Cleaning the MAF service period

Started by fawtytoo, November 24, 2023, 16:48

fawtytoo

I've gathered, from posts on here, that the MAF is not a service item hence why we clean it ourselves. The question is, how often does it need to be cleaned? Every 6 months/5,000 miles? And, if I was cleaning it more often to maintain performance, is that an indication it needs replacing?

I'm not saying mine is problematic, it's just for information.
"My name is not important" - Slartibartfast

Carolyn

I clean mine when I change the oil. That seems to suffice.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Ardent

Same here, once a year generally. Just tie it in with a service.

Beachbum957

We run a stock airbox and filter, and have only cleaned the MAF once in 16 years just because it was off.  It made no difference.  But we have changed the filter a number of times.  Perhaps one option is to clean the MAF when you change the filter.  If you are running a CAI, many of those filters are not very good, and so the MAF will probably need cleaned more often.

Alex Knight

I run a pod filter, I've never cleaned my MAF in 10 years.

Car pulls as strongly as ever.

2ZZ mind you.

Joesson

The MAF being behind the air filter should mean that it is in clean air and as #3 and #4 above, iirc I have cleaned the MAF only once or twice in my ownership.

fawtytoo

My car is stock in every way. If I'm cleaning the MAF approx every 1-2,000 miles, do I need a new one? It makes a difference every time I clean it. The car has done about 71,000 miles and serviced with a new air filter.

Petrus

Quote from: Joesson on November 25, 2023, 17:36The MAF being behind the air filter should mean that it is in clean air and as #3 and #4 above, iirc I have cleaned the MAF only once or twice in my ownership.

For one filtering is always a compromise so some fine dust always passes through and secondly the flow of air creates mild static so over time there will be sóm
 coating´ on the sensor.

Joesson

Quote from: Petrus on November 25, 2023, 19:16For one filtering is always a compromise so some fine dust always passes through and secondly the flow of air creates mild static so over time there will be sóm
 coating´ on the sensor.

That could be a valid consideration. Conversely could the MAF cleaner fluid have an adverse affect if over used I wonder. NB Does not apply to me and certainly not my daily that is @North of 100k, serviced regularly by Ford Dealer and MAF cleaned once by myself.
MAF cleaning is not mentioned in the service schedule.

Ardent

As something that is not even mentioned in the service schedule. A 1 time clean is, by default, over used.

I take comfort from cleaning, knowing the maf is providing accurate info to the ecu.

Petrus

Quote from: Ardent on November 25, 2023, 19:44I take comfort from cleaning, knowing the maf is providing accurate info to the ecu.

There is ample evidence, incl. personal experience, that cleaning makes the info more accurate and addresses measuring accuracy.
Same applies to sports filtering fluids. Both the minutest coating with foam filter type sticky stuff or K&N filter type static fluid will upset the measuring.

fawtytoo

Quote from: Joesson on November 25, 2023, 19:36Conversely could the MAF cleaner fluid have an adverse affect if over used I wonder.
That's interesting. The first time I cleaned it could have been the first time ever in the car's history. But I'm using electrical contact cleaner which was the only thing available at the time. Perhaps not the best cleaner for a MAF?

Gaz mr-s

Quote from: fawtytoo on November 26, 2023, 11:44But I'm using electrical contact cleaner which was the only thing available at the time. Perhaps not the best cleaner for a MAF?

Some people think it's the only product to use.

Joesson

Quote from: fawtytoo on November 26, 2023, 11:44That's interesting. The first time I cleaned it could have been the first time ever in the car's history. But I'm using electrical contact cleaner which was the only thing available at the time. Perhaps not the best cleaner for a MAF?

Pretty sure that's what I use, I could go and check, but  it's dark and cold outside on the way to the garage, so maybe another time.
There are other questions and answers on the  www. concerning this cleaning procedure.
That it should be done is likely the consensus of my reading. How frequently is the debatable part.
I do very little mileage in my 2 and may have cleaned it twice. I did not find it rewarding, rather more a chore as is anything around the OE filter box.
Much more mileage in my 100k plus daily and I've done that once. As mentioned / not mentioned / on service schedule.
@Petrus mentioned oil soaked air filter systems, that surely can't be beneficial to a device such as a MAF, but otherwise my thoughts would be to clean it as frequently, or infrequently as you feel comfortable with.
Remembering of course that our 2's are sports cars and must perform as such. As with beauty such performance is in the eye of the beholder and we each have our own way of doing or not doing things.

Ardent

Clean maf vs filthy maf.
E5 vs e10.

For me. All about optimising what I have.

Petrus

Quote from: Ardent on November 26, 2023, 21:34Clean maf vs filthy maf.
E5 vs e10.

For me. All about optimising what I have.

Ditto Iridium plugs and premium oil. Per km the cost uplift for optimising is peanuts.

McMr2

This falls firmly into the 'leaving it alone unless I have an issue' category, but appreciate others seem to have found positive results.
2004 Silver. Stock(ish).

Ardent

You might have an issue you are not aware of.
Less than optimal economy or efficiency, if filthy then will be sending poor info to the ecu.

McMr2

Quote from: Ardent on November 27, 2023, 20:43You might have an issue you are not aware of.
Less than optimal economy or efficiency, if filthy then will be sending poor info to the ecu.

Possibly, but the car pulls well, returns decent mpg and I scan for codes periodically. Might clean it at some point for comparison.
2004 Silver. Stock(ish).

Iain

Quote from: McMr2 on November 27, 2023, 19:10This falls firmly into the 'leaving it alone unless I have an issue' category.

Exactly this.

Ardent

Quote from: McMr2 on November 27, 2023, 22:22Possibly, but the car pulls well, returns decent mpg and I scan for codes periodically. Might clean it at some point for comparison.
No direct codes for the maf.

Ardent

For completeness, I also reset the ecu at the same time I clean the maf.

McMr2

Quote from: Ardent on November 28, 2023, 07:55No direct codes for the maf.

Indeed, but plenty of (most?) codes don't correspond to specific components and highlight a fault condition instead. The car runs well, on top of servicing so if it ain't broke...

2004 Silver. Stock(ish).

Petrus

Quote from: McMr2 on November 28, 2023, 08:39Indeed, but plenty of (most?) codes don't correspond to specific components and highlight a fault condition instead. The car runs well, on top of servicing so if it ain't broke...

The point is that there is quite a lot of leeway in the tolerances either way of optimal. The engine will work ok, just not optimal.

Again the ´if it ain´t broke´ applies to spark plugs, engine oil. even valve play too. Even tyres! The latter are perhaps the clearest example without electronic fault codes. Those will go more and more suboptimal till onesélf decides enough is enough.
I have replaced both front and rear AD08R rubbers with quite a lot of profile still. The fronts even only just over half worn. They were however getting gradually less till in mý opinion totally cycled out and new ones made a world of difference.
Cleaning the MAF is a lot simpler/cheaper  :))
...and seeing how much lack of 1ZZ hp is lamented, one would think keeping all horses in optima forma would be as important ;-)

McMr2

Quote from: Petrus on November 28, 2023, 09:40The point is that there is quite a lot of leeway in the tolerances either way of optimal. The engine will work ok, just not optimal.

Again the ´if it ain´t broke´ applies to spark plugs, engine oil. even valve play too. Even tyres! The latter are perhaps the clearest example without electronic fault codes. Those will go more and more suboptimal till onesélf decides enough is enough.
I have replaced both front and rear AD08R rubbers with quite a lot of profile still. The fronts even only just over half worn. They were however getting gradually less till in mý opinion totally cycled out and new ones made a world of difference.
Cleaning the MAF is a lot simpler/cheaper  :))
...and seeing how much lack of 1ZZ hp is lamented, one would think keeping all horses in optima forma would be as important ;-)

Not really a valid comparison - tyres/spark plugs, engine oil are all regular serviceable items. If someone can show me hp gains to back up the last statement I'm all ears.

As I said in my original post, I recognise other members for it and seem to have positive responses.
2004 Silver. Stock(ish).

Tags: