Power Steering Pipes

Started by MrChris, November 10, 2023, 10:31

MrChris

Hi all, steering started making some horrific noises the other day. Noticed a bit of oil on the drive from the front of the car. Have had a look and clearly oil was leaking from the power steering pipes. Fairly certain its the pipes anyway. Would be interested in any feedback - assume it's not from the rack for example.

Also, any recommendations for new pipes? I found this on ebay
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154051514021?hash=item23de2f8ea5:g:TEIAAOSwsl5kcHLc
Or should I look to spend more for potentially better parts?

Thanks!

Carolyn

Quote from: MrChris on November 10, 2023, 10:31Hi all, steering started making some horrific noises the other day. Noticed a bit of oil on the drive from the front of the car. Have had a look and clearly oil was leaking from the power steering pipes. Fairly certain its the pipes anyway. Would be interested in any feedback - assume it's not from the rack for example.

Also, any recommendations for new pipes? I found this on ebay
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154051514021?hash=item23de2f8ea5:g:TEIAAOSwsl5kcHLc
Or should I look to spend more for potentially better parts?

Thanks!

Those look replacements look fine to me. 
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

J88TEO

Extra £10.00 gets you a brand new set.

MrChris

Quote from: J88TEO on November 10, 2023, 12:45Extra £10.00 gets you a brand new set.

These are brand new. I liked  the look of them because it's a "real" picture rather than a stock one.

MrChris

Bought the pipes. Ravenol E-PCF currently £15 per bottle from Ravenol themselves. As with everything, prices have gone up!

Ardent

Are 1 or 2 bottles required?

Don't have any issues but would like to replace the fluid regardless.

Ardent

Answered own question.
Bottle is 1L
Fluid required 0.6L

Joesson

Quote from: MrChris on November 10, 2023, 18:53Bought the pipes. Ravenol E-PCF currently £15 per bottle from Ravenol themselves. As with everything, prices have gone up!

I paid £13.45ex VAT, £16.14 inc VAT in April 2021 / L of Ravenol E-PSF
Shipping was extra, together with 5 L of their OTC coolant concentrate that was £6.90 /£8.28 .
I did buy 2 bottles and gave it very thorough flush through and still had a little lefft.
I did remove the rotor and cleaned the reservoir of the detritus at the bottom before flushing.

MrChris

Quote from: Ardent on November 10, 2023, 20:01Answered own question.
Bottle is 1L
Fluid required 0.6L

I bought 2 anyway so that I have plenty to do a flush.

Joesson

Quote from: MrChris on November 11, 2023, 14:04I bought 2 anyway so that I have plenty to do a flush.
As my above post, I did a thorough flush and had 150 ml left from 2L.

MrChris

Update: new pipes are in. Probably used under 1.5l of Ravenol E-PSF in all to bleed.

As for the pipes, there appears to be the smallest of leaks from the circled bit in my picture below. It's done up pretty tight and I dare not go tighter, any tips or tricks to help this not leak..?

J88TEO

You need to tighten it until there is no leak.

MrChris

Quote from: J88TEO on November 15, 2023, 14:07You need to tighten it until there is no leak.

Hmm okay, I might give it another go later then, feel like it's pretty much at it's max though. Btw I have sent you a PM with a pic of the old pipes.

normanh

Use some PTFE tape on the threads

Norman

J88TEO

Quote from: MrChris on November 15, 2023, 14:20Btw I have sent you a PM with a pic of the old pipes
Chris,
Replied.

Joesson

@MrChris
As above tape could help, if the leak is via the thread, but not if it is along the pipe.
I would use such as a turkey buster ( best ask MrsChrie first!) or siphon to lower the fluid level and then remove the fitting and clean the female part of the cone with a cotton bud and check the male part of the cone for imperfection and clean the thread with a tooth brush. Wipe all dry as best as possible. cleanliness is important. Try a dry assembly finger tight. If all feels better than before all might be well, but to be sure and avoid a repeat performance try some ptfe thread sealing tape.

MrChris

Thanks all, makes sense, clean it up and PTFE tape it is.

Carolyn

The seal is between the flair on the end of the pipe and the seat in the pump body.  Tape on the threads won't do the job.  As Joesson recommends, open it up and clean the seat and the end of the pipe. A mild abrasive (400 wet&dry) on the seat will help.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Tags: