Origin B2 GPS/Laser Detector

Started by Anonymous, August 20, 2003, 21:49

Anonymous

Searched the forum, but counted no hits...although I know there is one.

I know at least two of you guys have the new Origin B2, one of which was on show at JAE.  Just ordered my upgrade with additional car kit, my question is where and how is the Laser thingy located.

My current setup is as follows (the Bluei), and I wondered what differences I can expect with the B2, especially for the laser.

Ford Focus - GPS Ariel in rear window
MR2 Roadster - GPS Ariel on front dash

GSB

I've never seen one of these, but police practice seems to be to aim the laser at your number plate, as the reflective material offers a greater return signal, especially with a convertible where a windscreen shot on a clean window will go straight through. (Although I have heard the more sadistic Traffic Officers - So thats all of them then - aim it right between the drivers eye's...)

So I'd suggest putting it somewhere in that general location.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

I'd agree; recommendations I've heard before suggest to place detectors (and esp. jammers) in the front-grille area.

Anonymous

Thanks guys, I should get all the gear early next week and will try to figure out where to put it all.

Anonymous

Has anyone actually managed an upgrade?

Origin have called me and said that in order to get the £100 upgrade discount I need to return them the Bluei unit.  This is the first I have heard that its a trade-in!

No sure who it was here that said they had upgraded, but did they have to return their original unit?.

Anonymous

Update from the Director at Origin - Basically, I have had to purchase at full price, as I had already agreed to sell the Bluei unit so I can upgrade to B2.  However I find their £100 discount is not an upgrade at all.

You all know how much I rate their product, but this little episode has cost me a lot of money, and I think its discusting customer service.

Dear Craig

Thank you for your message and your order, which will be processed today.  I am sorry to hear that you feel that we have misrepresented the upgrade arrangements for existing customers.  You are correct in saying that the arrangement is a part-exchange and that the meaning of "upgrade" is loose in that context.  I can assure you that is has always been our policy to explain the upgrade in these terms and I do apologise if in your case the position was not made clear.

I hope you enjoy your Origin b2,

Yours sincerely

Toby Mynott
Commercial Director

Anonymous

But by selling the old one, aint you actually saved money (im guessing the new one is say £400 and you sold yours for around £200... so thats a new version for £200.... all made up figures!)

Anonymous

This is what I thought.

I bought the Bluei in April for £400 + £50 for extra car bits

I sold it all this week for £200.

Was under the impression that I would be able to get the B2 for £320 + £100 for extra car kit (cradle, power, laser thing, GPS antenne).  So £420 - £200 (bluei) - Cost to me £220.

In the end I have had to pay £430 (full B2 price) + £100 (extra car kit) - £200 (bluei) = £330.

Ok so its only another £100, and I have more money than sense (upgrading after 4 months), but its the principle, in my mind they openly mis-lead me up until the point of sale..then its too late.  Technically though, I guess I am £100 up, as they are in effect buying back the Bluei for £100...but I bet they sell them on as refurbs anyway.

Just think its very bad practice really.

Anonymous

I've not read the exact text of the "upgrade" offer, but in principle it doesn't seem unreasonable that they want the old one back in part-ex. Otherwise, you've got two still-functioning units, for a stonking price.

The alternative would be for them to transfer your subscription to the new unit, thereby leaving the old unit unsubscribed. The new purchaser of that could then take out a standalone subscription, generating revenue for Origin. A bit like second-hand mobiles I suppose; useless until re-subscribed.

Anonymous

On the surface of it, you may think that this is exceptable...however

The bluei has a 2nd hand market value of around £200.

They are offering £100 off by you have to hand back a unit that you can sell for £200.  It is also plainly obviously that they intend to either resale the unti for full retail of £400 or as refurbs.

So basically they lose £100 discount, but gain a unit that at best saves them £200-£400.  Not a very nice thing to do to customers.

You mention the mobile upgrades.  Well, every year I upgrade my mobile phone to the latest model.  I then manage to sell my old model "off-line" for far more than the upgrade was, hence quids in.  Networks never ask for you old phone back...or they would have to call it a "trade-in" and not an "upgrade".

At the end of the day, with Origin, I am only £100 worse off having to pay for a new model full price, but they are deliberately mis-leading customers and p*ssing off valued customers like me.  The only reason I have stuck with them is that I still believe that the B2 is a superiour product than any other on the market (IMHO)

Anonymous

I wasn't standing up for them; I've not even read their "offer" terms, so I don't doubt that you're right   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Meanwhile, I accept that Origin's product (and in particular the database) is one of, if not the, best out there. What I really want is for them to do a "software only" product to run on PocketPC, using their same database. I currently use TrafCam, which works well, but the database isn't great (too many false positives), and it doesn't have a a couple of useful features (although they're working on them).

If Origin were to develop a software-only product that offers the same feature set as their hardware products, I'd buy it tomorrow, since I already have a GPS and PDA, and don't want to spend £400+ buying hardware again.

Anonymous

This is where they have me...there is nothing in writing anywhere about these "upgrades" its purely a verbal thing....so I can't really fight it or be bothered to.

As for the database, there is no technical reason why they cant share this database, or make it available to PDA users...the new unit will download to use on PDA, and I believe the B2 is updatable using the net rather than modem.

I guess its something they may consider...I will ask the director geezer if its something they are planning, I am sure if they did, then they have another £50 a year revenue from a market where they dont even need to sell any gear too.

Anonymous

Quote from: "cstevens"I guess its something they may consider...I will ask the director geezer if its something they are planning, I am sure if they did, then they have another £50 a year revenue from a market where they dont even need to sell any gear too.

Indeed; I'd happily pay a reasonable up-front cost for software (sub-£100 for an equivalent feature-set), and then the same ongoing subscription cost as anyone else.

I've just sent them an email, so we'll see what they say...

Anonymous

I'm just about to fork out some cash for a PDA+GPS+Routing software, so some camera software would be considered if it were the right price also.

Tags: