How do you remove the door panel?

Started by Anonymous, September 26, 2003, 11:20

Anonymous

I have just bought a set of component speakers but haven't a clue how i get to the door speakers, any advice!

will it sound ok by keeping the existing wires?

GSB

[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Slacey

Hi Viggs, I got by on those instructions, but I did watch Buster closely when he fitted my components, and he is a good instructor!. I can get the panels off in around two minutes now!
If you get stuck at any point, PM me, I'm online most of the day and I'll see if I can help.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Thanks for your help!!  hopefully I can get them off in 2 mins now!!

Would you recommend cutting the panel to fit tweeters?

Are the wires easy enough to connect/disconnect in the back of a head unit or will i need to start stripping wire?

cheers,

Viggs

Anonymous

Quote from: "Viggs"Would you recommend cutting the panel to fit tweeters?

Are the wires easy enough to connect/disconnect in the back of a head unit or will i need to start stripping wire?

I decided to install my tweeters on the door panel as opposed to their original location.  I only had to widen the tweeter hole a little bit because the new ones were slightly bigger than the stock.  But be very careful when you do that (sorry if I sound patronising, but that door panel looks expensive)...

I used the existing wires to connect everything.   A little bit of stripping is required as the stock speakers use proprietary clips.  The sound, of course, is nowhere near as good as any good quality speaker cable, but good quality speaker cables weight twice as much...

Tem

Some Hifiguys say that it's a bad idea in the long run to mount the crossovers in the doors, cause closing the door a zillion times cause stress to the components.

I played it safe and mounted mine inside the cabin. Looked like the original wires only have one pair, which is divided in the door, so I had to put new wires in. Easier than I thought and at least I had a good feeling about doing the right thing  s:) :) s:)

X...what's the english word for the divider-box-thingy?

Edit: Crossover...thanks phil  s:) :) s:)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tem"X...what's the english word for the divider-box-thingy?

Crossover.

zud

It might also be worth a read of Buster's definitive guide to fitting component speakers.  There's a post called "Fitting New front speakers !!!!! All explained" further down the Audio / Security / Electrical forum.

As far as the wires go, I'm not sure how much difference they make, but I decided to change mine.  If you decide to go for it, a couple of things that it took me a while to discover...
*  The wires are a sod to get through the rubber grommet between car body and door.  I gave them a squirt of wd40 and they flew through.
*  At first I wasn't sure where the wires needed to go once they'd entered the car from the door.... if you remove the scuff plate and then plastic panel in the footwell it exposes a hole directly below.
*  To avoid removing the h/u, I found there's a connection block for the (non-existent) rear speakers.  I just connected the new speakers to that and turned the fader from front to back.

Nothing too clever there, but enough that I finished the second door much quicker than the first![/list]
Blue SMT with leather, A/C and TTE Twin.

Tem

Quote from: "zud"*  The wires are a sod to get through the rubber grommet between car body and door.  I gave them a squirt of wd40 and they flew through.

I used the old trick...sink them to soap water  s:) :) s:)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

arrh i have teached them well   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:   LOL   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Thanks for all the advice!!  

I got the door panel off in 2 mins!!  It was easy!

I have tried removing the panel in the footwell but i can't get it off!!  Am i right in thinking there is only one screw?? I need to feed a wire into the door but can't get to the wires that are there at the moment!

Cheers

Viggs

GSB

Cant remember exactly how you get the kick panel out, other than I had to remove a screw and the sill trim to get it out.

The new wire has to be fed in from the door, once its through the rubber conduit gravity should drop it out of the metal work behind the kick panel.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

o remove the kick pannel trims you hve to remove the sils first and then undo a small nut like abject which is holding the kcik pannel on it will simply pull off (witha  bit of effort)

If your looking to thread new wire into the door be warned start from the insdie out i.e. feed the cable up onto the gromet from inside the car then pull from insode the door it is very fiddley bvut can be done BUT DONT NOT CUT THE GROMMET IN ANY WAY other wise it will leek very badly   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

hope this helps   s:D :D s:D

Tags: