ECU Master Black Maps

Started by AJRFulton, March 14, 2023, 11:45

AJRFulton

I posted in the Reader Rides thread.

I bought the 2ZZ MR2 kit from RRR, but no map installed on it.

Does anyone have a base map they can throw me over so I can get the car started. I need a running engine to load it onto the trailer and take it to somebody who knows what they are doing.

Call the midlife!

Have you tried RRR direct? They SHOULD be able to send you a base map over, corresponding to your application but in all honesty their maps aren't usually very idle speed/low rev friendly as they're tailored for race applications generally.
60% of the time it works everytime...

AJRFulton

Quote from: Call the midlife! on March 14, 2023, 11:54Have you tried RRR direct? They SHOULD be able to send you a base map over, corresponding to your application but in all honesty their maps aren't usually very idle speed/low rev friendly as they're tailored for race applications generally.

They are not the fastest to respond. I have emailed them but maybe 2-3 days to respond.

I am running a high compression engine, so the default map won't run nicely, but I need it to get from garage to trailer.

Carolyn

@shnazzle might have a 1ZZ turbo map on his laptop.  It'll get you on the trailer at least.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

shnazzle

If it's high-comp, I wouldn't run the map I have. Not even sure it would start on it.
You;re welcome to it
...neutiquam erro.

AJRFulton

Quote from: shnazzle on March 14, 2023, 12:05If it's high-comp, I wouldn't run the map I have. Not even sure it would start on it.
You;re welcome to it

I say high compression, it's 13:1 and running stage 3 cams.

shnazzle

Quote from: AJRFulton on March 14, 2023, 12:09I say high compression, it's 13:1 and running stage 3 cams.
That's very high compared to stock!
...neutiquam erro.

Carolyn

I'm sure it will get it started.

it'll run like crap, but idle is idle!
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

shnazzle

If it's literally just to get it started, wouldn't it be easier just to build the base from scratch? Especially if you literally just need ot to go up to about 2k rpm 
...neutiquam erro.

Alex Knight

Have you tried to call RRR?

shnazzle

is it 2zz? A bit confused now.
If it helps; I can confirm that the 2zz lotus basemap in this link is the same as the one used on the map we got
http://ecumaster.perek.it/basemaps_view.php

it'll throw some errors as it's an old map, but the basis should be there
...neutiquam erro.

AJRFulton

shnazzle

Quote from: AJRFulton on March 14, 2023, 12:38No answer every time I try.
that has always been the case. Chronically understaffed
...neutiquam erro.

Mark A

I think I have a 2ZZ base map for a MR2 but won't have access to the laptop until tomorrow

AJRFulton

RRR have now sent me a base map. So will have a go and hope it fires tonight.

I'm out my depth with mapping though. I am a technophobe.

Call the midlife!

If I remember right they SHOULD have a 2zz with stage 2 cams from a previous install on a member's car. But any that they send you will need a fair bit of tweaking, thankfully you're trailering to the tuner's so you'll probably be sweet.

AJRFulton

Quote from: Call the midlife! on March 15, 2023, 10:21If I remember right they SHOULD have a 2zz with stage 2 cams from a previous install on a member's car. But any that they send you will need a fair bit of tweaking, thankfully you're trailering to the tuner's so you'll probably be sweet.

Yeah it will be trailered to Dynatune in East Kilbride for a proper run in and tune.

Then a short hop to Kenneth Brown to set the car up for Knockhill and it should be good to race.

Still needs some basic wiring done for the transponder/rain light/fans

Going to butcher the old harness to take out the modification for turning down the power steering and stopping it be speed variable - which I loved on track.

AJRFulton

Quote from: Anon on March 15, 2023, 10:55Fancy emailing over the file so I can have a look? Anon@hotmail.co.uk

No worries if not.

Sent

Call the midlife!

Quote from: AJRFulton on March 15, 2023, 10:56Yeah it will be trailered to Dynatune in East Kilbride for a proper run in and tune.

Then a short hop to Kenneth Brown to set the car up for Knockhill and it should be good to race.

Still needs some basic wiring done for the transponder/rain light/fans

Going to butcher the old harness to take out the modification for turning down the power steering and stopping it be speed variable - which I loved on track.
Not to detract from their obvious skills at what they do at RRR, they're just not very road tune focused, or at least they haven't been previously.
Ask them for a balls out race tune for a track car and you'll be golden, I struggled to drive mine home from their unit and then had to have the idle remote tuned at home the next day.
But again to be fair it was a fairly outrageous setup in 1zz terms compared to what they were used to dealing with.

AJRFulton

Might be a stupid question, but how do you actually go about loading these onto to ECU?

Is it as simple as open the program (which I've never opened), and import file, save?

AJRFulton

I'm not that bad with tech tbf, I just have no interest in it and my technical learning curve stopped at php and mySQL in about 2005. I don't even own a smart phone.

thetyrant

If your struggling then for fuel money i would drive up and help you load map and get running etc, but its good 140 miles each way for me so maybe you have a better/closer option ?

Ex-2005 roadster  owner, i will be back :D

Call the midlife!

Bearing in mind you're probably going to be needing to make constant adjustments to your map as you go along it might be worth having a look at HP Academy on youtube and maybe buying some of their online courses.
They have different courses available to suit different applications/skillsets, I've still to even start any of mine but then again my turbo is still sat in a box, waiting to be refitted...

AJRFulton

Cheers for the offer.

I think I'll be fine with it. I uploaded the map last night and turning the ignition it is making the right clicks and whirrs, which it wasn't before.

I haven't tried to start the car as I've a capillary oil pressure gauge and currently have the dashboard out. Unfortunately the car is currently off the 2 poster, so can't easily get below it to just remove the capillary at source and plug it (it pegs off at the sandwich plate).

An hour will get the dashboard in and everything plugged in and buttoned up where it should be. Should have an answer tonight if it starts. Then it's just a few minor bits (try tidy up the looms).

thetyrant

Ok hopefully map is good enough to get it started :)  happy to come and tinker if needed.

As CTM says above it might be an idea to learn a bit more about this side of things with a course or if your mapper will give you the basics maybe, in my opinion having no interest in learning the tech and hoping its just going to work perfect once mapped with an aftermarket ecu will bite you and cost you lost track time maybe even an engine, for example last thing you need at a race meeting is to be stuck with a non starter/poor running etc due a slight ecu gremlin and not being able to access it at the track to reset a sensor etc or see why its not running right etc, unless your mapper is always at the track ?.

In my experience standalone aftermarket ecus especially the ECUmaster stuff are not solid bullet proof tech you can fit,map and forget, often needing a tweak here and there to keep everything working especially on a highly strung motor like this,  be good for you to at least get familiar with the basic software structure and data available from it when powered up in the car etc so you can see whats going on to troubleshoot if needed, or if you dont want a part of that a laptop with you at track and able to use teamviewer or other desktop sharing software so you can get remote help if your mapper is good with doing that.

Good luck with it all though and hopefully you finally get to try our pads :D
Ex-2005 roadster  owner, i will be back :D

Tags: