DYNAMAT – yet another question!

Started by Darth Paul, August 28, 2003, 17:21

Darth Paul

For Buster mainly!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Just bought some of this stuff and I've seen the articles about placing it around and behind the speakers (stock at the mo). Should I be sticking it anywhere else?

Oh all right  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  , if you really want to, you can answer creatively...  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Cheers

DP

Slacey

I'm sure Buster will be along shortly, but his main instruction to me was to completely cover the inner doorskin behind the speaker with a couple of layers and line the rest of the door if you have enough (which with two large packs I did).
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Darth Paul

Quote from: "Slacey"I'm sure Buster will be along shortly, but his main instruction to me was to completely cover the inner doorskin behind the speaker with a couple of layers and line the rest of the door if you have enough (which with two large packs I did).

Presumably you remove the plastic lining thing first then?  s:? :? s:?  

DP

Slacey

If you pull back the bit at the lock end, there is a large aperture through which you can manouver in the strips of mat. You will have removed the speakers which then gives you a hole at the other end. It makes sense when you see it!

Anonymous

Slacey is learning fast   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s8) 8) s8)  

what a teacher   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:   fancey doing a SPL install this weekend only got to get 5 15" subs in a new skyline   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

but getting back to question,

Paul,
      The main part of teh door that will benerfit from dynomat is the outer skin of teh door i.e behind the speaker. This is because dynomat main purpose is to reflect the sound this makes the speaker sound louder, It also acts as a vibrational dampaning system which can stop speakers sounding like they are being pushed to hard !!!!!

So the best place to put the dynomat is rigth behind the speaker this will give good sound reflction! But to make vibration go away and i think an improved sound performace is to mount the dynomat around teh speaker mounts i.e. where the speaker bracket mounts onto the door this will create a softer and airtigt sill on the speaker to door.

If like comer LOL   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:   you get lots of dynomat you can line the whole outside skin of the door this will create a larger surface to trap the sound and reflect it back to your ears   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

important things to note tho are
1) heat the dynomat up with a heat gun or hair dryer to get is soft and malubal
2) make sure all air bubbles are out and push hard
3) overlap the dynomat as you have to cut it into small sqaure to get it in teh door
4) 2 layers normall dose behind teh speaker and single layer everyware else
5) can get flashing tap from wicks which is just as good but a lot cheaper
6) dont forget to wind the window up so you dont stick dynomat to the glass but i know you lot a a lot more intergent then that   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Slacey

Quote from: "Buster"Slacey is learning fast   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s8) 8) s8)
Why, thank you Dave!

Quote from: "Buster"what a teacher   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:   fancey doing a SPL install this weekend only got to get 5 15" subs in a new skyline   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
I'll be honest, I'm really getting into the whole audio thing now, even to the point of considering sticking a sub in the rear lockers!
(Any recommendations....   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  )

Darth Paul

Cheers guys!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   Let's hope for some good weather this weekend!

DP

zud

I followed Buster's advice about getting some flashing tape.  It's a fair bit cheaper than Dynamat and more malleable (I hadn't seen Buster's hairdryer tip at the time!).

Anyway, I used the flashing tape for what I considered the less important bits:
* as the first layer behind the speaker, then with a layer of dynamat over the top
* between the crossover box and the door (to prevent rattles)
* over the speaker cable runs (e.g.  between crossover and speaker - again to prevent rattles)
* To strengthen and water-proof a rain shield above the speaker (Buster had some concerns about overheating the speaker, but it should be fine with my amp-less set-up)
Blue SMT with leather, A/C and TTE Twin.

Tags: