Hard Top, secure?

Started by Joesson, September 27, 2023, 16:36

Joesson

Speaking to a guy today that once had a red mk1, a silver/ blue mk1 that he much regrets parting with and a white mk1 that turned out to be a rust bucket and parted from with no regrets.
But, his later wheels included a BRG MGF, in period, with a cream hard top, that was "taken" in the night from his drive way.
That was "just" the hard top after getting access into the car.
I am aware that some believe a hard top offers an extra level of security, over the fabric roof, but the possible taking of the roof, with today's (inflated) prices may not be something generally considered!

105e

This is something i do think about .

ManInDandism

Quote from: Joesson on September 27, 2023, 16:36Speaking to a guy today that once had a red mk1, a silver/ blue mk1 that he much regrets parting with and a white mk1 that turned out to be a rust bucket and parted from with no regrets.
But, his later wheels included a BRG MGF, in period, with a cream hard top, that was "taken" in the night from his drive way.
That was "just" the hard top after getting access into the car.
I am aware that some believe a hard top offers an extra level of security, over the fabric roof, but the possible taking of the roof, with today's (inflated) prices may not be something generally considered!

So how many other occurrences of such theft have you ever heard about and specifically off an MR2?  I would hazard a guess at none.  The chances of it happening must tend to zero since won't be opportunistic on the basis that is a bit cumbersome to slip off and then walk down the street with under your arm.  Need to be turning up with same car or large vehicle and such scoundrels are probably making more money nicking body parts off more common cars. 
Black 2004 Roadster
Previous: Black 1994 Mk2 Turbo

Joesson

Quote from: ManInDandism on September 27, 2023, 22:47So how many other occurrences of such theft have you ever heard about and specifically off an MR2?  I would hazard a guess at none.  The chances of it happening must tend to zero since won't be opportunistic on the basis that is a bit cumbersome to slip off and then walk down the street with under your arm.  Need to be turning up with same car or large vehicle and such scoundrels are probably making more money nicking body parts off more common cars. 

You guess correctly, I have only ever seen one hard top part from a car, an MG, and come to rest on the central reservation of a M Way and the hard top theft I refer to above.
I mention the theft so that other Members are aware of the not too unlikely possibility of a similar occurrence with a Mk3 hard top with current " value" around £1,200.
We are told cars, or parts, are stolen, sometimes to order, for chop shops. I suggest not too much of a stretch of the imagination for a Mk3 owner, an accomplice or back street dealer to save/ earn several £'s.

steveash

There is someone in the US who makes a very neat locking system for the catches. Not cheap though.

Joesson

Quote from: steveash on October 14, 2023, 09:06There is someone in the US who makes a very neat locking system for the catches. Not cheap though.

Not to mention @Snelbaard 'S product that is closer to home.

fawtytoo

Quote from: steveash on October 14, 2023, 09:06There is someone in the US who makes a very neat locking system for the catches. Not cheap though.
Does that use the existing catches or like Snelbaard's? I wouldn't want the roof to be permanent.
"My name is not important" - Slartibartfast

steveash

Quote from: fawtytoo on October 14, 2023, 19:20Does that use the existing catches or like Snelbaard's? I wouldn't want the roof to be permanent.

No it seems to just block the handle from opening and just slides off when unlocked.

Joesson

Quote from: steveash on October 14, 2023, 23:18No it seems to just block the handle from opening and just slides off when unlocked.

Looks to be part of the furniture when fitted and engaged with the latch. But. What about when the hard top is off and the hood is down. There is then the base of the lock system , that is a matter of taste as to the appearance or a rather sharp edge pointing into the cabin with the lock piece in place.

fawtytoo

Talon Hardtop Security System

From $325! That's for just 2 and they only have 4 left.

steveash

I'd be a little bit concerned about knocking my head on it too. Nice to see more people making smart looking bits for our cars though.

fawtytoo

A comment from YouTube:
Quote...so the key is like a screwdriver and you turn the lock cylinder in far enough to prevent that piece from sliding off the base?  Doesn't seem very convenient.  It needs to be quick and easy.
But that could be quick and easy for the thief. Could that be unscrewed without the key? How inconvenient would it be for a thief who might be prepared for that device?

I have a factory fitted alarm. I hope that's enough of a deterrent.

Joesson

Quote from: fawtytoo on October 15, 2023, 11:14Talon Hardtop Security System

From $325! That's for just 2 and they only have 4 left.

Pricing seems to be at a different level in the US.
As is the case one thing on the www leads to another , related, in some way, and I saw a YouTube of a guy 3M wrapping a MRS/ Spyder hard top.
The Spyder owner had bought the top, pre owned, for $2,500!

Tags: