Car turns over but not starting

Started by ty222, December 9, 2023, 10:34

ty222

Hi guys

I'm really having no luck with my 2 lately, this week it's been driving well and then it got to Wednesday and the car wouldn't start

Seems to turn over fine, I even tried jumper cables, but no start .

I have since replaced all spark plugs and nothing.

Any ideas on what I should try next please ?the turnover seems powerful and consistent and I have half a tank if fuel. Toad immobilizer is off or it wouldn't crank. I am sad!

Gaz mr-s

I'm not an expert on this subject. I believe the standard Toyota immobiliser can go faulty & the car will still turn over.  Toad-?  An aftermarket?

Carolyn

Me too 'Toad'??

The cars will turn over with the immobiliser on, but won't start.  That's true for Euro model cars and JDM cars with Thatcham immobiliser.  Usually an immobilser kills the fuel pump or ignition but not the starter.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

ty222

My immobiliser is toad but I'm sure that's working because mine doesn't even turn over unless the clutch is in and the bottom left button has disarmed it.

I don't believe it's got a standard one as it's an import and even the key is custom.

I'll go and check the fuel pump has power next I guess.its just crazy it was working fine without any hiccup and now this, I just love winter  :'(

ty222

Guys I'm quite confident it's not my immobiliser, my immobiliser goes green as it should and the red light disappears showing it's disarmed . I can then hear the whirring noise stop as normal.

paulj

If it is not the immobiliser then the search must go back to basics.  To start the engine you need fuel and spark.  Check your sparkies and also make sure fuel is getting to the injectors or the rail.  Good luck!
Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

Joesson

@ty222

As above "To start the engine you need fuel and sparks".
You replaced your plugs so they should be good to go.
Fuel in the right place needs to be determined.
However , these need to be synchronised.
In 60 years I have had such a problem three times.
Once with a gear driven cam shaft, once with a belt driven and once with a chain drive.
The sprockets had worn, the chain slipped and the car would not start.
I found that because air was blowing out of the carburettor as the engine was turned over.
I have not read of such wear on our 2 / 1ZZ,  but!

The electronic ignition could, perhaps,  be out of sync , can't help with that, as unlike a distributor there's not much to see.

As above, "Good luck".

McMr2

Quote from: ty222 on December  9, 2023, 10:34Hi guys

I'm really having no luck with my 2 lately, this week it's been driving well and then it got to Wednesday and the car wouldn't start

Seems to turn over fine, I even tried jumper cables, but no start .

I have since replaced all spark plugs and nothing.

Any ideas on what I should try next please ?the turnover seems powerful and consistent and I have half a tank if fuel. Toad immobilizer is off or it wouldn't crank. I am sad!

Sorry to ask the obvious but have you had any warning lights/codes?

Were you working on anything on the car around the same time, even if seemingly unrelated?
2004 Silver. Stock(ish).

shiny

Ardent

Quote from: shiny on December 11, 2023, 05:59Crank shaft sensor?
Connections clean and secure if not the sensor itself.

ty222

Thanks for the replies, im going to test the fuel rail and injectors today to make sure its getting there, after that ill do some research on the crank shaft sensor, thanks for all of your help.

* no lights on the dashboard

mr2garageswindon

Wiring earth on side of cylinder head loose/ corroded.
Pretty sure that is shared earth with coils/injectors.. Easy and free to check.

Gaz mr-s

I'd doubt the crank sensor. Usual symptoms with it is misfires, at 4 or 5k rpm. I haven't heard of one conking-out in your circumstances.

shiny

Quote from: Gaz mr-s on December 11, 2023, 19:49I'd doubt the crank sensor. Usual symptoms with it is misfires, at 4 or 5k rpm. I haven't heard of one conking-out in your circumstances.
Crank sensor on my Vauxhall Vectra years ago engine cranked but no sign of life. Just a suggestion.

thetyrant

Crank sensor or the wiring/earth to it.
Ex-2005 roadster  owner, i will be back :D

ty222

Fuel Rail and Injectors working, looks like the crack sensor is next to check, seems a pain to get to, i had a quick look but couldnt spot it so ill get her jacked up high this weekend.

Ardent

True. Sure there has been a few incidences reported on here that the connection has been found to be loose. Sensor ok, just poor connection.

Carolyn

Quote from: ty222 on December 14, 2023, 16:18Fuel Rail and Injectors working, looks like the crack sensor is next to check, seems a pain to get to, i had a quick look but couldnt spot it so ill get her jacked up high this weekend.

Bottom of the chain cover towards the firewall. The crank senor earth can cause issues and crank sensors can fail.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

ty222

Best owners club around. The problem was the crank sensor earth. Absolute pain to navigate, my bolt head snapped off too so I relocated the earth and my car is now working again

Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions, without this forum I would not have found this.

Ardent

Quote from: ty222 on December 16, 2023, 21:04Best owners club around. The problem was the crack sensor earth.
#9 and #10

Happy issue resolved and cheaply if not easily/comfortably.

Tags: