Reuse car key transponder

Started by tomato, January 25, 2024, 13:52

tomato

Have seen the pages for the DIY to get yourself another key cut/coded, but if you have another transponder from another mr2, can you reset it and programme it to another 2?

Reason I ask have a broken key, but whats looks like a working transponder in the key? So thinking can get key cut, get new toyota case and recycle 😁

Joesson

Quote from: tomato on January 25, 2024, 13:52Have seen the pages for the DIY to get yourself another key cut/coded, but if you have another transponder from another mr2, can you reset it and programme it to another 2?

Reason I ask have a broken key, but whats looks like a working transponder in the key? So thinking can get key cut, get new toyota case and recycle 😁

The case of OE key of my 2 split and I was  left with the key blade and the transponder.
I bought a suitable flip key case and fitted the OE components into that.
That was maybe ten years ago and like a Zippo lighter, works every time.

tomato

Quote from: Joesson on January 25, 2024, 17:40The case of OE key of my 2 split and I was  left with the key blade and the transponder.
I bought a suitable flip key case and fitted the OE components into that.
That was maybe ten years ago and like a Zippo lighter, works every time.

Thanks, was the transponder for your car?, I have another mr2 key transponder but not for my mr2. Trying to work out if can use on mine, get case and key cut and reprogramme it if that makes sense.

Joesson

Quote from: tomato on January 25, 2024, 18:39Thanks, was the transponder for your car?, I have another mr2 key transponder but not for my mr2. Trying to work out if can use on mine, get case and key cut and reprogramme it if that makes sense.

My key mod/ repair was using my OE key.
But using Search on here, and entering
Reprogramming key transponder
The first hit I got was this:

https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?msg=621950

And some others.
So I believe that the transponder from another MR2 Mk3 Key can be reprogrammed to suit your car.
It may be there is some difference PFL to FL, so to be sure I would match the model.
To fit my key into the flip case I did need to reshape and drill the case end of the key but not a difficult process if you have a bench vice, file and a drill and drill bit sized to suit the roll pin that secures the blade into the case.

tomato

Thanks, will get the bits and give it ago 😀

paulj

As long as you have the right transponder type you can programme a previously used unit to your car.  Do the pedal dance and the car will pair it.  The car holds up to 4x transponder details, if you are coding the 5th the 1st one drops off.  Only really worth knowing if your other key stops working afterwards (!)
Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

tomato

Watched a youtube video and got the little transponder working to lock door. Key case and blank key blade from ebay on route for a fiver, so just need key cut and do do the immobiliser dance 😁

Tags: