seat change/compatibility

Started by ad_car_08, June 2, 2009, 00:57

ad_car_08

Don't get me wrong, I'm lovin' this hot weather, but if there's one thing that's tainting the excellent drive home after work (top down, naturally)...its my leather seats!  I *never* thought I'd say this, but I really want to get rid of my leather seats - I just can't put up with the burnt behind and clammy back after driving home or to the shops.  The fact I naturally sweat more doesn't help  s:( :( s:(   so I'd like to know whether it was possible to fit any other seats from any other car into the roadster?? My friends 56 plate leon fr has some nice figure hugging seats I'd quite like to steal. Obviously I may run into problems with the seat flipping forward so I can get to the rear bins, but is it possible to fit pretty much any seat (obviously depending on height and width) as long as a seat subframe is fabricated to fit my car? Would I run into problems with the airbags or is the switch/ground not attached to the seat subframe? Thanks in advance for any help!!
J
[size=85]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster - Track toy
Honda Civic EX 1.0T - Company Car
[/size]

ad_car_08

(Sorry ignore that J, dunno where that came from!) An example of the seats I like are below, however I think they're from the older cupra rather than the new...but that's the style I'm after and can always get someone to embroid some MR2 detail onto the back rests. Any help appreciated!
[/size]

cclarke99

Having looked into this myself, it's not easy. You'll need to:-

Find seats that are narrow enough to fit but still comfortable with a seat back not too thick so you can't get it far back enough and a base thats low enough
Make up two subframes
Fit the seat belt buckle (and sort out the pretensioner)
Sort out the switch in the passengers seat that operates the seat belt sign (or ignore it)

Alternatively there are a lot of places which recover seats (see threads on the forum), or a lot of people like leather seats, could you swap for some MR2 cloth ones?

Therre are also some threads where people have fitted aftermarket seats. Konig do some that fit straight in. Cobra will make subframes and Corbeau in the US list a subframe for the MR2

ad_car_08

Hi cclarke99, thanks for your reply, it seems a lot more complicated (finding an appropriate seat that fits, that is) than first anticipated...

Yeah, it passed my mind, but I'm really not that keen on the look of the sporty Cobra/Sparco/Corbeau type seats, that give more of an impression of race car than sedate cruiser, and unfortunately I'm not very fond of the fabric seats that come as standard in the roadster - so it wouldn't be a case of straight swap. I've always been a fan of sinking into car seats, and being held in place, which I find the standard leather seats just don't offer.

Seems a shame to just make do with throwing some plain (and saggy!) Halfords seat covers over what I've got, and it doesn't solve my itch for more huggable seats either...   s:? :? s:?
[/size]

DannyN

How about a CG Lock ?
Quote from: \"DannyN\"There are 10 types of people in the world,
Those who understand Binary and those that don\'t...

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

uktotty

cg lock screwed my seats up!
Rubbed all the way down the seat and tore it and the plastics are all scratched where it rubs

muffdan

Quote from: "uktotty"cg lock screwed my seats up!
Rubbed all the way down the seat and tore it and the plastics are all scratched where it rubs

really? I was thinking of getting one, maybe I won't bother now!
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

DannyN

I think its great one of the best mods I ever installed, quite a few people on here have them and I only know of one other person that doesnt like them on here.
The plastics behind the seats will get scratched if you just flling the belt back when you take it off so if you care then take a bit more time when your removing the belt.
Some one once said they were making a plastic one that wouldnt scratch but I dont know if it ever happened.

Its like having bucket seats and a harness without having bucket seats and harness   s8) 8) s8)   plus you can still lean over and get in the glovebox if you want

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

ad_car_08

Quote from: "DannyN"How about a CG Lock ?

I'd never heard of a CG Lock. They seem like a pretty snazzy bit of kit too......shame they might catch on the seats/plastic   s:( :( s:(
[/size]

DannyN

Not if your just a little bit careful, they are a great bit of kit and Demon Tweeks stock them and will give you discount for being a club member.

[/size]

ad_car_08

Is £40 about the going rate or can you get them cheaper elsewhere?

How do you go about getting discount at DT? Is there a sticky somewhere explaining? (scratch that, I'll search in a tick)

Right...
Now part B of the dilemma...
I was searching for cloth seats to have another gander at what they look like (Black and grey variant preferably), but came across someone who had posted about removing their red leather seats and fitting some cloth ones. Another member mentioned that they would be decreasing the value of their car by doing this (something I hadn't thought about - figured there would be plenty of Roadsters with black leather seats about) and that they should keep hold of their standard leathers.
Was the particular member (cant remember who) likely to decrease the value of their car because they had red leather seats respective to a particular (rare) model of MR2 or could I be in the same boat too?

I don't particularly want to slip on saggy halfords seat covers and ruin the "look" of the car when the roof is down. Is there any alternative, or higher quality seat cover company out there that anyone knows about. Seems a shame to have to sell on my leather seats, but they're just not right for me   s:( :( s:(
[/size]

aluk49

Quotecame across someone who had posted about removing their red leather seats and fitting some cloth ones.

That was me  :-) :-) :-)    Bought a pristine set of Black/Grey cloth seats + door cards off ebay for £70!  Much more comfy and better for holding in on fast cornering. Plus the red leather ones were giving me back ache on long journeys.  But I will change them back when/if I sell.  Much better on these hot days as well.

Al

Tags: