FL Headlight adjustment

Started by B_Tank88, September 18, 2023, 14:56

B_Tank88

After refitted the headlamp bulbs on my FL dipped beams, they now sit properly, they were not flush before and were moving around.

However, the dipped beams were now pointing extremely low, next to no illumination on the road.

So I started doing the adjusters, the right side adjusts well and got to a high enough level. But, the left one does not go as high (it does adjust, just doesnt go high enough).

I know there are left/right adjusters too, I wonder if these can have any influence on the low/high adjustment?

Any other idea why the left light doesn't point as high as the right?
2004 MR2 Roadster Sable/Red<br />2005 Corsa 1.2<br />2003 E46 M3 Coupe SMG

Ardent

This us not the UK and EU part having the same part number but different is it.
Relates to a recent post.

Just re seated the bulbs, not changed the whole unit?

B_Tank88

Quote from: Ardent on September 18, 2023, 20:10This us not the UK and EU part having the same part number but different is it.
Relates to a recent post.

Just re seated the bulbs, not changed the whole unit?

Hi Ardent,

No it's not a follow up.. just coincidence I guess.

Just reseated the bulbs while I was fixing my wiring because of burnt H7 Bulb clips.

They were not properly seated before but now definitely are, but lights are pointing down.

The left hand side I can't get high enough.. the right side one goes higher.

Ardent

Straw clutching here. I take it the whole unit is sitting/positioned correctly.

Joesson

@B_Tank88

Not particularly helpful but my car had been serviced and MOT'd OK by Toyota dealer for 3/4 years. First time with an independent tester the near side headlight was too low! They adjusted it and it passed. I always thought the lighting was poor, much improved when adjusted.
If the headlight unit is sitting correctly then there is only the bulb that you have just fitted. It should be one or the other.

Carolyn

I swapped the headlights on my PFL last year.  Then I discovered one would not adjust down far enough to be legal.  I ended up shimming the top mounting points with thick washers to get it right. I think the adjuster was defective.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

B_Tank88

I'm really struggling with these. My left headlight just won't go high enough after adjusting as much as possible.

My right adjusts higher, but to get good projection I needed it to go a little higher so I kept going and.. eventually all of a sudden it dipped and doesn't go as high anymore and matches the left one! Too low.

I wonder if the internal adjustment has broken or popped off :(

Ardent

Joesson

Quote from: B_Tank88 on October 12, 2023, 00:24I'm really struggling with these. My left headlight just won't go high enough after adjusting as much as possible.

My right adjusts higher, but to get good projection I needed it to go a little higher so I kept going and.. eventually all of a sudden it dipped and doesn't go as high anymore and matches the left one! Too low.

I wonder if the internal adjustment has broken or popped off :(

I just learnt a new expression from @steveash in the photography thread:
MacGyver
To make or repair an object in an inventive way using whatever materials are to hand.
That should cover your situation. Unfortunately that would best be achieved with the headlight off the car. Seems like the adjuster has reached it's limit and some inventive adjustment of the adjuster is required.

B_Tank88

I didn't have these fitted!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/295855158182

So the position of the bulbs (even though I got them snug) were competely wrong. Now I actually have vision.

My yellow lenses are another matter.. new lights are £520 for the pair.. and restoring them isn't working as well one stays milky.

Tags: