Hooligan Racing - Malvern

Started by Dudi, January 23, 2024, 19:29

Dudi

What's the feedback like on this place for MR2 maintenance and modifications?

Topdownman

"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Carolyn

He did.  And I had to unpick the mess they left after charging quite a bit of money.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Gibla

That wasn't from Hooligan @Carolyn

Rhys, the owner/operator at Hooligan in Malvern is a little rough n ready with none of the typical silver-tongued patter of some garages.

*But* I found him to be reasonably priced, quite thorough.....but think he is taking on few new customers from what I gleaned from my last visit < he claimed he was stowed under with existing work.
stock 2001 Dark Green MR-S (6R4)
stock 2004 Black - repurchased from guy who bought yellow 'un

Newbie57

Done a couple of jobs for me. Half shaft and rear subframe.  Good price no complaints to date.

Dudi

It can't just be me who's had an interesting saga with this lot as of late. The cars back with Rogue Motorsport as we speak and once they've got to the bottom of their investigation hopefully I can expand on this experience.

Just as a starter, a repair which was stated to be done "a couple of weeks mate" meant they had the car for 22 months. No that's not a typo.

jvanzyl

Wtf.. that's insane. What was the repair?

Dudi

Insane indeed.

Fit a brand new gearbox which was delivered in May 2022, swap Quaife from old gearbox.

Fit oil and gearbox cooler. New throttle pedal and MOT.

22 months later it was transported to Rogue as an MOT was never carried out. I can't comment on the standard of the work until Matt at Rogue has checked the car thoroughly but it has been an ordeal.

jvanzyl

Quote from: Dudi on February 28, 2024, 23:15Insane indeed.

Fit a brand new gearbox which was delivered in May 2022, swap Quaife from old gearbox.

Fit oil and gearbox cooler. New throttle pedal and MOT.

22 months later it was transported to Rogue as an MOT was never carried out. I can't comment on the standard of the work until Matt at Rogue has checked the car thoroughly but it has been an ordeal.

Wow.. I hope the work that was done was done properly as I'm going to guess they're not the type of place that provides compensation or refunds. Good luck.

SuperArt

You cannot view this attachment.

No you're not alone.
Speak with SJ auto sport, they've had to rectify Hooligan jobs.

I never usually judge a book by its cover, but from the photos I've seen of their operations, it's not a place I'd go to for anything but simple routine maintenance. It looks more like a breakers yard to me.
On the other end of the spectrum you have R2 Automotive with a full team of master techs and admin working turning over a busy schedule of fleet and super cars often 12 hour days, separate clean room for engine builds and now opened a coachworks in the unit across the road.
That's where Im comfortable spending my money.
Best regards,
Arthur
Essex - "Always happy to meet up for a weekend drive"
Making demented squirrel noises since 2014
TTE "Turbo Dodo" - https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?msg=797148
TTE Turbo "Friday" - https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=73711.0

Dudi

Quote from: SuperArt on March  1, 2024, 12:29You cannot view this attachment.

No you're not alone.

I never usually judge a book by its cover, but from the photos I've seen of their operations, it's not a place I'd go to for anything but simple routine maintenance. It looks more like a breakers yard to me.
On the other end of the spectrum you have R2 Automotive with a full team of master techs and admin working turning over a busy schedule of fleet and super cars often 12 hour days, separate clean room for engine builds and now opened a coachworks in the unit across the road.

Not very active on socials but which forum/group is this by the way?

Dev

Quote from: SuperArt on March  1, 2024, 12:29You cannot view this attachment.

No you're not alone.

I would like to hear the other side of the story before I pass judgement but wow. It makes me feel lucky I do my own work and have had a reliable journey in this hobby for all of these years. Something like that would turn me off for good and would have me buy a factory car with a warranty and never mess with it.

It reminds of a shop in my country that everyone would praise that did bad work and defended when things were going very wrong until it was too late and many were burned.

Dudi

There is another side to the story but there is only one set of facts, having to deal with maintenance of a number of cars in my garage I've quickly learned to keep things in writing and well recorded in case of any recourse.

Let's let Rogue carry out their due diligence, there is already damage to the car Matt has made me aware of but I don't want to speculate. Hopefully Hooligan have been professional on the gearbox and the mechanicals as it's rather difficult to locate a brand new E153 from Toyota, I was lucky to get one of the last few available.

Tags: