE Turbo "Friday" - https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=73711.0

Dev

It looks well done but the aesthetic is not to my taste. Too many gauges and too opulent like it belongs to a Russian gangster. I prefer an interior aesthetic that looks very OEM and understated like I didn't do it.
I'm sure others would like it but I like it to be less flashy.
Maybe I will take a good picture of my interior this weekend so you can see what I mean.

steveash

Sorted. A couple of small cubes of foam glued onto the stops damp the clunk nicely without it feeling unnecessarily luxuriant.

The adhesive backed lining does a great job of tidying up the glovebox and reduces the sound of things flying around! I'm happy to pass on my experiences of the job if anyone is interested.

Dev

That looks nice. Well done.   8)

Tags: