Gauges? We don't need no steenking gauges.

Started by Anonymous, November 26, 2005, 18:49

Anonymous

Not physical ones, anyway.

Hardware:
- Power FC with Datalogit
- Tablet PC with USB to serial adapter
- Innovate LC-1 wideband O2 (currently reading differential analog into Datalogit, but it will be digital (serial) before too long)
- Bosch oil temperature sender connected to Datalogit

Software:
- Windows XP Tablet Edition
- Copliot (still very much a work in progress).  I still have some bugs to work out, but am making good progress.

Slacey

Very nice Kevin - clever sod  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Sod... that's a good thing, right?  Sod is earth, earth gives life, life is good.  s:) :) s:)  

Just kidding, I'm familiar with the expression.  Thanks.  I sometimes wonder why I have to do everything the hard way.  One has to have a hobby, I suppose.  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Yes, but is it wireless?  s:D :D s:D  
I'll take one with a neural interface so I dont have to look.  s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

It could be.   The tablet has bluetooth and wireless Ethernet.  The only thing I don't like is screen brightness.   Not bright enough during the day.

Anonymous

Let me get this straight: First you come over here pimping your shiny new 2ZZ install, and then you shove this new-fangled device in our faces? Would I be correct in assuming this is all to gloat?

Still, if I had done something as astoundingly superb as that, I'd be damn proud of myself as well. Nice work, Beanie!  s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

A big reason for doing things like this is to talk about it.  I really like that part of it.  Also, I'm just very much into doing projects.... even ones that are not the most practical.  If there is an unusual way of doing something, that's what I'm going to choose.  I like the visual aspect of things, too (hence the red engine, fancy valve cover, user interface software).

Now I don't think a PC is the best possible thing to have in a car due to the boot time and moving parts (even when shock mounted), but this is starting to develop into something that we may see more of (from companies, OEMs and aftermarket).   Messing with a PC is something the passenger, not the driver, should be doing, which is why the program is called "Copilot".  I'm designing this program to do it's thing without any user input while driving.  It will connect to my head unit (audio out) and all I have to do is play a sound if something noteworthy happens (maybe knock warning, injectors maxed, low this, high that).  It's a hobby, that's all.  I'm just fortunate to have time to fiddle like this.

Tags: