OE Headunit Fixings - Secure or just a pain? (POLL)

Started by Anonymous, August 26, 2003, 10:35

Anonymous

When i was removing the OE H/u i was amazed, its not fixed using a cage or anything its SCREWED into the dash, at the time i thought it was a really good security measure as it'd be nigh on impossible to steal but then it occured to me the damage that may be done if they CAN'T get it out.......think i'd rather they just took it if they got in.

What you guys think?

Anonymous

Do you really think that someone would steal our fisher price stereo?   s:? :? s:?  

I woudl probably pay someone to take it away!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Sorry, i asn't clear you have to fix any aftermarket one in the same way using brackets that are screwed into the dash unlike a cage which just uses flimsy metal flaps to hold the h/u in place.

Tem

If someone wants to steal it, he will. I estimate 10 seconds with a crowbar and cutters.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Hmm i dunno if a car stereo thief would have those tools to hand though, it'd also take a lot of force, if he used a crowbar it'd have to take the whole dash out as its all connected and those screws are hard.

Slacey

I prefer it the way it is. OK, it's harder to work on, but the knowledge of how it is fixed will put the casual scrote off.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

I prefer it screwed rather than clipped as it prevents rattling.  
Not that it matters in the MR2 as everything else seem to rattle anyway.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Slacey"I prefer it the way it is. OK, it's harder to work on, but the knowledge of how it is fixed will put the casual scrote off.

I agree but then thought well the kinda people who break into cars are uneducated and so may not know that its fixed like that....?

Anonymous

Quote from: "bigun007"
Quote from: "Slacey"I prefer it the way it is. OK, it's harder to work on, but the knowledge of how it is fixed will put the casual scrote off.

I agree but then thought well the kinda people who break into cars are uneducated and so may not know that its fixed like that....?

I'd go along with that... the last bods that broke into my car did so with absolutely nothing on display.  They didn't bother opening the doors, and left the 600quid stereo.  Are all thieves stupid?

Tem

Quote from: "phil4"Are all thieves stupid?

No. Some are so smart that they'd make a good living even with honest stuff...

Anyway, no idea about UK, but over here thieves thank for a secure connection by demolishing the cars interior. Someone just broke to one local club members car, apparently tried to get the stereo, but didn't get it...instead he decided to slash the leather interior and dash. Insurance company totaled the car.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

That's awful, i can imagine that happening over here as well.

I had my old Astra in a car park in Hull, my first night at uni, i had my £2K PC, £1.5K laptop, £500 stereo (midi system) £400 Pioneer H/U, £200 laser printer, PS2 and a few CD's and games in the car, all covered by a rug (CCTV car park).

They broke into my car, and stole the CD's left everything else.   s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

must of been in basildon then not very clever around there LOL left my car open for a nigth when i went clubbing and not a thing happend did have 2 very big bouncers looking after it for me LOL ( a quick slip of £20 is all thast needed)   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Quote from: "bigun007"That's awful, i can imagine that happening over here as well.

I had my old Astra in a car park in Hull, my first night at uni, i had my £2K PC, £1.5K laptop, £500 stereo (midi system) £400 Pioneer H/U, £200 laser printer, PS2 and a few CD's and games in the car, all covered by a rug (CCTV car park).

They broke into my car, and stole the CD's left everything else.   s:? :? s:?

Well thats what you told the Insurance company eh!....you missed off the DJ decks, the Amp, the Mididisc players, the kitchen sink...all the average stuff you find in most cars I suppose?

Anonymous

Lol, i meant that they LEFT all that stuff mate.

It was my first night at uni before i could get into halls and was staying at Hotel.

Tags: