Battery

Started by Craigjm, January 19, 2024, 13:42

Craigjm

I think my battery is dead. Its been a touch slower to start a couple of times in the last month. Today I had to use the key to get in and there is no response to the key at all not even a click. Odd as it had a long run of 100 miles yesterday. Will get a new battery though I guess as that is the first port of call. Any suggestions on which to avoid?

Petrus

Not saying you may not need to replace it but thát dead after a long drive is most likely something left switched on p.e. the door not entírely closed leaving the interior light on.

Craigjm

Quote from: Petrus on January 19, 2024, 14:03Not saying you may not need to replace it but thát dead after a long drive is most likely something left switched on p.e. the door not entírely closed leaving the interior light on.

Yeah i wrote that a bit quick the long journey was tuesday and then a very short one yesterday. The AA can come out and have a look. Both doors completely closed but obviously cant tell about the light maybe being on because there is no power at all now. Will get a proper test

Carolyn

The battery will probably be buggered if it's gone dead flat. Deep discharge does them no good at all.

It may be that it's just the battery that's the problem, but it's also worth checking the alternator output. It should be making 14 volts plus.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

J88TEO

I left my interior light on one night and battery went dead the next morning. Charged it up and it has been OK since.

Craigjm

Top marks to Petrus. Got the car started and what came on? The interior light!

Seems to be alright now. The tester gadget suggests it's at 80% capacity and yeah the alternator is fine that's charging no bother. The battery is a Yuasa with a date sticker of June 2022 which was only 4 months before I bought it

Tags: