Aluminium calipers - for the rear?

Started by inigopete, October 25, 2023, 14:35

inigopete

I've read about the Prius caliper conversion for the front and the difference it can make, but is there an equivalent lightweight / upgrade for the rear wheels? (PFL 2001, in case that matters)

A search on here didn't seem to yield anything useful. I thought I'd do a bit of research before attempting the handbrake / caliper overhaul in a couple of weeks' time. I'd appreciate any advice you can offer.

Petrus

Quote from: inigopete on October 25, 2023, 14:35I've read about the Prius caliper conversion for the front and the difference it can make, but is there an equivalent lightweight / upgrade for the rear wheels? (PFL 2001, in case that matters)

A search on here didn't seem to yield anything useful. I thought I'd do a bit of research before attempting the handbrake / caliper overhaul in a couple of weeks' time. I'd appreciate any advice you can offer.

No, no alternative because of the specific nature of the hand brake.
And that is not because of lack of research by a lót of owners.  The russian bloke who pioneered the Prius solution has also tried a myriad of calipers at the rear.

thetyrant

Not a direct bolt on im sure but the rear calipers on my 2006 R53 mini Cooper S are a nice light aluminimum main body unit with built in handbrake mechanism, im sure they could be made to work on MR2 but would need some jiggery pokery on brackets and cables etc, probably more hassle than its worth for most though.
Ex-2005 roadster  owner, i will be back :D

jvanzyl

Quote from: thetyrant on October 26, 2023, 10:34Not a direct bolt on im sure but the rear calipers on my 2006 R53 mini Cooper S are a nice light aluminimum main body unit with built in handbrake mechanism, im sure they could be made to work on MR2 but would need some jiggery pokery on brackets and cables etc, probably more hassle than its worth for most though.

More hassle than replacing handbrake cables on the oem brakes?

thetyrant

Quote from: jvanzyl on October 26, 2023, 11:42More hassle than replacing handbrake cables on the oem brakes?

I would imagine a lot more work to try and make calipers fit and work, also doesnt fix the seemingly inbuilt issue with the stock cables either.
Ex-2005 roadster  owner, i will be back :D

Petrus

Quote from: thetyrant on October 26, 2023, 12:02I would imagine a lot more work to try and make calipers fit and work, also doesnt fix the seemingly inbuilt issue with the stock cables either.

The handbrake thing can fúnctionally be solved by fitting a hydraulic one.*
Is not road legal though. If thát is no issue then Wilwood has lightweight calipers that can be made to fit.

* faffing with that. Have all the hardware but have not (yet?) found a in mý eyes acceptable way to fit it while keeping the OEM one.

Tags: