MOT high CO emissions

Started by fawtytoo, March 6, 2024, 17:34

fawtytoo

The MOT tester didn't fail it as it did eventually fall within CO limits (although without any further revving), but was way high on his first try. That wasn't an issue last year. My mechanic suggested 99 octane fuel as the ethanol content is lower and may affect it. The car performs very well so I've no reason to suspect anything wrong. I do about 3,000 miles pa with various driving styles (nothing excessive). It had a service last year which included new spark plugs.

Is this an issue I should be concerned about?
"My name is not important" - Slartibartfast

Carolyn

Have you got the original cat?  If so, it's probably past its use-by date!

A replacement from Cats2U will sort you out.  They also supply a fixing kit, but the crush gaskets are bobbins. 
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

fawtytoo

Yes, probably the original cat. But wouldn't that be mileage based use-by rather than actual age? The car is 22 years old and done 72,000 miles.

Carolyn

They don't last forever.  Mine gave up the ghost around 80,000.

Alex Knight

O2 sensor(s) all working as they should be?

That would be my first port of call.

fawtytoo

Quote from: Alex Knight on March  6, 2024, 19:26O2 sensor(s) all working as they should be?
One of them is new. I guess I could change the other one regardless.

Ardent

Same tester? Same MOT station?
Arrived at MOT with car (cat) up to normal operating temp?

puma2

:) i once a few years ago  with my yellow 2 got told they struggled with mot with high emission but past it.
so was told may be cat job at the time.

so next year came same place had a conversation with them and it went in just for to look at said problem.
they found the answer it was exhaust leak buy one of the joins they fixed that and no problem since.

fawtytoo

Quote from: Ardent on March  6, 2024, 22:18Same tester? Same MOT station?
Arrived at MOT with car (cat) up to normal operating temp?
Yeah, same tester and station. I always go for a drive before arriving to get up to temperature.

fawtytoo

Someone has suggested to try some cat cleaner. Its that a good idea/make a difference? Or should I resign myself to needing a new cat?

Carolyn

I've known Cataclean to help.  As Alex said, it could be an O2 sensor, which can be checked via diagnostic app like Torque Pro (get a decent quality 'dongle' to make the connection).  An exhaust leak is also a possible culprit, as happened with @puma2

All of the above cost time money to sort, but that's kind of the way with these things. You could still end up needing a replacement cat.

Now that was bloody helpful, wasn't it? ;D  ;D

fawtytoo

It WAS helpful @Carolyn because it gives me an ordered list of things to check and replace, in cost, low to high.

fawtytoo

Quote from: Carolyn on March  9, 2024, 08:24et a decent quality 'dongle' to make the connection
Can you suggest one please? I have an ELM327 bluetooth dongle for my smart, but I don't know what protocol the OBD is on the MR2.

I do have a dongle with USB but I don't have a laptop anymore.

Ardent

Usually work fine with android phones.
Apple phones seem to be a bit finicky in terms of Bluetooth compatibility.

I have a cheap elm327 type dongle works fine with torque pro.

Joesson

@fawtytoo

@Carolyn mentions a possible exhaust leak, her " Flappy Stick " could help locate the leak.

NB: A Flappy Stick is a stick with a piece of tissue paper stuck to one end.
With the engine running the tissue is moved around the exhaust system in search of a leak when the tissue will flap.

Alex Knight

Carolyn

Quote from: fawtytoo on March 10, 2024, 13:36Can you suggest one please? I have an ELM327 bluetooth dongle for my smart, but I don't know what protocol the OBD is on the MR2.

I do have a dongle with USB but I don't have a laptop anymore.

Unless you have a JDM import (MR-S) the protocol is the same as all other Euro OBD.

I had an ELM 327 but I didn't meet with great success with it.  Mind you, I do have a JDM car and that might have had something to do with it.

I ended up getting an 'OBDLink LX' as recommended by @Shazzle.  But it did cost around £50 as I recall.  So try with the one you've got before splashing out.

Tags: