Replaced Speakers - Amplified?

Started by Anonymous, August 29, 2003, 09:48

Anonymous

Hey guys, have replaced my h/u i was well impressed with the speakers but now i can actaully hear they are just plain toilet.

So i need to upgrade them, what i wanted to know is if you have amplified your speakers and if not what they sound like.

My h/u is fairly powerful 4*52 peak so about 27W RMS (ish).

Cheers

James.

Anonymous

I'm going for a 4 stage plan:
1. Upgrade HU (Done)
2. Upgrade Speakers (Tomorrow!)
3. Upgrade Wiring
4. Add Amp

I'm hoping to be able to stop after 2 but will wait and see.

J

Anonymous

Seems you are just one step ahead of me, will you post tomorrow and let me know what you think?

Cheers

James

Anonymous

Sure will, as long as I don't f**k it up cos I'll be crying instead.

J

Slacey

Don't worry, it really is quite easy!   s:D :D s:D
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Focal install update:This has been probably the worst day of my life.  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  
Having said that, it's all done - and it sounds amazing.  I guarentee it will be the best thing you've ever done audio-wise.  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  
See Busters original thread for some tips.

J

Slacey

Glad to see you got it all sorted in the end Jim!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Why was it the worst day mate?

Ta for the input

Anonymous

Just cos it didn't go according to plan - had about a hundred unscheduled trips to various DIY stores.
To put you in the picture, the first door took about 4 hours and the second about 1 hour.
Very worth it, although my door panels still rattle at highish volumes    s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  

J

Tem

Quote from: "bigun007"My h/u is fairly powerful 4*52 peak so about 27W RMS (ish).

Just wondering...what HU do you have and was that RMS just a guess?

Local Hifi-magazine just measured the true output RMS from various headunits that quote 50W or more/channel. The highest real RMS was 13W/channel at 14.5V.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

I think James has got a Sony H/U.  IIRC the Sony website has the RMS output figures.  Doesn't mean it's true of course   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

J

Anonymous

Yeah it was just a guess as i thought RMS is APPROX 1/2 of peak.

I'll post proper specs in few mnins

Anonymous

Can't find any specs - its a Sony CDXM630 incase anyone CAN find some lol.

I no longer have the manual.

Anonymous

Found one or a few

FM Usable Sensitivity (dBf) -- 8dBf
Selectivity (400kHz) -- 75dB
S/N Ratio -- 66dB
Total Harmonic Distortion (at 1kHz stereo) -- 0.6%
Channel Separation (at 1kHz) -- 35dB
Frequency Response -- 30 - 15kHz
AM Usable Sensitivity -- 30 uV
CD --
S/N Ratio -- 90 dB
Frequency Response -- 10 - 20kHz
Power Amplifier --
Maximum Output Power -- 52W x 4 (at 4 ohms)
ADHOC -- 23.2 W x 4 (at 4 ohms, 20 - 20kHz, 5% THD)
Speaker Impedance -- 4 - 8 ohms
General --
Weight -- 1.5 kg (2 lb. 10 oz.)
Dimensions -- Approx. 178 x 50 x 182mm (7-1/8 x 2 x 7-1/4") (w/h/d)

taken from  m http://www.xplodsony.com/products/?CATE ... D=CDX-M630 m

James.

Anonymous

so 23.2W RMS but may be inaccurate (knowing Sony).

Tem

What's ADHOC? Google only finds Sony specs with that...

"ADHOC -- 23.2 W x 4 (at 4 ohms, 20 - 20kHz, 5% THD)"

That THD makes all the difference though. My amp quotes 4x55W with 0.01% THD and labels that as RMS. It also quotes 4x110W with 5% THD and a peak power of 4x220W with 10% THD.

Anonymous

Hey mate, i found this as well if this is any clearer
http://www.appliance-haven.com/Sony_CDXM630.html

Check the bold and intalic bits mate.

Sony In Dash CD Receiver, Model CDXM630 Key Features:Active Black Panel (ABP)5-color dot matrix liquid crystal display52W x 4 high powerCD/CD-R/CD-RW audio playbackSSIR-EXA Adaptive Reception tunerStation Memo™ titlesCD/MD changer controlXM Satellite Radio readyDynamic Soundstage Organizer (DSO)EQ7 7-band equalizer with 7 user-adjustable presetsCustom File™ and CD Text™ display1-Bit D/A converterFront/rear preamp outputs with hi-pass filterSubwoofer preamp output with lo-pass filterAux Lite input for easy addition of external sound sourcesSupplied wireless card remoteOptional wired rotary remoteFeatures:8 times over-sampling A digital filter which calculates 7 additional samples between the actual samples, which provides a closer representation the original analog signal, and therefore better sound quality.1-bit D/A A type of digital to analog converter who's output is restricted to only two values. Unlike a multi-bit D/A, in which each bit possess it's own corresponding output voltage, a 1-bit D/A's output voltage is expressed by means of the time axis; I.e. PWM or PDM.Active Servo Control A proprietary Sony technology for CD and MD players. A circuit which monitors tracking and focus functions, among others, and actively adjusts those functions for optimal performance.CD Text A compact disc and player feature utilizing disc, track, and artist information encoded directly on the CD media. Both playback and media components must have CD Text compatibility.CD Control The ability of a component to operate a CD or MD disc changer.Quartz clock A clock type that employs a quartz crystal, set to vibrate at a fixed frequency, providing a reference for maintaining accurate time.Dot Matrix Display A display type that employs regularly spaced patterned grids of point-source lighting elements. As a result, characters displayed have greater resolution than a segmented display.Optional Rotary Commander Also called driver's remote. An ancillary control interface providing intuitive and safe operation of a car stereo.MD Control The ability of a component to operate a CD or MD disc changerCUSTOM FILE A feature package that provides intuitive and safe source management for an audio and A/V system. Examples include Disc Memo, Station Memo, and Memo List.X-tal Lock Tuner Short hand for crystal lock, Sony's proprietary tuning technology which employs a quartz crystal to generate a reference frequency from which all others are derived. Assures accurate frequency selection.SSIR-EXA Sony's proprietary SSIR-EX tuner technology which can actually adjust the tuner's bandwidth, depending on current environmental conditions. Improved sound quality and adjacent station interference result.Specifications:TunerFM Usable Sensitivity (dBf) 8FM Selectivity (400Hz) 75FM S/N Ratio (dB) 66 StereoFM Separation @ 1kHz (dB) 35FM Frequency Response (Hz) 30-15kAM Sensitivity (µV) 30Power Amplifier Speaker Impedance (ohms) 4-8 Maximum Power Output (watts) 52x4RMS Power Output (watts) 23.2x4 Disc Section Frequency Response (Hz) 10-20kS/N Ratio (dB) 90THD 0.01%Approximate Mounting Dimensions:Width: 182mm Height: 53mm Depth: 161mm Weight:Approximate Shipping Weight: 15 lbs

Anonymous

That final one states 0.01% THD so i dunno if the top one was just an error?

Tem

Quote from: "bigun007"That final one states 0.01% THD so i dunno if the top one was just an error?

Ah, thanks  s:) :) s:)  Now you got me interested in Sony HUs  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tem"What's ADHOC? Google only finds Sony specs with that...

That THD makes all the difference though. My amp quotes 4x55W with 0.01% THD and labels that as RMS. It also quotes 4x110W with 5% THD and a peak power of 4x220W with 10% THD.

Holy Crap!!!  Anything above 0.1 Total Harmonic Distortion is not worth bothering.  From my experience with home Hi-Fi, only the output with the least THD should be quoted...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Emmanuel"
Quote from: "Tem"What's ADHOC? Google only finds Sony specs with that...

Holy Crap!!!  Anything above 0.1 Total Harmonic Distortion is not worth bothering.  From my experience with home Hi-Fi, only the output with the least THD should be quoted...

As i say i think its a typing error as all the other specs i have are at 0.01%

Anonymous

taking it a bit to far there guys   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Tags: