Handbrake imbalance

Started by Rocket Monkey, February 26, 2024, 19:41

Rocket Monkey

I've just dropped my car back onto it's wheels having completed a refresh of the brakes and I'm a baffled why the issue I went to fix would appear to remain. I had a problem with the LH rear brake not releasing fully and on inspection the cables and calipers had all seen better days.

So...
  • Both rear calipers have been replaced for refreshed units from MR2Ben
  • Both handbrake cables have been replaced
  • Flexi hose replaced with Goodridge hoses
  • Rear discs and pads already replaced less than 250 miles ago
  • System fully bled
  • Handbrake adjusted after pumping the brake pedal 5+ times with the engine running
  • 8 clicks max pull on the handbrake

The RH wheel moves freely with the handbrake off, the LH wheel is dragging significantly.

Incidentally (or perhaps not), the two calipers supplied weren't the same with visibly different methods in how they had been reconditioned and the mouldings weren't the same either so I assume they are pattern parts from different manufacturers; could this be an issue?

The handbrake cables used as follows;
  • LH cable Pagid 17.1229
  • RH cable Pagid 17.1230

With all the handbrake parts replaced (other than the handbrake lever itself and yoke cable which moves freely) I'm at a loss as to why I have such an imbalance across the two calipers. See the pic to illustrate the difference with the handbrake on. There dosn't appear to be any adjustment left to right, anyone with an idea of where to look next?

Gaz mr-s

In my opinion, don't set the adjustment on the number of clicks.  An MOT tester will only comment if there isn't any upward travel left.  I usually adjust the tension up a bit before the test, then turn it back.  Leaving the car in gear is done by many.
There is an opinion, supposedly from a Toyota Master Tech that the auto handbrake adjustment doesn't work until 7 clicks.  No questions please, - I know no more.

Re cables & caliper. Some will say only buy genuine Toyota cables.  Whether someone will come on & say they've used Pagid successfully you'll have to wait & see.

But a basic to do is check whether the same amount of travel of the caliper lever will apply each brake reasonably equally.  Two pairs of hands. Put a pipe or deep socket on the levers & compare them.

jvanzyl

Did you take photos of the rear callipers prior to installation?

Suppliers can make mistakes..
also what brand were your pads on the rears?

Joesson

@Rocket Monkey
An unmatched pair of calipers may not be the best place to start.
I would not have accepted them!
Your photo does show an imbalance in the system.
Was the piston fully wound back and face cutout correctly orientated on both calipers to engage with the pin on the pads?
The "How To" suggests 20 or so operations of the foot pedal, the 5 given may not have been sufficient.
The number of clicks is a fair indicator of adjustment and has served well enough for many.

Tags: