Oil Capacity for the 6 speed LSD gearbox?

Started by Asura, January 29, 2023, 20:30

Asura

Can't seem to find what capacity does the gearbox and the differential together take?

For the servicing, I'm going to get the Redline MT90. I'm guessing this should also be fine for the diff?

Call the midlife!

You'll never fully drain the gearbox by the drain plug so 2 bottles of the mt90 SHOULD be enough to refill after a drain.
Sod's law it won't be for some reason but generally you can get away with it.
60% of the time it works everytime...

AJRFulton

Answer is make sure car is level, then fill it until it starts coming out the fill hole.

My experience is it takes about 2.0L if allowed to drain overnight.

But it could realistically be anywhere between 1.8 and 2.1L depending on angle, gunk, temperature, etc.

Joesson

@Asura
My 2002 Handbook, Specifications/ page 241/ 5 speed gear box, quotes 1.8L for box with LSD (UK models) and 1.9L without LSD. I seem to recall a post by @Carolyn about the difference between 5/6 speed boxes.

Call the midlife!

Just bear in mind the book capacities are quoted from dry fill, so unless you're having it stripped and cleaned you're not going to need that amount.
Generally speaking.
60% of the time it works everytime...

Dev

One of the big mistakes people make is undoing the speedo block off hole and adding transmission fluid to the amount in the service book which is dry fill. More fluid will cause oil starvation and possible leaks so it's important to do it like the book says and let drip out the fill hole.
The same with engine oil as I had to drain fluid from two owners cars that insisted their mechanic add the full amount of what they gave them because they believed oil capacity specified in the book was more important than the dipstick.

Joesson

I do agree that the book quotes a fill quantity, In practice useful for the acquisition of a near enough amount considering the pack sizes available. Filling to overspill from the filling hole has been the advice on any car, of the not so many cars , I have worked on. The exception being the second car I owned, a first generation Austin Mini. The engine and transmission being in the one unit and oil fill quantity determined by the engine dipstick. Perhaps not the most long lived of mechanical arrangements! I am unaware of other cars that have used this system.

Dev

Quote from: Joesson on February  2, 2023, 16:37I do agree that the book quotes a fill quantity, In practice useful for the acquisition of a near enough amount considering the pack sizes available. Filling to overspill from the filling hole has been the advice on any car, of the not so many cars , I have worked on. The exception being the second car I owned, a first generation Austin Mini. The engine and transmission being in the one unit and oil fill quantity determined by the engine dipstick. Perhaps not the most long lived of mechanical arrangements! I am unaware of other cars that have used this system.

It is useful as you say on the amount of fluid necessary to have on hand for the change by knowing the capacity but unfortunately most including lazy service professional who should know better do not understand this either. You will be surprised how many do not know dry fill, wet fill, dry torque and wet torque specs. These are all crucial and why I only want to do the work on my car because most of the time these mistakes are not necessarily catastrophic but over time they can create longterm damage that you will never know and will attribute to bad luck. 
 These newer Toyota automatic transmissions are even more complex with fluid level. There is a whole procedure of of having to heat up the newly changed fluid to the correct temperature range and then you have to undo an over flow plug to relieve the extra fluid due to expansion. If it is not done correctly you can cause damage and poor shifting.

Ferrousfe

Just to add to this as I recently had to top off my gearbox oil due to a leak:

You can reach the gearbox fill hole plug (on the six speed at least) with the car fully on the ground. I did it this way as it's very easy to make sure the car is level.
Easiest way to reach it is lie on the ground and put your arm under the car just in front of the passenger side wheel (in front as in towards front of the car). You can then feel for the plug by working your way uo the gearbox (you can see it if you lie on the ground and look up.

I opened the fill hole and then fill via the speedometer cable hole using a funnel, as soon as I see it start to trickle out I leave it till it drips and then close both the holes back up.

Hope this helps, seems to be accurate way to fill and I've had no issues so far with this method.

Tags: