Sump

Started by Newbie57, November 13, 2023, 12:18

Newbie57

My sump pan has surface rust on the rhs so was considering getting a replacement. Seem cheap on  eBay. Any recommendations

Joesson

@Newbie57

@ruud2boy Posted that he has just fitted a replacement sump-
https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?msg=897493

PS for some reason the above link is not exact!
It will get you to the page , then scroll to post #8

AJRFulton

Seems obvious but any reason why if it's just surface rust, you're not just cleaning it up, treating then painting?

Carolyn

Quote from: AJRFulton on November 13, 2023, 13:06Seems obvious but any reason why if it's just surface rust, you're not just cleaning it up, treating then painting?

Makes sense to me.  Getting the old one off is a pain and best avoided if it's really not required.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Topdownman

Some of them do go porous and the replacements are cheap so there is an argument to just do it.

Certainly easier to treat and repaint though and you dont have to tie it in with an oil change.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

AJRFulton

Quote from: Carolyn on November 13, 2023, 13:12Makes sense to me.  Getting the old one off is a pain and best avoided if it's really not required.

Absolutely, unless it needs changed why have the potential hassle of threading one of the stud holes (very easy done on the aluminium block), or getting the sealant wrong and having to redo it (again, it happens).

MrChris

Quote from: AJRFulton on November 13, 2023, 21:13Absolutely, unless it needs changed why have the potential hassle of threading one of the stud holes (very easy done on the aluminium block), or getting the sealant wrong and having to redo it (again, it happens).

Can confirm, it's not as easy as you might think, especially when lying on your back trying to line everything up. Totally doable though.

J88TEO

I have done it and it wasn't too difficult.

ruud2boy

I was thinking I'd have a crack at changing the sump myself, but then thought better of it and got my guy to do the job. The old one on mine appeared to have developed pinholes in it, so a replacement was definitely needed. They're easily available due to the ubiquity of the engine - it was only £40. No gasket, it's sealant paste, but no more puddles on the garage floor since it's been swapped.

Tags: