Rear suspension refresh

Started by tomato, February 20, 2024, 17:31

tomato

Quick check list, have a misty rear shock which was on MOT last time round, while the car feels ok thinking will replace before next MOT, but was not sure what else to replace.

Want to keep standard as much as parts allow.

Already ordered:

New rear shocks absorbers
New rear springs
New bellow dust cover things
New drop links

Was wondering worth changing top mounts? thinking they dont really move?

Anything else worth changing while its in bits?

Front suspension seems find so leaving that for another time.

Anyone know of any places to get suspension bolts and nuts kits? You just know some are going to be buggers.

Parts going to local garage to put on, but expecting some fuss giving the car 24 years old 😁

McMr2

Quote from: tomato on February 20, 2024, 17:31Quick check list, have a misty rear shock which was on MOT last time round, while the car feels ok thinking will replace before next MOT, but was not sure what else to replace.

Want to keep standard as much as parts allow.

Already ordered:

New rear shocks absorbers
New rear springs
New bellow dust cover things
New drop links

Was wondering worth changing top mounts? thinking they dont really move?

Anything else worth changing while its in bits?

Front suspension seems find so leaving that for another time.

Anyone know of any places to get suspension bolts and nuts kits? You just know some are going to be buggers.

Parts going to local garage to put on, but expecting some fuss giving the car 24 years old 😁

Best to assess the top mounts when they're off but they might be sound as they're well tucked away.

Shouldn't be too much fuss, it's quite a simple job and replacing the droplinks means the old ones can be removed by any means necessary! If it's a decent garage they should have a poke about and advise anything else. Worth eyeballing the anti roll bar and bushes while they're in the area.

Might be interesting handling if you're only do the rears, depending on how healthy the front springs and shocks are.
2004 Silver. Stock(ish).

Joesson

@tomato
When I refreshed the suspension, front and rear, on my 2 the front "bellow dust cover things" were in shreds and had been advised on the previous MOT. The rear "bellow dust cover things" were as new and so I left the OE items in place.
For reference the car was on around 60k at the time and 20 years .

paulj

Dont forget to get the alignment checked by the garage once all the work is done
Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

Ardent

Iain

Rear top mounts will most likely be fine. Fronts are the ones that wear.

tomato

Quote from: Ardent on February 20, 2024, 19:52Bump stops?
They come in the pack with the dust cover, assume they are the same thing.

Ardent

Craigjm

The top mounts are a no brainer. I've just done my full suspension all round

Ardent

Is that a no brainer as in;

They were shot to shit.
Or
All tickety boo fine and dandy.

Craigjm

Quote from: Ardent on February 21, 2024, 22:15Is that a no brainer as in;

They were shot to shit.
Or
All tickety boo fine and dandy.

As in just change them when doing the shocks  :)

MarkB1

Quote from: Joesson on February 20, 2024, 18:47@tomato
When I refreshed the suspension, front and rear, on my 2 the front "bellow dust cover things" were in shreds and had been advised on the previous MOT. The rear "bellow dust cover things" were as new and so I left the OE items in place.
For reference the car was on around 60k at the time and 20 years .
They are not an mot item, some newer cars don't even have them. My fronts were in pieces 12 years ago, they've never been mentioned at an mot.I only fitted new ones last week when replacing the front springs.

SurreyMR2

Just replaced all my suspension and rear mounts were perfect so kept.

Fronts were also good except one of the rubbers where spring sits was cracked so just replaced this.

Mine is a 2001 with 55,000 miles

Suspension is all good now, nice & tight without any knocks etc...

fawtytoo

And check headlight aim afterwards.
"My name is not important" - Slartibartfast

Tags: