Cleaning the MAF service period

Started by fawtytoo, November 24, 2023, 16:48

Ardent

No hp gains to had. May or may not recover some lost ones, but no actual gains in the traditional sense.

McMr2

Quote from: Ardent on November 28, 2023, 13:29No hp gains to had. May or may not recover some lost ones, but no actual gains in the traditional sense.

Of course, I mean the principle of having a measurable benefit from the pre-cleaned state.

Doing something as it gives a subjective benefit is a fine reason for this type of thing, my point was that having tried this many years ago when I got the car, the subjective difference was the square root of naff all so I don't waste my time.
2004 Silver. Stock(ish).

Ardent

Fair enough.

I seem to have missed your post about having previously done it. My apologies.

McMr2

Quote from: Ardent on November 28, 2023, 18:09Fair enough.

I seem to have missed your post about having previously done it. My apologies.

I didn't go into that much detail TBF, jumped straight to the part about not doing it!
2004 Silver. Stock(ish).

fawtytoo

Quote from: McMr2 on November 28, 2023, 12:53If someone can show me hp gains to back up the last statement I'm all ears.

As I said in my original post, I recognise other members for it and seem to have positive responses.
I wouldn't say that I get more hp from cleaning the MAF. What I do get is a more responsive pickup from the throttle. And it's quite noticeable.

The MAF never "looks" dirty when I clean it, but certainly is making a difference when I do.
"My name is not important" - Slartibartfast

MisterK

Quote from: fawtytoo on November 28, 2023, 20:49I wouldn't say that I get more hp from cleaning the MAF. What I do get is a more responsive pickup from the throttle. And it's quite noticeable.

The MAF never "looks" dirty when I clean it, but certainly is making a difference when I do.

My suggestion to anyone who has not cleaned it is to drive the car, clean the MAF, then drive the car again on the same route under the same conditions.....does it feel different?  I think it does with better throttle response.  I have had a K&N panel fitted for nealy 19 years & I think cleaning the MAF definitely helps & does no harm.  Each to his own mind you... ;)
MARK K - Original Owner/ \'Best In Class\' winner, \'Show n Shine\', MR2DC National Event 2017.

Dev

Quote from: Alex Knight on November 25, 2023, 14:37I run a pod filter, I've never cleaned my MAF in 10 years.

Car pulls as strongly as ever.

2ZZ mind you.

I stoped cleaning mine as well ever since I switched from a oil gauze filter to a dry flow.
On my Lexus it has never been cleaned except once and there was no difference so I stopped.  I think there is value in cleaning it if there is a problem with dirt contamination on the MAF wires but that is a problem with what is upstream, if that is the case you are ruining your engine. Cleaning it is just  trying to solve an unintended consequence of bad filtration.   When I removed my MAF a year ago to clean my dry flow filter I checked the MAF and it was clean. 

fawtytoo

I have a new theory on this. The MAF never looks dirty but "cleaning" it makes a difference. Perhaps the MAF is not working 100% and the cleaner fluid is "fixing" it due to it being cold from a pressurised aerosol can. So maybe it's not that the MAF is dirty but the cold cleaner fluid somehow revives it temporarily. And given a MAF doesn't throw codes (correct?), I can't say for certain the MAF is 100% ok.

Interestingly, I haven't "cleaned" it for a while and performance is excellent still with a good throttle response. But then it is Winter and ambient temperatures are lower.

I'm going to assume it's temperamental and just needs replacing.
"My name is not important" - Slartibartfast

Tags: